Why are films becoming so badly-lit and difficult to see?

I haven't enjoyed new movies since they started switching from film to digital. I really like the feel of film playing through the projector. The worst are those new digital projectors where you can see what look like tiny little pixels or circles on the screen. I loved Bohemian Rhapsody but that almost ruined the experience for me.

Tl,dr: because they can.

A lot of 70s movies have this look too but for different reasons I think. I have bad night vision and dark films are always a challenge to view. One of my favorite films is dirty harry but there is a night scene in that movie that is almost impossible to see anything in (not sure if that is just due to the age of the film and restoration efforts not being 100% but I remember watching it on TV as a kid and it was dark back then too)

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
The murkiness of GoT offerings has been a real pet peeve for my wife. As far as she's concerned, what's the point of visual artistry that you can't see? Might as well be listening to a radio play or a book on tape.

Snarf Zagyg

Notorious Liquefactionist
The murkiness of GoT offerings has been a real pet peeve for my wife. As far as she's concerned, what's the point of visual artistry that you can't see? Might as well be listening to a radio play or a book on tape.

I thought it was a little overblown ... and then there was that episode of House of the Dragon where I swear I had no idea what was going on for a good 10 minutes.

Dioltach

Legend
The Green Knight was so bad it was unwatchable.
I gave up on the Green Knight long before any dark scenes, if I remember rightly. It was unwatchable for other reasons.

But I'll add another peeve: why is dialogue so hard to understand nowadays? It always seems to be drowned out by music or explosions. (To be fair, since I got a soundbar specially designed for clearer dialogue it's been less of a problem.)

And don't tell me that it's my middle-aged ears that are going deaf. The couple who live next door are half my age, and their ears - and the ears of their very young children - are ruined by their loud, thumping music.

Remove ads