• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Why can only Ravens talk?

Ion

Explorer
I've started rereading the His Dark Materials trilogy by Philip Pullman, and I keep coming back to "man dæmons are cool!"

(Dæmons are essentially familiars, with the exception that everyone has one, and all of them can talk.)

Which brings me back to Ravens, the only talking familiars. Is there a reason that this ability is specific to them? Or is it just a flavor thing? What if all familiars could talk? (What if everyone had familiars?)

Thanks for the input!

Storm Raven

First Post
Ion said:
Which brings me back to Ravens, the only talking familiars. Is there a reason that this ability is specific to them? Or is it just a flavor thing? What if all familiars could talk? (What if everyone had familiars?)

Quoth the Raven, "Nevermore!"

WayneLigon

Adventurer
Ion said:
...back to Ravens, the only talking familiars. Is there a reason that this ability is specific to them? Or is it just a flavor thing? What if all familiars could talk? (What if everyone had familiars?)

Because ravens in the real world can mimic sounds, including human speech. Of the basic familiar animals listed, they are the only ones physically capable of vocal speech, as well.

lukelightning

First Post
But what's dumb is that raven familiars' ability to speak is a supernatural ability, and they can speak one language, no matter how smart they are or how many language skills you have (even though they supposedly share your skills).

So my hypothetical English-speaking raven familiar could say "we" but not "oui" (French), or "hi" but not "hai" (Japanese), etc.

Gez

First Post
WayneLigon said:
Because ravens in the real world can mimic sounds, including human speech. Of the basic familiar animals listed, they are the only ones physically capable of vocal speech, as well.
Cats too. :D

(They can at least say hello, mama, long, john, piano, dog, day, and luvluvluvluvluv.)

ivocaliban

First Post
Ion said:
What if all familiars could talk? (What if everyone had familiars?)

I'd have a headache. Not only from the cacophony of voices, but from the players milking their portable messengers for all they're worth.

Milking familiars. Now there's a scary thought.

Seriously, though, if everyone had talking familiars it would be at least as annoying as cell phones are today.

As for ravens...well, there are other birds you could substitute, perhaps. Here is an article dealing with birds that can imitate human speech. At least this way you can have some variety among the kinds of speaking familiars available in your campaign. Probably not what you're looking for, but a little flavor is better than none.

lukelightning

First Post
I see nothing unbalancing about allowing all familiars to speak. It's not like familiars aren't already used as messengers by carrying notes. Fact is, between ravens and improved familiars there are already plenty of "talking familiar" choices. And it's not like every character has one...normally familiars are forgotten or the player doesn't even take one.

And if you don't want players having talking sidekicks, do you make cohorts mute as well?

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads