Why aren't there short, fat PC races?

Klaus

First Post
The ancient Greeks got it wrong again with the Amazons. From what I understand, breasts really don't interfere much with the use of the bow.

I can't say from personal experience, since I'm male, and not fat enough for it to actually be an issue.
My wife and I tried archery a few years ago.

Larger breasts don't interfere with archery more than with, really, anything else (like running, climbing, etc).

The Greek legend of the Amazons cutting off a breast could be a misunderstanding. Athletic women (see most female bodybuilders, swimmers and runners today) tend to have smaller breasts. To a male-dominated society, where women would have ample breasts, it'd look like the Amazons cut off their breasts.

Same with mammoth skull -> cyclops.

JPL

Adventurer
I've been watching some Legion of Superheroes DVDs with my kid, and thinking about a PC with a Bouncing Boy physique.

Looking at the new PHB2, I think a serene Buddha-like deva would work pretty well, as would a stocky bear of a shifter.

Ginnel

Explorer
Surely it simply comes down to most people like looking a pretty things, most people consider defined muscles or svelte figures attractive, hence their liberal abundence in the books.

If you want to create something different do it.

All elves are fat and prone to flatulence and their nickname is Gary.

Bang I've just changed my world do the same with yours.

Voadam

Legend
Why don't dwarves fit the desired description? I would not call them tall and slender.

short races:
Dwarves
Halflings
Gnomes

Thick races:
Dwarves
Dragonborn
Goliath
Half-Orc

Klaus

First Post
I've been watching some Legion of Superheroes DVDs with my kid, and thinking about a PC with a Bouncing Boy physique.

Looking at the new PHB2, I think a serene Buddha-like deva would work pretty well, as would a stocky bear of a shifter.
And let's not forget, Bouncing Boy ended up being the luckiest Legionnaire: he hooks up with Triplicate Girl, and that can only lead to lots of fun, IYKWIMAITYD.

Remove ads