D&D 5E Why D&D Can't Have a Good Video Game

gyor

Legend
Some rumors came up that Baldurs Gate 3 is in development (specifically a tweet from an inExile exec that he knows who is developing BG3)

It was speculated that the new project from Larian (Divinity series) is BG3 but they declined it.

One question for me is BG 3 is coming out will it use the original rule set from BG1, BG2, or will the story be set later with 5e rules and races?

AmerginLiath

Adventurer
IMO, why they haven't had a good recent D&D video game is because they insist on making them action RPGs and not turn based RPGs. D&D is a turn based game, and if you have to completely rewrite all the skills, powers, and spells to work on a timer countdown or something like that, it doesn't feel like D&D. It's just another action fantasy RPG. It would be like taking NBA Live 2K18 and making that a turn based game. Just doesn't feel like an NBA gaming experience.

I don't know about NBA Live, but I have the sudden craving to create a turn-based football RPG or wargame!

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Larian would be foolish to drop further development of their own blossoming IP to do a game for someone else. I doubt Hasbro/WotC would offer them enough money to make it worth their time.

Assuming the development rumors are true, I'd be shocked if it wasn't Beamdog despite the previous denial.

EDIT: If PoE II: Deadfire under performs, I could see Obsidian taking on the project.

Hasbro/WotC aren't offering anybody any money: they accept offers of cash, not the other way around. Which is why the recent D&D games have been more cash-flush offerings, like Idle Champions or Neverwinter.

Ristamar

Adventurer
Hasbro/WotC aren't offering anybody any money: they accept offers of cash, not the other way around. Which is why the recent D&D games have been more cash-flush offerings, like Idle Champions or Neverwinter.

True, they sell the rights (and probably still get a cut beyond an initial fee). I don't know what I was thinking phrasing that as such.

Shasarak

Banned
Banned
When I read threads like this, I find myself asking, "Why is D&D somehow entitled to a good video game?"

I ask "Remember when we used to have good DnD video games back before someone decided that they all needed to be first person shooter games"

Aldarc

Legend
I ask "Remember when we used to have good DnD video games back before someone decided that they all needed to be first person shooter games"
Nah, the times have changed. Apparently they should all nowadays be like the Witcher and Assassin's Creed.

Remove ads