Why are the biggest games Fantasy games?

Jeff Carlsen

Adventurer
There is an inherent pulpiness to fantasy. Big things, great heroes, dastardly villains. It's the stuff of cartoons and Spielberg movies, both of which are immensely popular.

We grow up with fairy tales and Disney. We imagine monsters under our bed. We pick up broom handles or umbrellas and use them as swords. Our daughters are princesses and our sons play at being warriors.

Now we have dice and rulebooks. That's all.

Some idle wondering here. While there are plenty of excellent and successful RPGs in the sci-fi, contemporary, horror, western, cyberpunk, military, superheroes, and other genres, the big daddy of RPG gaming genres tends to be fantasy.

Why do swords and spells tend to be more popular than spaceships and lasers? Is D&D (and Pathifinder) so popular because it's fantasy? Or is fantasy so popular because D&D did that first? Or some other reason?

Sci-fi gaming is hard. It's not easy coming up with all the reasons it's harder, but when I ran Alternity sci-fi, I found it much harder than D&D, even though at the time I knew the Alternity system better.

To this day, the only sci-fi RPG I've seen done really well is FATE, although Star Wars SAGA edition works fairly well too. FATE is incredibly rules-light, and their sci-fi setting involves creating a star system cooperatively (the entire group will be as familiar with it as the DM) and ... you don't go elsewhere (the PCs can't suddenly appear where the DM wasn't expecting them to go).

I think it's also easier to come up with a fantasy setting. There's standard Western Europe medieval civilizations, and the standard races (elves, dwarves, and humans at minimum), and even character "classes". Other settings have to be more flexible, but this creates problems in writing rules and then running a game.

1. Low-level fantasy limits transportation and communication. This limits the scope of what a new player or GM needs to be "on top of" for a given session. Compare that to a game of Vampire: The Masquerade where the GM has to grapple with an entire internet of information being ubiquitously available to the PCs. Or to Eclipse Phase where players can spontaneously decide to transport their consciousness across the entire solar system if the whim takes them.

This is a big one.

DMs in 3.x often complain that wizards can "break" this (can Teleport anywhere, can Scry, can use Sending). One thing I like about 4e is the DM still has a lot of control over these things (especially teleporting). You can't just teleport or plane shift (in non-combat terms) wherever you want. You have to go to a teleportation circle, which the DM can make into an encounter. (If you discover the BBEG's teleportation circle number and teleport into there - and frankly you probably won't without DM buy-in or at least letting them know this is an upcoming possibility - you'll be facing some really nasty opponents, possibly a seriously overleveled encounter.)

I'm happy to play other games, but this is one of the reasons I prefer GMing fantasy games. I tend to overthink the things in the modern and non-post-apocolyptic future games and it drives me crazy figuring out how things manage to be ungoogleable, avoid being caught on any surveillance cameras anywhere, not be caught by someone on a cell-phone, stay hidden from satellites, etc...

A related problem I have with GMing modern games is that its too easy for me to worry about how closely the things simulate reality... and its kind of awkward GMing things where the other players have lots of real world experience.

And finally, I haven't found many other games that are as easy to have both "dungeon crawls" and investigative play.

The player and DM aren't always on the same playing field in a modern setting. If a player knows guns more than the DM, or computers, or anything else that pops up in a game, there's going to be problems. Making matters worse, people become obsessed with realism in a modern or sci-fi game. I don't see a whole lot of complaints about how unrealistic taking gunshots is in Warhammer Fantasy, but as soon as you switch to d20 Modern, you find out that two members of the group, people living in a big city in Canada, know a huge amount about modern guns.

Votan

Explorer
Space Opera likely has just as much appeal as traditional fantasy games. Star Wars would be as appealing as Lord of the Rings as a setting. (think of Knights of the Old Republic versus Baldur's gate). What I think Fantasy had going for it was the module and the very basic idea of getting rich. It is much easier to motivate a game about looting, without having to handle the complexities of a modern forensics and legal system.

Take my word for it, if a GM adds modern levels of forensics and police work to a fantasy world a lot of the traditional adventuring options are restricted.

Li Shenron

Legend
Some idle wondering here. While there are plenty of excellent and successful RPGs in the sci-fi, contemporary, horror, western, cyberpunk, military, superheroes, and other genres, the big daddy of RPG gaming genres tends to be fantasy.

Why do swords and spells tend to be more popular than spaceships and lasers? Is D&D (and Pathifinder) so popular because it's fantasy? Or is fantasy so popular because D&D did that first? Or some other reason?

I have no idea...

I would play in a sci-fi, contemporary (e.g. secret agents / d20 modern) and cyberpunk RPG, and perhaps also horror, but I am not generally nearly as interested in those as I am in fantasy RPG.

One thing that affects me is technology. To put it simply, technology does not amaze me, magic and ancient mysteries do. It might be that I am simply more susceptible to being intrigued by the past rather than the future or the present. Or it might be that technology implies that someone understands it before building it, while magic is never fully understood.

I actually played some sci-fi/cyberpunk RPG in the distant past and it was a-OK, but with sci-fi RPG in general I am always suspicious that it will end up with the usual clichés: the ravenous Ridley Scott's Alien - type monster, the child-like bald frail super-genius friendly alien, or the fluffy blue comic-relief alien that later turns into a devouring frenzy.

Another problem of sci-fi is that technology is vastly superior to the character's own abilities. And you got to have spaceships battles, which are hard to run in a RPG. The best type of sci-fi RPG for me is the dystopic campaign setting, similar e.g. to Bladerunner, where individuals matter more than vehicles and super weapons.

I also think that sci-fi and horror owe a lot to their visual representations, and are not that awesome in my imagination. I can generally create my own mental images (and verbal descriptions, when I DM) of fantasy much better. But I won't nearly be scared by a horror RPG as much as a horror movie can scare me.

For other genres, I couldn't care less. Western to me is very poor, I very rarely liked western movies, they make me fall asleep. Military is horrible, I hate war and I want to play RPG to escape from the horrors of the real world, not to get reminded about them (same reason why I would never play a first-person shooter game). And superheroes for me is superlame, I mean... what's more lame than flying machos in spandex? :-S

ggroy

First Post
and in days of yore you had to like fantasy to get into D&D.

This is not always the case.

Back in the day when I first played D&D, I had very little to no interest in fantasy. Even today fantasy is not my first (or even second or third) preference of genre.

ggroy

First Post
But my point is that I am tired by those sci-fi cliches but not yet by fantasy cliches.

Same here, but also for fantasy.

Over the years I got kinda bored of fantasy cliches, from watching many fantasy type movies + tv shows, playing many D&D games, reading mediocre novels, etc ...

fireinthedust

Explorer
1). Fantasy magic suspends disbelief adequately, better for some reason than "tech we don't have yet"

2) it has an aesthetic that conveys lots of info without having to re-explain all the concepts: while my setting isn't lotr, you know what an orc is, and swords and wizards.

3). I can understand the world at age 10. The tech isn't often so advanced it need an explaination. This is also the level of zombie survival, which if nothing else is about equal opportunity in a disaster... which brings me to my next point.

4). Kill things and take their stuff: I'm greedy and weak but I can collect stuff that makes me more powerful. Often other genres don't do that.

4)

Sent from my GT-I5510M using Tapatalk

am181d

Adventurer
I think a lot of it is that a lot of game designers' first RPG was D&D and when they're designing new games, a lot of what they're trying to do is to "do D&D right."

Another thought: It's similar to the way that superheroes have come to dominate comic books over the years. Part of it's that superheroes are what sells. Part of it is that kids grow up reading superhero comics and if they're lucky enough to work in the industry, that's what a lot of them want to write/draw/ink/color/letter/edit.

Remove ads