• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Who's still playing City of Heroes?

ph34r

First Post
Triumph Server
Cyberai, Level 17 Technology Scrapper, Katana/Regeneration

Gonna reactivate my account in a few days.

Blacklamb

First Post
I Still Play CoH, i was a First round Closed Beat invite, and have never looked back. :)

I love the game, every part of it.

Blacklamb

Laslo Tremaine

Explorer
Interesting. I was just thinking about WoW vs CoH, and put up a post on my local gaming group's forums... Here's what I had to say...
---

I have active accounts on these two MMORPGs at the moment, and I find it interesting to see how my interest waxes and wanes between them.

At the moment I have pretty much bottomed out on WoW (Worlds of Warcraft) and have swung back to CoH (City of Heroes), and I don't see this changing in the near future.

My dissenchantment with WoW is pretty much due to the prevelance of d00ds. A lot has to do with the fact that we are on a PVP server, a lot of it has to do with the level of maturity (or lack thereof) that those servers tend to attract. Right now I'm just generally burnt out on it (especially since I, of all people, have absolutely no tollerance of the tern "gay" being used as a synonym for "lame"). In any case, any time I sit down to play a MMORPG, I wistfully look at the WoW icon before launching CoH.

I'm pretty sure that I'll get over it. Maybe I just need to move over to an RP server. Maybe I should join one of the many gay or gay friendly Guilds (I gotta admit that my current guild is fairly abysmal on this point).

So right now, here are my pros and cons for each game.

City of Heroes: Pros
*Sidekicking and Exemplaring (I can always play with my friends; this is the single best feature).
*Easy to sit down and play for an hour or two. In that period of time you can at least complete a mission.
*My server is pretty mature.
*I really like my primary character. The Illusion/Radiation powersets seem to suit my style of play.
*Amazing level of Avatar customization.
*It makes a great Mutants & Masterminds character graphic generator. :-D
*You don't have to worry about loot whores.
*The badge system is kind of fun...
*Very easy grouping.

Worlds of Warcraft: Pros
*Very pretty!
*Lots of depth to the gameplay.
*Good crafting systems.
*Good quest design.
*Interesting loot.
*Virtually no death penalty.

City of Heroes: Cons
*Gameplay does not have much depth (missions get a bit repetative).
*Lack of loot (you don't have the thrill of getting that great rare drop).
*It's a shame that origins (Mutant, Magic, etc) don't have any real effect on play.
*No crafting or out of combat skill system (although they say it's coming).

Worlds of Warcraft: Cons
*Super immature player base.
*No penalties or incentives for PVP, it's just random ganking and griefage.
*Instanced dungeons all take way too long (it would be nice to have some short ones).
*Loot whores abound.
*Too much competition for crafting resources.
*Virtually all avatars look the same.
*Only nine classes, and none of them really "sing" to me...

That's it off the top of my head. As you can see, the pros of WoW are pretty major, unfortunately so are the cons. I like the game, I want to play it, but I find the experience a bit too frustrating. And now that both Mike and Craig's characters are ahead of mine, my incentive to play has been reduced even more...

With CoH, I find that I can easily jump into it, but I get bored with it after a couple of hours. It's just a bit of a grind to get those levels. But as it stands, CoH is on top for the time-being.

Spatula

Explorer
Laslo Tremaine said:
City of Heroes: Pros
*My server is pretty mature.

Worlds of Warcraft: Cons
*Super immature player base.
As you seem to note with CoH but not with WoW, maturity of the players around you is dependant on more than just the player base. Your chosen server and the time of day you're playing certainly affects who you're gaming with. In WoW, if you want to avoid the immature loudmouths: don't play on a PvP server (their natural environment) and play in the evenings. And IME, Horde players are generally more mature than Alliance, but then it could just be a question of numbers - there's a lot more Alliance players than Horde, so even if the percentage of idiots is the same there's more of them on the Alliance side.

The RP servers are no haven. Enforcer started an ENWorld guild on Feathermoon, an RP server, and I've had to leave the General chat channel there when passing through the low-level human zones.

Laslo Tremaine said:
*No penalties or incentives for PVP, it's just random ganking and griefage.
Supposedly the honor system is coming (who knows when) which should cut down on gankings. Not that that sort of thing is much of a problem on the PvE and RP servers (but I sympathize with those playing PvP servers).

Lord Pendragon

First Post
CoH is my game of choice right now. I haven't played WoW, but nothing I've seen or read about it makes me think of it as anything other than a prettier Everquest. And I've played enough of the previous games not to be excited about that. I do love Superheroes, though, and I think CoH has the best design in the business right now.

I did take a month off at one point before badges came out. Later on I might take another month off, if new content (skills, etc.) isn't added before I finish the old. But I like the reliability of the developers, their vision, and their finished product enough to stick with it for the long haul.

As far as fantasy MMOs go, I was getting excited about UXO during its development. It seemed to be trying something new with regards to quests and the relationship between PC and NPC. But of course that one was cancelled...

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Lord Pendragon said:
I haven't played WoW, but nothing I've seen or read about it makes me think of it as anything other than a prettier Everquest.
Whoever wrote the pieces you read did a poor job elucidating a central point, then. A level in EQ is composed entirely (or upwards of 98 percent) of XP gained from killing after level 3 or so.

In WoW, through level 60, XP gained in a level can be up to 50 percent from quest experience. Quests go from being a sideline to being the central point of the game.

Now, City of Heroes does this to an extent, but you can only work on three quests at a time, can't drop them if you're not interested in them or can't succeed on them (a lot of people get stuck with the capes mission for quite a while, for instance) and the storyline that flows through them is fairly sketchy at best. WoW, on the other hand, sticks your character right in the middle of the storyline for your race and while you have many choices of what to do, all of them (after level 6) are more important than "do a patrol of these phone booths."

WoW isn't right for everyone, but it does have significant differences between it and EQ1 and EQ2. (EQ2 shares some of the same ideas, but is still weighted to be much more like EQ1 in what you gain experience for, user-friendliness and the penalty for failure -- which is now shared with your entire group.)

WayneLigon

Adventurer
I'm still playing it on and off; I alternate between CoH and WoW right now. I agree with most of the pros and cons listed above. I'm still into CoH, though I wish they'd worked on something a little different for Issue 4. Apparently a LOT of people want that feature, though; at least we'll get even more costuming options at the same time.

Looking forward to the skills addition, weapons, vehicles, and other stuff; CoV will be pretty cool as well.

tburdett

Explorer
I think I've burned out on CoH a bit. I was only playing the game to help other people level and when they made the sweeping changes to the INV power set I really lost interest.

I still have a pair of level 50 characters (an INV/SS tank and an NRG/NRG blaster) and a pair of mid-20's level characters (BS/INV scrapper and KAT/SR scrapper), but I can't seem to force myself to do anything in the game but chat with friends. I don't see that changing in the near future. I'm not looking forward, at all, to the additional changes that they are going to make when PvP is activated.

Remove ads