• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

why cant I sneak attack with a longbow?

wujenta

First Post
Hi all, I was looking the new books, trying to convert one of my 3.5 characters to 4E... she is a human rogue/swasbuckler (5/3) who wields rapier and bukler when in hand to hand combat and longbow when ranged and was doing great, I made her a rogue 8 ... I had to spend 3 feats to gain proficiency in the rapier, longbow and light shield but at the end , she came more or less a great character, who can make nearly all things she made in 3.5... but then i noticed that you cant sneak attack with a longbow??? but you can with a hand crosbow ?

why exactly did they do this... crosbow needed love i supose, and in all the years playing 3.X none of my friends or myself use a crosbow ever...

I dont like to houserule something without having played first, but I ask if any1 has found strange this rule and has changed it already and how this affected the game...

Thanks for all

Volabit

First Post
New Game

I think the biggest thing one has to realize is that its a new game. Sad there are no druids for me, but since this is a new game it means there are not going to be conversions. Unlike 3e to 3.5e, where it used the same basic game, just reworded stuff, 4e is a new creature entirely. This means we have to rethink what it means to heal (healing surges), how often we can do things, and what it means to be X class. I think the traditional idea of a rogue being a hard hitter with skills aplenty holds true to any game, either tabletop or MMO. But how they go about it is different for each system. 4e being a new system, its a new type of rogue. Perhaps the idea I use to explain it is that a rogue is specialized in only a few weapons, but because they are specialized in those few select weapons they have become more deadly when the opportunity presents itself. If you give a rogue a weapon they have become familiar with, it doesn't mean they have trained and become specialized with it to gain that benifit (sneak attacks). I guess that's the rationlization I would use. Hopefully that helps. If not then perhaps house rule the game to fit how you want it to play. The game is adaptable, fill your needs as you see fit, but most importantly, enjoy your play.

Pistonrager

First Post
easy... the class should really be named "ninja" or if that rubs you the wrong way, a handcrossbow is a stealthier weapon than a longbow, and it's what the class powers focus on, so you can get sneak attack on a power.

Blackbrrd

First Post
Multiclass into ranger so you can get hunters quarry (lasts until the end of your next turn, so you get the 1d6 extra damage twice).

Take one or more of the power substitution feats to get some powers that use your bow.

Now you can do great damage with bow AND rapier. If the damage is from sneak attack or hunters quarry doesn't matter so much?

Sounds like a great character btw

Ginnel

Explorer
How about when your character gets a longbow into her hands, you and your DM agree that it acts exactly like a handcrossbow, same range, same damage, same sneak attack, same basic attack, maybe and I do say maybe allow you to do a normal ranged attack at the longbows normal range and damage after spending a feat or something, it doesn't break the game and bang you get the look your after.

If someone steals/borrows your longbow it would work as a normal longbow for them, and of course if you got an actual handcrossbow into your hands you wouldn't be able to use it for sneak attack :)

Ten

First Post
My guess? Longbows are 5-6 feet tall, and have up to a 200 pound draw. It is simply too unwieldy to draw, aim, and release at a sneak attack level precision in the middle of combat. It makes sense that you can't sneak attack with a longbow to me...

Derren

Hero
What has the stealthiness of a weapon has to do with sneak attack?

When you for example attack someone who is unaware of you it doesn't matter how big your bow is.

Remove ads