Why do nerds love East Asia so much?

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Outside of recursive definitions like 'nerds are people who like nerdy things

Please note that's not what I said. I noted that nerds like things. Not "nerdy" things. If you want a more verbose restatement: nerds generally have a proclivity for and predisposition to focused enthusiasms.

I find the bit about seeking social cachet to be mistaking normal human behavior for specifically nerdy behavior. Humans in general seek status, and will typically seek it within any social grouping they inhabit, nerdy or otherwise.

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
I'm old, I don't keep up with pop culture over the past decade or so :p

But you're right. In recent years, Korea certainly has exploded in popularity with film in particular. I was speaking more of in the RPG context.
Old doesnt cut it anymore - my mother loves K- Dramas and wants to decorate her house with a Goryeo theme.

Please note that's not what I said. I noted that nerds like things. Not "nerdy" things. If you want a more verbose restatement: nerds generally have a proclivity for and predisposition to focused enthusiasms.
I didn't say it was, quoting your post was really just to establish that I was talking about definitions of nerd-dom. Regardless, to clarify -- I meant, for me, aside from recursive definitions, I found the one listed as one of the more useful. 'People who really like stuff' is not bad either, but too broad for my point.
I find the bit about seeking social cachet to be mistaking normal human behavior for specifically nerdy behavior. Humans in general seek status, and will typically seek it within any social grouping they inhabit, nerdy or otherwise.
I don't think any of it is specific to nerds. Nerds certainly aren't the only ones to pore over the minutia or intricacies of the subject of their obsession either (hence the similarities to sports fans, as I mentioned). The salient point I was trying to emphasize was the 'focused, modular, and easy to obsess about' component* -- you can understand Batman over the course of one issue, but then spend the rest of your life learning more, refining your preferences, writing articles about what Batman means to you, and so forth. The same can be accomplished with various facets of East Asian media, folklore, history, etc., particularly as an outsider coming in fresh might experience it.
*which, itself, is not unique to nerds, but I do think a notable quality common amongst us.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Your premise seems racist.
That didn't occur to me, but like a lot of people (I think), I don't think of myself as racist but almost certainly harbor some innate biases and preconceptions that I work to identify and uproot.

In this case, though, I genuinely don't see how saying "boy, geeks sure like anime and ninja and JRPGs, beyond the level of enthusiasm for them in the general US population" is in any way racist. Nor am I interested in "othering" geeks (I've been posting on this site since 2003, among other elements of geekdom, many of them much more prominent and public than this, so I would be othering myself).

This thread is intended as an inquiry into why the geeky enthusiasm is a thing, which I think most people would say exists.

Mallus

Legend
I think part of it is very simple: the film industries in Japan and Hong Kong exported a lot of media to the West that was cheap to license and got dumped on syndicated television staring in the (late) 1960s. Speed Racer, Godzilla, Shaw Brothers martial arts movies, etc. That was the beginning of it.

MGibster

Legend
Old doesnt cut it anymore - my mother loves K- Dramas and wants to decorate her house with a Goryeo theme.
While I'd like to see Train to Busan and I enjoyed Old Boy, K-Pop mostly seems to be aimed and teenage girls and soap operas just aren't my bag. So the currently popularity of Korean media is going over my head.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
While I'd like to see Train to Busan and I enjoyed Old Boy, K-Pop mostly seems to be aimed and teenage girls and soap operas just aren't my bag. So the currently popularity of Korean media is going over my head.
My nieces enthuse about K-Pop to me, and I just nod helplessly. I know that BTS is the biggest thing in the world and people with superb musical taste like Blackpink, but it is all completely opaque to me.

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
That didn't occur to me, but like a lot of people (I think), I don't think of myself as racist but almost certainly harbor some innate biases and preconceptions that I work to identify and uproot.

In this case, though, I genuinely don't see how saying "boy, geeks sure like anime and ninja and JRPGs, beyond the level of enthusiasm for them in the general US population" is in any way racist. Nor am I interested in "othering" geeks (I've been posting on this site since 2003, among other elements of geekdom, many of them much more prominent and public than this, so I would be othering myself).

This thread is intended as an inquiry into why the geeky enthusiasm is a thing, which I think most people would say exists.

its not racist at all, the premise of nerds love asian products is no more racist than me saying I prefer British comedies to US or I like Jamaican dancehall

Well, I don't think it's exactly "focused" on the Geeks. The East Asia culture has themes and elements that attract everyone. But it did start with the Geeks.

Set the Wayback Machine for 1970 something. You had the occasional 'Asia' movie, but they were not 'blockbusters'. There was really only ONE way to get exposed to 'East Asia' for most of the 70s (and 80s) : UHF. By the late 70/ early 80 s UHF channels were playing a ton of stuff from Asia. A typical viewing area had two UHF channels: One that played the American re-runs of the old shows......and that other one. The other one was quite often a high number Channel 67 or something like that. They either could not afford "I Love Lucy" or there were crazy laws saying "only one channel per county can brodcast this show". But the UHF channels had some 16 hours or so to fill of air time. And shows from Asia were cheep to buy. There were some companies that even took the Asia shows, edited and dubbed them into English, and then sold them. Your typical 60 something UHF channel had ham afternoon and afternoon of kids shows like Ultraman and G-force. Then in the evening had the more adult shows like The Samurai and The Super Girl. And spaced in-between, week day afternoons and weekends were all the movies, from Godzilla to King Boxer. I'm sure more then one poster here saw their first Bruce Lee movie on the Sunday Action Matinee on channel 67 along with a goofy movie host.

And the UHF channels also put on things like local city council, high school sports.......and Martial Arts. Someone would put a camera at some people doing real martial arts for an hour or two....maybe even a competition. At first just to fill time. But it quickly gained popularity.

And who was watching all this? Well the "Main Stream People" were ALL (nearly like 99%) over watching ONLY the Big Three National Networks(and maybe PBS). It's just how TV worked at the time. So who was watching the UHF channels?

The Geeks.

Of course the National Networks had close to zero kids/teen programing other then Saturday Cartoons and an After School Special and an odd show like The Mumpets. And even for many (geek) adults, the over done cop, medical, family dramas and made for TV movies did not really draw them in. And they were the ones tunning in to UHF.

And this was true for all the 70/80. Few "Main Stream" people even knew Asia Media existed.

But the draw was still there. If you could get a "main stream kid" to watch say Voltron, there was a good chance they would like it. And this is EXACTLY what happened in about the mid 80s. The UHF channels would show American shows like GI Joe, back to back with Voltron. And kids ate it up.

And things like Martial Arts exploded in the 80s. And not just for the 'geeks', everyone...even the mainstream kids would take martial arts classes.

Buy say 1990 or so a typical main stream person would see a ninja and say "wooohaa, that is so cool!", and the geek next to them would just nod and say "Yea, I've know that for years......".

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
Well, I don't think it's exactly "focused" on the Geeks. The East Asia culture has themes and elements that attract everyone. But it did start with the Geeks.

Set the Wayback Machine for 1970 something. You had the occasional 'Asia' movie, but they were not 'blockbusters'. There was really only ONE way to get exposed to 'East Asia' for most of the 70s (and 80s) .

funnily enough I think Blockbuster, or rather the rise of home video, did a lot to bring Shaw Brothers and Golden Harvest into homes, followed closely by Ninjas - it certainly did to mine (our weekends were a mix of Terrence Hill/Bud Spencer westerns or Kung-fu movies)

TV did have Carradines Kung Fu ‘young grasshopper’ and even Saturday Morning cartoons gave us Hong Kong Phooey, at the time I didnt realise that G-Force or Voltron was Japanese or my very first exposure to anime

Remove ads