• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Why did you stay with an earlier edition?

Why did you stay with an earlier edition of D&D?

• I couldn't afford the latest edition.

Votes: 4 1.8%
  • I stayed with an older edtion because the people I play with didn't want to change.

Votes: 49 21.7%
  • I stayed with an older edtion because I've invested enough in it and didn't want to buy new books.

Votes: 31 13.7%
  • I stayed with an older edition because I felt the new rules weren't as good as the old.

Votes: 163 72.1%
  • Unabashed Nostalgia. I fell in love with a particular edition.

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • DDI or other electronic support (or lack thereof) caused me to stay with an older edition.

Votes: 14 6.2%
  • I have always adopted the latest version of D&D as soon as it came out.

Votes: 55 24.3%

Gargoyle

Adventurer
This is a "select all that apply" poll; but if you select the last option, please don't select anything else, and don't select #7 if you selected anything else (because if you do I'll know you're chaotic neutral).

The "earlier edition" the poll refers to could be any edition other than the current one. So if you couldn't afford to switch from OD&D to 1E, you didn't buy BECMI because your friends didn't like it, you didn't like 2E, updated to 3E as soon as it came out, and didn't upgrade to 4E because you didn't like DDI: you'd select all except #3, #5, and #7.

For the purpose of this poll, "staying with an older edition" means buying products and actively playing or DM'ing it. Just buying a bunch of books to read doesn't count IMO, because while it helps the hobby in the short term, it doesn't help D&D in the long run as much as actually running and playing the new game. Success IMO for any edition is when a lot of people buy at least a few books and play the game regularly, because that regular gameplay is what encourages others to purchase the game and play.

Every time a new edition of D&D has emerged, the player base has been split to some degree. Pathfinder's success seems to be the catalyst for Wizards of the Coast's initiative to reunite players of all editions under the new edition. I think it's a good move, not only for WotC's bottom line, but for the hobby. But given the hobby's history, it seems to me that the odds are stacked against this. It is more likely that players will be even more divided on what edition to play, mostly for reasons that have little to do with the quality of the new edition.

To unify players, D&D needs to accommodate varying player and DM'ing styles with a modular format. But more importantly, it needs to be a very fun, polished, and professional game that is easy to learn, but also that can be expanded on endlessly without breaking it. It can't have glaring typographical errors, bad or recycled art, rules mechanics that simply fail to work in actual play, overly weak or strong classes, overly long combats, missing archetypes, or a mountain of errata. It also needs strong electronic/Internet support, compelling campaign settings, fantastic cartography, and a lot of great published adventures, as well as improved organized play.

However, even if "D&D next" is great, many of the reasons in this poll have nothing to do with the quality of the game, and thus the reason for this post. I'm curious how many people with at least a passing interest in the new game (defined as people reading this forum) are still unlikely to buy it and play it regularly based on what they've done with past editions.

Here is hoping that WotC's open playtest lasts a long time, and that there are many iterations of the game before it is published so that it at least has a shot of becoming a great edition, even if the playerbase is further divided.

Poll missing.

4th Ed is the first time my group and I didn't switch. (Playing since AD&D v1.) And we tried it, but just didn't care for it. (We will admit to being somewhat prejudiced by the pre-launch marketing dissonance.)

I fully intend to at least try the new rules, probably even just the playtest version. And I'll probably buy the new books. But the game will have to convince me I want to play it, not just read about it.

Gargoyle

Adventurer
Poll missing.

Odd, seems to be there for me. thx for the reply though.

4th Ed is the first time my group and I didn't switch. (Playing since AD&D v1.) And we tried it, but just didn't care for it. (We will admit to being somewhat prejudiced by the pre-launch marketing dissonance.)

I fully intend to at least try the new rules, probably even just the playtest version. And I'll probably buy the new books. But the game will have to convince me I want to play it, not just read about it.

Gargoyle

Adventurer
So what should we select if we moved to the latest & greatest each time, spent two years+ kicking the tires on the latest and then switched back to a prior edition?

I would say the last option only. 2+ years is a long time, and I'd say you've supported newer editions consistently, even if you changed your mind.

El Mahdi

Muad'Dib of the Anauroch
I picked the Rules. Mostly because the rules I prefer were better at modeling the types of characters I enjoy, and allowed me to play the type of game I enjoy.

I'm a Storyteller/Method Actor that prefers as realistic and plausible an environment as possible.

B-)

FitzTheRuke

Legend
I'm an early new edition adopter and a 4e player so this doesn't count for me, but what do you select if you play Pathfinder? Technically, it's newer than 4e, but it's largely based on 3.5.

Stormonu

Legend
Definitely the rules. Up until the current edition (and 2E Skills & Powers), I adopted the latest edition as soon as I could, but it was always because I thought the game I was getting into was better.

My lack of adopting the newest rule set has actually made me go back and consider running older games now - 2E and BECMI games; editions I'd thought I'd never play again.

Remove ads