• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Why are hit points generated randomly?

Klaus

First Post
Thornir Alekeg said:
For those arguing that the logic of the character build is why it should not be random, why not also kill off the idea that your class determines your hit points? Why isn't it based off of race instead? Attributes are affected by race not class. Logic says hit points should be as well.

Why does a human wizard with a 13 Strength 15 Dex and 14 Con have fewer hit points than a human fighter with the same stats? Because fighters learn lots of weapons and wear heavy armor? What does that have to do with their ability to die? Their training makes them tougher? They why isn't that reflected in their Str or Con? They learn how to avoid blows better? Why doesn't class level affect Dex or AC, then? Their combat training allows them to stand in a fight better than a wizard? Makes some sense when being attacked with swords, but how does that help when being burned by a fireball, or falling into a pit? The wizard will still die easier than the fighter then.

Isn't this just another sacred cow that deserves to be killed?
I don't think Hit Points mean what you think they mean.

Hit Points derived from racial HD reflect how generally tough you are.

Hit Points derived from class HD reflect how well you can *almost* evade a potentially killing blow.

Take a look at a Ftr 1 with 10 hp and a Ftr 10 with 80 hp. Each is hit by a longsword, for 8 hp of damage. For the Ftr 1, it means an almost deadly blow, a deep cut or some other serious injury. Another one of those will certainly kill him. For the Ftr 10, the same attack was almost entirely dodged, resulting in a minor cut to the elbow or something. The Ftr 10 can keep dodging these blows, but each minor injury he takes compromises some of his ability to successfully dodge the next attack. When he gets down to 10 hp, he is so tired/worn out that his skill is no better than that of a rookie Ftr 1.

hong

WotC's bitch
Felon said:
See, some folks want that gambler's thrill of major stakes riding on a die roll. The thing is, if the roller loses the gamble, then he's traded off short-term excitement long-term dissatisfaction. It's a bad deal.

Oh mang, you're making the baby Traveller chargen rules cry.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
Keep the random hit point rolls. And random stat rolls. I rather like the idea of somewhat random skill point rolls, too, based on class just like h.p...bloody brilliant! We've used spell points for casters for decades, and those are random-rolled too.

Hell, I've got all these dice, so I'm a-gonna use 'em! :)

The only concession I'd make is that at 1st level you get at least average h.p. for class.

Lanefan

Imp

First Post
You know, the Iron Heroes hp method makes me wonder if it might be interesting to handle character ability scores the same way, like a hybrid point-buy method. Anyone do this?

khyron1144

First Post
I've usually been the DM because I'm usually the one who owns rulebooks, since about sixth or seventh grade. I did once see a player roll up a character with one hit point at first level, since that PC's quick demise, I've been experimenting with ways to be more friendly at first level. I started with best of three and then moved to a maximum hit points at first level rule, well before 3e came out.

Somehow, once you get past first level, though, I feel I've been generous enough, and now Lady Luck can or Cruel Fate can take over.

That said, I've got no problems with Chaosium's system of average two attributes (Size and Con) or DC Heores system from Mayfair, where there's three kinds of hit points and they also act as kind of armor classes too (Body, Mind, and Spirit) in their own games.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads