• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Why did you subscribe to DDI?

Moon_Goddess

Have I really been on this site for over 20 years!
I signed up to see the druid preview... that was it, I had held out till then didn't care but I wanted to see the druid.

now, I can't live without the character builder and the compendium love them

tmatk

Explorer
I paid for a month just to unlock the character builder; I was going to a one shot and needed to make several characters and didn't want to do any math. I grabbed all the magazines as well. Not bad for $8 :)

The compendium and bonus tools are very cool, but I'm not DMing so not really needed at the moment. If that changes I may decide to pay for a longer subscription.

Keefe the Thief

Adventurer
Started because the deal was so incredible sweet - paying 8 € just for a Dragon in Germany, and now getting all that stuff for 5...

And now i cannot think about DMing without the compendium. Seriously, this IS the best thing that can happen to a sandbox campaign: i can pull monsters and magic items out of the database while my players are still talking! (We play online with Skype & Maptool). Best. Value. Ever.

Oh, and one of my players subscribed just to get the Builder.

Wormwood

Adventurer
I'm a player and a DM, so I wanted access to both magazines.

I also like the compendium and online tools, but the character generator sealed the deal.

UngainlyTitan

Legend
Supporter
I subscribed for Dragon, I was a Pazio subscriber. I was not previously interested in Dungeon. I did not DM much 3.5 and most adventures were not suitable for the typically small groups that I would DM for.
So I was happy to get both for the price of one so to speak. I live in Europe and the DDI subscription is cheaper that I was getting Dragon previously.
Recently I have stated using the encounter builder and I really love the character builder.
I have not used the Compendium much but it has been very useful to review the rules for something that the players have a book for that I do not.

DDI is proof that the accusations against WotC ("They're evil and they want your money!") are unfounded. At first I was disappointed that I wouldn't have a print version of the magazines anymore. Then I found out that when you subscribe you can get every issue, not just the current one.

When Dragon and Dungeon were print magazines I had to pay around $5 for each magazine I wanted.

With the DDI subscription I get:
- Every Dragon
- Every Dungeon
- Character Builder (Don't have the Forgotten Realms Player's Guide but want to play a Genasi Swordmage? No problem!)
- Encounter Builder
- Monster Builder
- DnD Compendium with content from every published core rulebook, splatbook, and adventure

I especially love the Compendium: I liked some of the monsters in Draconomicon but didn't want to buy the book because I didn't like that much of it was devoted to flavor text concerning dragon physiology and such nonsense. Now I can get the content I really wanted (Brown, Mirage, Eel, and Blight Dragons) without having to shell out $40.

Of course, I still prefer to buy books normally. Which reminds me: Player's Handbook 2 comes out Tuesday! Woohoo!

tmatk

Explorer
DDI is proof that the accusations against WotC ("They're evil and they want your money!") are unfounded. At first I was disappointed that I wouldn't have a print version of the magazines anymore. Then I found out that when you subscribe you can get every issue, not just the current one.

Unless I'm missing something, you get the past 15 or so issues. Every issue would be cool.

Because i'm an incredible sucker and can't seem to keep myself from attempting to by everything that comes out?:p

Really it was to get the full character builder, after i got a taste with the beta version i just had to have the full one. The mags and other tools are a nice bonus.

VictorC

Explorer
Dragon. The free previews prior to moving to a subscription model was a great improvement over what had come in the years before. I had to get it, every thing else turns out is great too. But come on, usable Dragon is long over due.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads