• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Why Did 3E Eliminate Facing?

Dausuul

Legend
The thread title asks the question. In AD&D, facing was a concern, though a minor one most of the time. 3E went to some lengths to eliminate it--such as replacing backstab with sneak attack, and introducing flanking--and it has just occurred to me to wonder why.

This is not an attempt to start an edition war; I'm genuinely unclear what the reason would have been. What made facing such a problem?

The thread title asks the question. In AD&D, facing was a concern, though a minor one most of the time. 3E went to some lengths to eliminate it--such as replacing backstab with sneak attack, and introducing flanking--and it has just occurred to me to wonder why.

This is not an attempt to start an edition war; I'm genuinely unclear what the reason would have been. What made facing such a problem?

I think people were a little divided on its merits. Personally I liked it, but some people felt if fell apart under scrutiny.

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him) 🇺🇦🇵🇸🏳️‍⚧️
It was a little arcane, particularly with what modifiers could apply to AC and all that. Getting rid of facing was a simplification of the rules.

JRRNeiklot

First Post
I think it was because you can move and attack in 3e. With a facing element, why wouldn't you always attack from the rear? Taking the close to melee action out of the game pretty much necessitated removing facing as well.

AeroDm

First Post
I think it was because you can move and attack in 3e. With a facing element, why wouldn't you always attack from the rear? Taking the close to melee action out of the game pretty much necessitated removing facing as well.
If I recall, you could move up to 1/2 speed and still attack in 2e.

There was also some silliness in that a 2e round was a minute or so in length, so facing presumed that for the entire minute you had your back turned. Third edition tried to streamline things down and also presumed that you occupied all points of the square at all times. That assumption sort of necessitated acknowledging that you weren't facing any one direction. Since it also streamlined play, I find it a net positive design.

TarionzCousin

Second Most Angelic Devil Ever
People can turn very fast. What works for mecha and warships doesn't make sense for people.
Exactly.

This is why I build my war machines out of people.
tmyk.gif

Doug McCrae

Legend
People can turn very fast.
Not if they're using a polearm! And polearms have always been the most popular weapons in D&D, why else would there be so many varieties? :)

I think the facing rules in pre-3e D&D might be a legacy of wargames. On the battlefield, troop facing and attacking from behind/the flanks are very important. And polearms are a common weapon.

Last edited:

adwyn

Community Supporter
They didn't eliminate facing, but rather included the concept with flanking. You will always turn to face an opponent, but with two you may not be able to.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads