• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Why do a homebrew?

Tauric

First Post
As I was posting my question about making magic distinctive, I asked myself "Self, why even bother? The players either won't care, or complain."

At least, those two reactions are what I have experience with homebrew campaigns.

I tried to make a world where the different races had certain outlooks on life and certain customs (including naming conventions), and only one of my five characters bothered to follow the customs of his race.

I created my own cosmology and pantheon, but most of the characters were athiest/agnostic and the player of the cleric didn't like any of my gods. I had to modify one to fit (which really wasn't that bad).

Before begining the campaign I gave my players guides I had written, explaining the world, and if they had other questions I answered them, but it still didn't work. After a few sessions, I just defaulted back to the PHB, as far as gods and racial archetypes.

So, what I would like to know is what kind of reception other homebrew campaigns have had, and if they players were appreciative of the work the DM did coming up with the ideas.

Eternalknight

First Post
In my experience, you have to give the player's a reason to care, and instead of lumping them with a whole bunch of printed out pages on the campaign world I try to work it into the game.

Besides, the other reason to do homebrew worlds is because of the fun of creating them :)

Tauric

First Post
The players (most of them) were good players, getting into character and giving them personality. They just didn't seem to (as EternalKnight said) care about the setting.

They were interested in the storyline, interacting with the NPCs and picking up plot hooks (even one's I just threw out as red herrings, and had to flesh out on the fly). They just didn't care about the background or setting of the story.

Drakmar

Explorer
actually.. I have found that it is easier just to tell the players that...

This is the world.

Here are the Gods.

These are the cultures.

And then... when they go.. Aw.. but I don't like this god... You go. Tuff.

And if they say.. My character doesn't believe in gods.. you go.. What? so your character is stupid? In a Fantasy world, a character knows that "gods" are real. They can come down and Zot you.

I also tell them that there will be repurcussions of not believing. Gods don't what that to become a common thing, they thrive on belief. So.... if your gods are active, life is going to be very difficult for the chars.

And....

Lay down the law. If someone says to me.. I am going to play a norse warrior called Hitomi Kyahasu. I say ok, your character is not Japenese.. new name now. here is a list of Nordic names to help you decide.

You need to have your cultural beliefs believable and achievable. ie. If you have a player that knows nothing about a culture type, you need to provide them with some stereotypes of that culture, and if possible, some real world examples.

another thing is. All xp is character driven. You tell them that must play to their characters culture if they want to gain xp.

Jürgen Hubert

First Post
Tauric said:
So, what I would like to know is what kind of reception other homebrew campaigns have had, and if they players were appreciative of the work the DM did coming up with the ideas.

Well, I am currently playtesting Urbis, and my players seem to be fairly appreciative - they enjoy trying out a world that might get published one day, and I've recieved a fair amount of input from them.

What are the specific "hooks" of your setting? Which differentiate it from any other setting out there? And did you explain them to your players in depth?

Drakmar

Explorer
to give you an example. I am currently playing in a game where the major culture is a psuedo-Nordic one. In this culture there is a great deal of importance put on honour, family honour, traditions, and glory. The main virtues that the culture venerates are, Glory, Strength, Fortitude, Mobility, Wealth, Honour.

IN this culture Wizards and Sorceror's are considered almost taboo. If you are woman and you are a wizard or a sorceror, you are barely accepted. If you are a man, you are considered to have turned you back on society and in some parts of the country you will be killed on the spot.

We have a a player you was told this at the beginning of the game. And choose to be a wizard. And well.... he is suffering the consequences. In many instances, he is ostracised or targeted. He is starting to understand the culture.

Eosin the Red

First Post
I used to have the same problem in my homebrew game. I quit trying to shove it down their throats and instead introduced the setting just like you would introduce a TV show. Week by week new things would crop up...new words that the players did not understand. They started to ask questions about how the Great Fellowship and the Order of Nine Stars were related to each other and how come all the mages from one order carried these little stones?

I had made dozens of hand outs that never got read....cool timelines with the same results. It was not until the players were hooked on the game that the setting became important. The best way to get them interested is to get the character interested....the player will follow. Even with that, 2 of the seven PCs could not name more than 3 of the gods in my homebrew or explain how magic is different. The big thing is to avoid "forcing" the players to do anything that feels like work or homework.

Eternalknight

First Post
How, Knight?
I used to have the same problem in my homebrew game. I quit trying to shove it down their throats and instead introduced the setting just like you would introduce a TV show. Week by week new things would crop up...new words that the players did not understand. They started to ask questions about how the Great Fellowship and the Order of Nine Stars were related to each other and how come all the mages from one order carried these little stones?

I had made dozens of hand outs that never got read....cool timelines with the same results. It was not until the players were hooked on the game that the setting became important. The best way to get them interested is to get the character interested....the player will follow. Even with that, 2 of the seven PCs could not name more than 3 of the gods in my homebrew or explain how magic is different. The big thing is to avoid "forcing" the players to do anything that feels like work or homework.
I couldn't have said it much better myself. Make important plot hooks revolve around your world, and make the world important to the adventures themselves. To rescue the princess you must first find out as much about her captives, a bunch of cannibals from the Blood Mountains.

Also, slowly introduce different parts of the world, instead of all at once - this way important details are likely to stick in their minds.

William Ronald

Explorer
Players have to develop an emotional investment to a setting, whether it is a homebrew or a published campaign.

There needs to be a sense of history and of cultures. The world has to obey its own internal logic.

Mind you, players should have a chance to make a difference in their campaigns. For example, the wizard PC in Drakhmar's campaign might ultimately be able to dissuade some people of the stereotypes of his profession.

It also pays to introduce elements of the campaign slowly. Sometimes, people can be overwhelmed by too much information.

I would argue that in addition to the joy of creating a homebrew campaign, there is a sense of ownership. A DM can create a homebrew that has his takes on different cultures, magic, and reflects his interests. It is also easier to make changes to a homebrew setting than a commercial one as players can't claim that a given NPC or country is described differently in campaign canon materials.

Remove ads