• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Why Aren't RPGs in Public Libraries?

SquareKnot

Explorer
I've long wondered why RPG books aren't in any of the libraries I've routinely used. My local library has every WotC novel on the shelf. They host "Learn D&D" sessions, so they aren't opposed to RPGs in general.
  • Is it just cost?
  • Is it access to the proper distribution channel (i.e. libraries don't buy from game distributors)?
  • Is there some legal restriction?
  • Are they categorized as "games" and so come from a different (and presumably smaller or nonexistent) budget than books?
  • Or are RPGs common in libraries and I've just not looked in the right ones?

Does anyone know?

If I understood what the issue was, I might be able to work around it, perhaps by just donating books or something.

Thanks.

Lord Crimson

Explorer
My understanding for the lack of RPG books is multifold:

1) Super-niche product. Most librarians probably only tangentially know of RPGs and since they tend to fill the "game" mindspace more than the "book" mindspace, they may not even think to acquire them.

2) The D&D-is-evil/BADD scares of the early '80s. I've actually heard a librarian quote this one at one point as reasons why her library divested itself of D&D titles - not because they agreed with it, but the grief from the BADD people made it a pain to deal with.

3) Stolen books. Another librarian once mentioned that they used to have a number of D&D products at their library. But they tended to get borrowed and never returned or would literally be stolen off the shelves - more often than most other books.

This is almost entirely anecdotal and hearsay, of course. But they don't sound unreasonable for reasons why it isn't more common.

Rechan

Adventurer
Also from a purely logistical point, you'd need to check a gaming book out for an extended period. Why?

1) You need to read it. Since RPGs take time to grok because you have to continually understand the rules, this takes time.
2) You have to use it. THis is character creation/etc.
3) Then you have to reference it at the table. At least for newbies, it needs to be at the table.

Aren't most library books checked out for only 3 weeks?

mudbunny

Community Supporter
It all depends on how familiar people doing the ordering at the libraries are with RPGs. If they know nothing of RPGs, they would not order the books. They also order the books that people request. If a bunch of people request a certain book (or style of books) they are more likely to order them.

MatthewJHanson

Registered Ninja
Publisher
I had never thought of this before, but I just ran a quick search, and my local system (Hennepin County, MN) has nine copies of 4e Player's Handbook (one is currently overdue).

Aren't most library books checked out for only 3 weeks?

This is the main difficulty I see. With most books you read them, and then when you get to the end you're done. Not so with RPG books.

Rechan

Adventurer
I had never thought of this before, but I just ran a quick search, and my local system (Hennepin County, MN) has nine copies of 4e Player's Handbook (one is currently overdue).

This is the main difficulty I see. With most books you read them, and then when you get to the end you're done. Not so with RPG books.
I think that if you were going to put RPGs in the library, adventure modules would be best. Those you only use for a short time and then you're done.

Remove ads