• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 3E/3.5 Why be a 3.5 fighter?

pawsplay

Hero
I would argue the "fighter doing more damage in a fight lasting longer than four rounds" A power attacking, cleaving, very basic simple barbarian will wreck some stuff up. Esp at low and mid lvl.

At level 4, that barbarian has already spent both of his feats, on Power Attack, and Cleave. The fighter still has three to go. W Focus and W Spec, right off the bat, can largely equalize the barbarian's offensive advantages, leaving one feat available for something else.

pawsplay

Hero
For an Eldritch Knight, unfortunately, the Fighter is a poor choice. Taking one level of Ranger, preferably as your 1st character level, gives you fewer armor proficiencies (who cares), same weapon proficiencies, two fewer HP (ouch), +16 skill points from a much better skill list (WOO HOO) and you can use wands of Cure Light Wounds (ZOMG!!!). Yeah, your free feat is not very useful, but the skill points are awesome, and the spell list access could save your whole party. Taking one level of BARBARIAN, though: you get +2 HP over the Fighter, +8 skill points (from a better list), you can rage 1/day (which might save your life at very low levels), but most importantly you get +10 ft speed which means you can run away from melee that much more swiftly.

I can't think of anything any other full BAB class gets at 1st level as good as Improved Initiative, in terms of combat utility. Going first is always great, but when you are a fighter-caster, you want to go first more than anybody. Barbarian and ranger are acceptable, but Fighter is equal to or better than all other choices for EK. Rage eventually becomes a waste of time. A ranger who takes Improved Initiative voluntarily simply trades 2 hit points and medium and heavy armor for some skill points, which is a pretty good trade, but not clearly better. I think going any further on this would be a digression, but that's my thoughts on the matter.

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
Why play a fighter? Because they're fun to play, particularly if you like vicariously wading into battle, rolling lots of dice, and being covered in blood. The simplicity of digging in and laying down a fair amount of smack has a lot of psychological allure.

Plus, you get enough feats to have 2 or 3 decent approaches to combat, allowing for some more tactical flexibility compared to barbarians, rangers, or paladins.

I would seriously argue for adding feats from the Players Handbook 2. They add a lot to the fighter's bag of tricks.

Fajita McJones

First Post
I believe it may help the OP if you elucidate on how fighters are "friggin' awesome".

Because you can bull-rush a giant spider the size of a school bus out of the way so your allies can escape.

Because you can do such insane amounts of damage that your enemies will be rolling to survive massive damage three times a round before long.

Because you are tough enough that you can pick food from between your teeth with poisoned crossbow darts you stole off some dead Drow without so much as a sore throat.

Because barmaids dig scars.

Because Barbarians lack dedication.

Because Bards don't write 400 stanza epics about Wizards.

Because from level 1 to level 20, so long as someone has a dirt-cheap wand of cure light wounds, you'll be in top fighting form and capable of doing EVERYTHING in your repertoire from sun-up to sun-down day after day after day and on a moment's notice.

Dandu

First Post
Dandu, I want to tell you a few things which I think you should hear and which I would like other people to observe me telling you. First, you haven't said anything in this thread that made, "My God, why didn't I think of that?" or "My God, I didn't know that!"
Questions were not for your benefit, but so I could understand statements such as "the fighter has more flavor than other classes" better.

Second, asking people to parade out their ideas for you to pick them apart and ask them to "prove" something is not a sophisticated debate. It's called shooting fish in a barrel, fighting the straw man, tilting at windmills, etc. No one is interested in spending three pages explaining minor, well-known ideas, like, "Having lots of feats is useful."
I ask because I do not share that opinion. To go with your example, I would like an explanation of why a taken-for-granted idea such as "having a lot of feats" is useful, since I view the fighter as getting a lot of low-quality feats. (With some good ones thrown in, though.)

Third, I don't even know why I'm supposed to be weeping, but that's probably because you don't understand where I'm coming from well enough to find a jab. Fourth, that's not an invitation.
I assumed you would weep because Giacomo wrote a rather poor guide.

This thread is about what's good about the 3.5 fighter. In the course of discussing this topic, we may digress occasionally into comparing the fighter to other classes, such as the cleric, and even non-core classes, such as the warblade, but that is not the point of this thread. If that is what you are interesting in, you're in the wrong thread. We may also, necessarily, discuss some of the weaknesses of the fighter. But that, again, is not the focus.
Forgive me for accentuating the negative, but it doesn't seem as if anyone else is pointing out the problems.

I have noticed you have a tendency to shift goalposts frequently, to change the topic, and to resort to "argument-winning" declarations, often accompanied by a link and a laconic quip. That is not helpful. If you can move out of your competitive, tire-deflating, snarky, and unhelpful posture, I am sure you will find that others respond to you in a more positive fashion.
Look, if you had PM'd me with this complaint, I'd have been happy to settle it privately. Doing so publically isn't really helpful either. It's one of the reasons why, say, The O'Reilly Factor doesn't really help solve problems.

I just want you to know that. I don't think you were doing it maliciously.

As for why I'm generally somewhat unpleasant, I tend to get irritated at certain kinds of attitudes or comments. That's basically it.

Perhaps, instead of simply posting, "Why?" or "Look here," you could post at least one sentence explaining your thought process, as a guidepost to the rest of us in following your logic. That is a thought I had that may be helpful to you.
I think people are confusing the class mechanics of the fighter with their character roleplaying. Take the previous post about how flavorful a fighter is. Flavor is something that the player creates and assigns to his character. Class does not factor into it as much; some classes are tied tightly to flavor (druid, monk), and some less so (sorcerer, fighter), but I do not believe that makes the class itself more flavorful, and certainly not more flavorful than other classes.

Take the example just above this post about how fighters are "friggin' awesome" because they can do things such as:

Because you can bull-rush a giant spider the size of a school bus out of the way so your allies can escape.

Because you can do such insane amounts of damage that your enemies will be rolling to survive massive damage three times a round before long.

Because you are tough enough that you can pick food from between your teeth with poisoned crossbow darts you stole off some dead Drow without so much as a sore throat.

Because barmaids dig scars.

Because Barbarians lack dedication.

Because Bards don't write 400 stanza epics about Wizards.

Because from level 1 to level 20, so long as someone has a dirt-cheap wand of cure light wounds, you'll be in top fighting form and capable of doing EVERYTHING in your repertoire from sun-up to sun-down day after day after day and on a moment's notice.
I don't really agree that those are good reasons to play a fighter over other classes (excluding ToB), as those actions can be taken by other characters and probably done so more effectively.

Heck, two of them (Barbarians lack dedication, bards don't write epics about wizards) aren't actual reasons, and the thing about being in top fighting form from levels 1 to 20 all the time as long as someone has a wand of CLW about can't be true since poisons, level drain, curses, etc exist and fighters do need to sleep to avoid fatigue/exhaustion.

Bottom line: People can have fun playing fighters. There is no dispute about this. What the OP asked was why you'd play a fighter over another class for melee. I think this means someone should talk about what is unique to the fighter and how that makes the fighter worth playing.

Ie, "Fighters get a lot of feats. This makes them worth playing over other classes, such as a melee cleric or ranger because their feats are powerful and allow lots of versatility on the battlefield. You can trip, disarm, bull rush, charge, and lock enemies down through your feats."

Last edited:

Fajita McJones

First Post
I don't really agree that those are good reasons to play a fighter over other classes (excluding ToB), as those actions can be taken by other characters and probably done so more effectively.

Heck, two of them (Barbarians lack dedication, bards don't write epics about wizards) aren't actual reasons, and the thing about being in top fighting form from levels 1 to 20 all the time as long as someone has a wand of CLW about can't be true since poisons, level drain, curses, etc exist and fighters do need to sleep to avoid fatigue/exhaustion.

Bottom line: People can have fun playing fighters. There is no dispute about this. What the OP asked was why you'd play a fighter over another class for melee. I think this means someone should talk about what is unique to the fighter and how that makes the fighter worth playing.

Ie, "Fighters get a lot of feats. This makes them worth playing over other classes, such as a melee cleric or ranger because their feats are powerful and allow lots of versatility on the battlefield. You can trip, disarm, bull rush, charge, and lock enemies down through your feats."

Not to start anything, but are you trying to be insufferable?

Poison, level drain, curses, etc. bring down everyone else just the same as fighters. So, um, yeah. You know darn well that I was comparing Fighters to other characters specifically those with a limit of spells/spell-like abilities/supernatural abilities/etc. limited to a certain number of uses per day so quit trying to stir up trouble where there isn't any.

I highly doubt that characters without lots of room for long feat chains (like ALL of the tactical feats) would be able to bull rush as well as a Fighter. Bull rushing goes beyond just pushing someone backwards for a Fighter. It means grabbing the previously-mentioned giant spider, picking him up and throwing him on the ground wherever you want and getting a free attack afterward because you knocked him off his feet when you did that.

Because Bards don't write epics about wizards? Um, that's about as real life as they get homeboy. Beowulf? Odysseus? Gilgamesh? Ringing any bells? Name one ancient poem with a magical wizard as the protagonist instead of a martial warrior.

Last edited:

Summer-Knight925

First Post
okay, everyone needs to calm down

this question is why play a fighter? not who is better

every class is equal, thats the idea behind having many classes

bards dont write epics about wizards, true, but bards also dont write epics about just ANY fighter, they have to be...well epic

so here, before a bard can write about a fighter, the fighter has to do some great deed, like...hm, slay a dragon? that sound good?
in order for this to work, you need the fighter up front, doing what they do, fight, while teh cleric keeps him alive, the wizard boosts and the rogue steals stuff and sneaks up and stabby mc stabs the great beast....

a paladin could do this, so long as his lay on hands ability worked he could do it without a cleric, that is of course, until he can no longer smite

a barbarian can fight amazingly well, until his rage is over, the he might as well be cursed by a dracolich!

a ranger? really? theyre cool and all, but if you have a ranger as the front-liner you need to rethink taking on a dragon, unless its outside where normal hack-and-slash rules do not apply...even though a fighter can be just as good of an archer as a ranger

what it comes down to is a fighter is a blank slate, a fighter can go anywhere you want, he can focus on two-handed weapons, two weapons, a shield, ranged weapons, mounted, ect. ect.

can anyone else? the most you get is the ranger "ranged vs. twf" which yeah...a fighter can get ALL OF THOSE FEATS at a lower level

that being said, however, each class brings something to the playing table, the barbarian is tough, can fight, and also find some traps, the paladin smites the crap out of evil things and is awshume for that (that means "awsome for that" in normal speak!), the ranger hunts his prey (favored enemy) and the monk goes Kung-Fu panda on people

no class is better than anyother, unless you want the choice of what to do, that is where fighters reign supreme, in choice

Dandu

First Post
Poison, level drain, curses, etc. bring down everyone else just the same as fighters.
Unless you're immune to that sort of thing/can cure yourself?

So, um, yeah. You know darn well that I was comparing Fighters to other characters specifically those with a limit of spells/spell-like abilities/supernatural abilities/etc. limited to a certain number of uses per day so quit trying to stir up trouble where there isn't any.
"Because from level 1 to level 20, so long as someone has a dirt-cheap wand of cure light wounds, you'll be in top fighting form and capable of doing EVERYTHING in your repertoire from sun-up to sun-down day after day after day and on a moment's notice. "

I don't doubt that you meant that, but I do not feel it came through clearly.

I highly doubt that characters without lots of room for long feat chains (like ALL of the tactical feats) would be able to bull rush as well as a Fighter. Bull rushing goes beyond just pushing someone backwards for a Fighter. It means grabbing the previously-mentioned giant spider, picking him up and throwing him on the ground wherever you want and getting a free attack afterward because you knocked him off his feet when you did that.
I see. So you mean more than just bull rushing, you mean using a ton of feats to bull rush, grapple, trip, and etc?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but can't you not do that as a fighter? You only get one special attack on your round and can't combine everything into one super move. (Dungeoncrasher helps, of course.)

Also, how many feats does it take to do that? I'd be interested in knowing at what level the fighter get to bull rush in such a manner.

Because Bards don't write epics about wizards? Um, that's about as real life as they get homeboy. Beowulf? Odysseus? Gilgamesh? Ringing any bells? Name one ancient poem with a magical wizard as the protagonist instead of a martial warrior.
I'm sorry, homeboy, I thought you were talking about Bards in Dungeons and Dragons.

Last edited:

Fajita McJones

First Post
Unless you're immune to that sort of thing/can cure yourself?

"Because from level 1 to level 20, so long as someone has a dirt-cheap wand of cure light wounds, you'll be in top fighting form and capable of doing EVERYTHING in your repertoire from sun-up to sun-down day after day after day and on a moment's notice. "

I don't doubt that you meant that, but I do not feel it came through clearly.

I see. So you mean more than just bull rushing, you mean using a ton of feats to bull rush, grapple, trip, and etc?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but can't you not do that as a core fighter? You only get one special attack on your round and can't combine everything into one super move.

Also, how many feats does it take to do that? I'd be interested in knowing at what level the fighter get to bull rush in such a manner.

I'm sorry, homeboy, I thought you were talking about Bards in Dungeons and Dragons.

About six feats total, minimum BAB of +6 if I remember correctly.

Power Attack, Improved Sunder, Improved Bull Rush, Combat Brute and Shock Trooper. You'd have to be a Fighter Level 8 to take all of those (and still have several feats to spare) or Level 9 anything else with a full BAB and you'd be neglecting feats that improve the cool things that are already built into those classes (rage feats for Barbarians, Divine feats for Paladins, etc.). And don't tell me we're talking about the corebook only. The OP meant "fighter from the corebook", not "using the corebook as your only resource for building a fighter". The only restraint he gave to the discussion is leave out the Bo9S.

Last edited:

Remove ads