• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Why did the Scarred Lands fail?

Pants

First Post
Acid_crash said:
And those three adventures were pretty cool. I think without those three adventures the popularity of the setting book wouldn't have been as high. My FLGS can't keep any IK books in stock.
Ditto. My FGS is pretty much constantly sold out of IK books.

Cithindril

First Post
JoeGKushner said:
Take out Mitrhil and Hollowfaust and you don't have a lot left. Calista? Most of Termana? Blood Sea? Nope...

I agree with Trickstergod, Darakeene and Vesh were two great choices for player starting locations. Also, depending on character backstory Calastia itself or other parts of the hegemony (ie:Virduk, Zathiske) could make for very interesting challenges. I've started successful campaigns in all three of these locales and although some professionally produced material would have been helpful and appreciated, our game was not hindered by the lack. It actually wasn't bad to have some holes to fill in with your own material.

As has been said elsewhere, even with the cancellation the setting is not close to fading out due to the existing fan support. In fact, it now truly belongs to the fans who I hope will get together to take the SL to exciting new places!

pogre

Legend
I would like to see it rest for a time and then have it revised with a big honkin' core world book with the very best aspects of the Scarred Lands described. I'd lay down $50 for that.

I only bought the modules, which I thought were OK, but I just could not keep up with the line. Even the fans of the setting had a tough time keeping complete sets going - too much stuff.

Nightcloak

First Post
Cithindril said:
As has been said elsewhere, even with the cancellation the setting is not close to fading out due to the existing fan support. In fact, it now truly belongs to the fans who I hope will get together to take the SL to exciting new places!

I've got a hunch that SL does have a future with the fans

Nightfall said:
And I will say folks while I can't speak specifics, I'm doing what I can to keep the Scarred Lands alive. Just wait and see.

A good future indeed ;)

Trickstergod

First Post
Nightcloak said:
I've got a hunch that SL does have a future with the fans

Sadly, though, thus far, that's been lacking. Midnight has the fan-made Tome of Sorrows. Planescape has its own devoted fan-base and a great deal of fan-made material. Before Ravenloft was licensed out to White Wolf, the Kargatane created a good deal of setting material. Thus far, however, the Scarred Lands has a rather sparse amount of fan-made stuff, beyond apparently some things in French.

Greatwyrm

Been here a while...
Trickstergod said:
Thus far, however, the Scarred Lands has a rather sparse amount of fan-made stuff, beyond apparently some things in French.

But, up until now, Scarred Lands had probably the best official support. Now that the support isn't there, that might change the fan community. Supply and demand and all that.

Nightfall

Sage of the Scarred Lands
Trick likes to rain on people's parade. And as of late much of the "fan sites" haven't had a lot of acknowledgement by the WW people since they had a kind of "hands off" deal when it came to fan stuff that didn't have the "WW" and "S&SS" logos.

*is still working on fixing all this...*

Fevil

First Post
Greatwyrm said:
But, up until now, Scarred Lands had probably the best official support. Now that the support isn't there, that might change the fan community. Supply and demand and all that.

Im not sure what you mean by "official support", but towards the end, and even in the middle, there was NO support. Supplements got published and then forgotten about. Even supplements that needed errata (and were slated to get it) never recieved it.

It even took several months for the official SL website to get updated.

This is of course just IMO, people have disagreed with this before and will again no doubt.

Cithindril

First Post
No argument that the Scarred Lands web support was just dismal :( but I agree with Greatwyrm that you didn't see a lot of fans stepping up and writing supplements because the official release schedule was churning along at breakneck speed. Who wants to write a fan supplement for Darakeene only to have SSS announce an official Darakeene release a month later? Now, I DO think you'll start to see folks producing this sort of thing...myself I've been tinkering with some short fiction and an adventure module...wouldn't mind contributing to a Darakeene sourcebook either ;)

Last edited:

Zelda Themelin said:
Giving Albadia and Darakeene only to French people was to me big, big mistake.

Hello all.

When it comes to the Scarred Lands I'm more or less a newbie since I only owned the CC I and II and Relics and Rituals, so I discovered the setting through these books only. And since I only buy my RPG books in English I don't follow closely the French releases. But I know that here in France only a few books were translated compared to the huge number of products released by WW (but the setting is also supported by a magazine dedicated alternatively to the Scarred Lands and the other non D20 WW products).

So I was wondering if someone could tell me about Albadia and Darakeene given only to French people. I was totally unaware about it. What was that, did WW give them the right to produce sourcebooks about it?

Ok I must admit, I don't know what are Albadia or Darakeene. With my limited knowledge I can't tell if they're towns or continents... (please don't hurt me). But I don't remember seeing french sourcebooks bearing these names on the shelves.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads