• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Why do girls get to have all the fun??

RobNJ

Explorer
In my last homebrew world there were plenty of male-only socieities and PrCs. The world was fairly misogynistic (in character), and women found adventuring would receive scorn in much of the "civilized" world.

My orc variant sort of turned orcs into gorillas, where the males were much larger and stronger than the females (sometimes as much as a foot).

Of course, all this chauvanism was the embodiment of evil for the campaign, but. . . :)

Wolfspirit

First Post
Kamikaze Midget said:
MEN GOT THE SHAFT!

Yes they do. I'm sorry, bad pun :D

Well, one thing to consider is that there are several societies, PRCs that it's easier to get into as a male, such as the Red Wizards of Thay (FRCS)

On the other hand supporting the female bias is that only females can have a unicorn cohort. The closest I can think of for guys is a subbucus ;)

SemperJase

First Post
hellbender said:
Political correctness is a societal system of controlled manipulation, which is not concerned with the individual. Diversity and fairness would stipulate gender issues more accurately.

hellbender

I think that is the whole point of his statement. When there is no difference between men and women, there is not diversity.

The thread is a good one. There is only a difference in the rules when in benefits a female character.

Fred Delles

First Post
All things equal, women are stronger than men in diversity in class and both role-playing and combat purposes.

But, in practice, all things are NOT equal.

In role-playing, the social stigmata (both in-game and real-life) of playing a female character, no matter what RL gender plays it, is quite powerful. Everyone always thinks "men can do anything, women must be wizard or healer, never warrior", and even today, how many good female warriors are there? Any besides the one or two NPCs and perhaps a deviant PC? The professions are the same. Your average army barracks are probably 90-100% male, and many professions in the RP worlds (perhaps except for wizardry) are also male-dominated. This de facto exclusiveness forces women to take a different path.

Now that many of us are older and wiser, many have gotten over it, but there are those immature teens/pre-teens that play and fire sexist ideology, both verbally ("You're a pansy" "You're a girl. Beat it!") and subliminially (women are always housewives and wenches in every town), so the sexism continues.

Certain character combinations exist for males, but almost NEVER for females except for gimmicks. Rules allow it, but that above stigmata prevents it. I mean, how many female elven barbarians with 18 STR and 18 CON do we have? I played a female Kagonesti barbarian in Dragonlance (I'm male) and had a blast. But that's more for deviation and cheap fantasizing (she's a mithril-armored chick, but still one hot chick).

To balance, WotC had to create female-only PrCs and certain feats. Rather than break the glass ceiling, Wizards circumvented it.

Crothian

First Post
Most of the time we play gender true. However, we do have female players and they have no problems. Ther are certain setting I may run that do have gender bias, but I try to make sure everyone is aware of them when the game begins.

Corlon

First Post
Tsyr said:
For the record, I don't consider the Eunuch Warlord a prestige class for men... Because it sorta... um... cancles that out, and all.

That actualy brings up a good point. If a character changed sex magicly, would they be able to take the class if they were now a woman? What if they were a woman, now a man? Or what if the class is taken, but THEN the gender changes... does the class benefits go away?

Though there are a couple of prestige classes I've modified to be male-only in my campaign, to go along with the female ones.

And, for the record, there is ONE published prestige class that basicly requires you to be male: The Asha'man prestige class from Wheel of Time. Of course, that same book also introduces the Aei'Sedai, Wise One, and one other prestige class (The one for the weather-witches, I forget the name) that are female only, so all things are balanced again...

Again, that's not counting that one that's... um... unpleasent.
Yeah, that's because WoT is one of the most gender based worlds EVER, and Ase-Sedai and Asha-man are pretty much the same class... it's just that males are better, but they go crazy.

Moe Ronalds

First Post
The Chauvenast (Did I mention that I can not spell? I know, big news.)

Men are the kings of the earth. Women should be forced to cook, clean, and make babies. Thus is the attitude of this pig-headed prestige class.

Requirements:
Skills: 5 ranks in belch, fart, and "scratch yourself"
Special: The character must spend at least 5 non-stop hours insulting every female he encounters with his constant hit-ons.

Class Skills: Belch, "Scratch yourself", fart, sport (football, hockey)

Class features:

Odor: Your character can, a number of times per day equal to the opposite of their charisma modifier times their level (thus, a level 2 chauvenast with a -2 charisma modifier can use this ability four times per day) make everyone within 10 feet make a fortitude save (negative cha modifier+10+levels in all classes combined) or suffer from nausea for 1 minute. This is an extraordinary ability.

Grunt: At 2nd level, Chauvenasts learn their own secret language. Only other Chauvenasts know this language.

Hey baby, what's your sign?: At 3rd level, the Chauvenast is so repulsive that ever time he fails a charisma check against a female, they must make a will save (DC 20) or slap him in the face and walk away.

Super Belch: If the chauvenast makes a belch check (DC 20), he can do 1d6/level sonic damage to all within 30 feet.

If it's there, it shall be done: At 5th level the Chauvenast's "What's your sign" ability works on all creatures, due to their utter repulsiveness. Also, the DC is 25, and if they fail the woman becomes nauseaus and panicked.

This is a five level prestige class. The BaB is 3/4 class. Fort save: good, ref and will save not so good.

Does this work? :D

Deedlit

First Post
Also, Lloth only allows female clerics. Males should be glad to know that Knights of Solamnia were male-only before the war of the lance, and when Dl3e comes out if you run a game in the time of huma, or when Istar reined supreme, males get an exclusive class(Not sure if it's core or PrC)

Remove ads