• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Why are they waiting til June?

fba827

Adventurer
For all the reasons given above... plus also, keep in mind that this was a date they set long ago based on an expected schedule. Some parts of the schedule were probably faster, some slower, but part of that schedule would have built in time for production and promotional buzz (which is where we are at now).

FATDRAGONGAMES

First Post
The books that were photographed were very likely an advanced shipment. Before FDG I worked in the non gaming publishing industry for about 15 years. We always got a handful of books shipped to us in advance of the bulk shipment that came in a container on a boat from overseas. Those books then had to clear customs (often delayed weeks sometimes) and then be loaded on to a truck for delivery to our distributers and the publisher. Books were usually finished at the printer approximately 12-16 weeks before they appeared in Barnes & Noble.

Majoru Oakheart

Adventurer
Novem5er said:
Because June 7th is Worldwide D&D Game Day.

The conventional hall is booked. The local gaming stores have their schedules. Players have already booked flights, hotels, and reserved time off work.

They could either release their new product 1 day before their big party... or three weeks before. What do you think?
Umm, Worldwide Game Day has been in November for the past couple of years. They moved it to June this year because of the release date not the other way around.

Novem5er

First Post
Majoru Oakheart said:
Umm, Worldwide Game Day has been in November for the past couple of years. They moved it to June this year because of the release date not the other way around.

I know... I'm saying that they moved it to June to coincide with their expected release date. If things went smoother than they expected and they're ready to ship now, they wouldn't want to move their game day again.

But just think... if WotC had stuck with their original plan to release one core book a month, we'd likely be getting the PHB next WEEK!!!

Cadfan

First Post
1. You don't want your product to be released slowly. Imagine if they started selling books now, but only enough for one out of every ten people to get their order. It would be a nightmare.

2. You have to announce your release date in advance. You set it with some extra wiggle room so that if you don't complete things on time, no one can tell.

davidthegnome

First Post
Hadn't they originally planned to release them a month apart beginning in May, and then changed their mind so that everyone would be able to get the three books at the same time?

Mathew_Freeman

First Post
Baron Opal said:
Yes, and they picked the middle date to release the set.

I think this is a very good decision, releasing all three core books together. Not least of which is that it's likely I'm going to have to pick the books up from the depot because the postal service in the UK won't be able to fit them through the letterbox in the front door, and I'd rather make one trip than three!

Although I'll be getting H1 in advance...yay!

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I doubt very much they're just "waiting". Sure, an initial print run is done, and WotC has copies of the final version. They need to print thousands of the books, and then somehow those books have to get from the printers, through the distributors and make it onto store shelves (and, unfortuntely, despite writing the game, WotC doesn't actually have access to the teleportatin spell!)

Nifft

Penguin Herder
Morrus said:
I doubt very much they're just "waiting".
But they are! First they anger me by releasing 4e too soon, then they anger me by releasing 4e too late!

It's quite an insidious plan of theirs, don't you think?

"Para, hell. I'm QUASInoid." -- N

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads