• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Why did the era of primordial evil end?

Voadam

Legend
Nightfall said:
Shem,

Eh it might not work for you, but I'm Marvel Comics fan. ANYTHING that can allow me to make D&D villains work similar to some Marvel Comics cosmic baddies can't be ALL bad.

I mean I'd like a guy to be like Apocalypse and have the Four Horsemen under his command. ;)

I'm a big marvel fan as well, but I'm with Shem on this and hate Galactus' whole story.

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
Shemeska said:
the Ancient Baatorians who were being oblitered by the Baatezu during the whole period which would happily account for the lack of involvement by the younger LE fiends in the Inner Planes

i think i know what your next Dragon article needs to be about. ;)

Shemeska

Adventurer
BOZ said:
i think i know what your next Dragon article needs to be about. ;)

Would be cool, but it isn't likely. The Ancient Baatorian query I sent in got rejected.

But heck, I'll happily write anything on the fiends, and I'll keep trying *telekinetically nudges that stack of 'loth queries I know exists*

James Jacobs

Adventurer
My take: The aboleth empire went into decline about the time the slave races they created discovered the deities and developed faith. The concept of deities and worshiping them and gaining powers and spells as a result had never occured to the aboleths, since it was as alien a concept to them as they are to us. Their slave races uprose against them and retook the lands above and the aboleths retreated back into the deep oceans.

Meanwhile, on the Abyss, the obyrith demons were in charge before the gods came along; the obyriths were living manifestations of the Abyss' chaos and evil. Their reign on the Abyss came to an end well after the aboleth empire ended (probably on the order of hundreds of thousands of years after) when a powerful obyrith called the Queen of Chaos (not sure why she called herself a queen since she existed before mortal life invented kings and queens—she likely had another name back then and came to be called the Queen of Chaos by mortals who discovered her story eons later) gathered up much of the obyriths and waged war on the forces of law (the elemental Wind Dukes). The obyriths lost and in a semi-parallel track to the aboleths/humanoids, the obyrith's created slave race of the tanar'ri took over what was left of the Abyss after.

Those two are the two primordial evils of D&D that I'm most familiar with, in any case. The exact details are kind of mutable between campaigns, in any event.

Amitiel

First Post
I always belived the diminshing energy varient. During the Primordial age there was a great deal more free magical energy, over time it was bound more and more into a set of 'laws' that reduced the amount freely floating around. Old Ones, Gods, Demons, ect couldn't survive in this environ directly as their very existance has a higher energy state (ie the go boom). These beings can visit via avatars. Which is why many outsiders can't be killed on the prime material, if killed there they are simply restored to their home plane and the body (which is built out of magic and any availible materials) decomposes down in seconds to minutes. This also explains the Far Planes effects. The Far Plane replicates the primordial existance and its power when transferred back returns a small section of the PM to its state during that epoch.

Remove ads