• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Why do people think high-level play is munchkin? I've got a theory

Green Knight

First Post
Feel free to share your own personal theories. Here're my own 2 theories.

1) People who think high-level play is munchkin have only played it as one-off games. Meaning that they made already high-level characters and that's how they experienced high-level play. They didn't actually start that character from 1st-level, but rather picked it up from 12th, 15th, or whatever level.

Now, I can see why people would consider it munchkin from this type of game. For instance, I played a 17th level game a couple weeks ago, and my Monk was a MADMAN! Only matched by the Fighter with the Improved Critical Feat and his Keen Vorpal Scimitar!

But consider, first, that the magic items selected for the characters weren't found in-game. They were selected. When you're advancing up levels, often times you don't have the opportunity to maximize your characters killing potential the way you can when you're making an already high-level character. Oftentimes your character just takes what he can get. So while that Fighter had a Keen Vorpal Scimitar, he might not have had it had he played to 17th level from 1st level.

Second, it was a one-off game. The characters had nothing tying them down. Since all their money was spent on magic items, they had very little cash on hand. A 17th level character, however, who started at 1st-level, would have by that point things which tied him down. All his money wouldn't be put into just powerful magic items, but other assets. Maybe a keep, temple, or monastery. Had I played that Monk from 1st-level to 17th-level he might not have been anywhere near as powerful, as some of that money I put towards magic items might've gone to a monastery or something similar.

2) Bad DMing. Not necessarily, but some DM's just don't have an understanding of high-level play. Which is what's led to people believing that high-level play is inherently munchkin.

For instance, I've been keeping up on a high-level Story Hour called "Lady Despina's Virtue" which is RIFE with role-playing, politics, and plotting, yet which so far hasn't involved a single combat. Now that's a high-level campaign done right!

Some DM's, however, just don't know how to handle intrigue or politics. In short, there're DM's who run their high-level campaigns the way they do their low-level campaigns, with the same old dungeong-crawling schtick. Just with tougher monsters, dragons and beholders instead of orcs and goblins.

Problem is, when you run a monster of such magnitude as a dragon as if it were an orc, it looses its luster. Another problem with DM's who don't know how to handle high-level play. Orcs and their like have simple tactics, but dragons, beholders and their like have much more complicated tactics, due to their increased options. But some DM's don't take advantage of that. So when you kill the ill-played dragon, it becomes pedestrian, rather than the epic undertaking that slaying a dragon is supposed to be. Another reason why some people like low-level play. They prefer monsters like dragons to be the deadly threats that they're supposed to be, and even with the most inept DM playing it, a dragon will still wipe out a low-level party.

Anyway, those're my theories. Agree? Disagree? Have your own theory? Please feel free to add to the discussion.

barsoomcore

Unattainable Ideal
I've got a theory.

It could be demons.

Some dancing demons.

No, something isn't right there.

Sorry, Buffy ref.

Actually, I try to run my low-level campaigns as rife with intrigue, politics and turmoil, so high-level isn't that big a deal for me. But I know what you mean. I'm actually pretty inexperienced when it comes to high-level gaming but my current group is easing up on 10th level so I'm about to get baptized...

Dougal DeKree

First Post
High Lvl Hacknslash after Low Lvl Diplomacy

Hi!

Hmm, since this "problem" has made me stop playing with a group i went with for about a year, i loose a word about it.
Yes, this is a little rant and might seem OT, but is not... ;)

option 3)
The problem i experienced was the opposite to the 2nd theory by Green Knight: We started several Campaigns, al at 1st lvl (the latest one as 0-lvl slaves...) and played each one for quite some time, about until the average lvl was 6 or so. The problem is, at this degree of power one has to change a little aspect in one's roleplaying, IMHO. It simply is no longer the "hope we gonna survive this travel from A to B", but rather going to a more interactional style of gaming (excellently example is the story hour Green Knight mentioned). Now a problem does arise, when most of the group still only wants a diablo-like hacknslash-rollplaying. Since at this power-lvl of the group the usual bandit-ambush is good for some jokes and tougher opponents tend to a) be not as tough as expected or b) result in an accidental pk a group with this kind of players will inevidently stop. It is frustrating for the GM and for the players who actually want to roleplay.

So, some GM just use the easy escape of branding high-level-play as munchkinism, only to avoid such problems. Might be good. Might not.

Dougal DeKree, retired Gnomish Illusionist

Numion

First Post
My theory is that some people (who think themselves in minority, but aren't; at least on-line) think that low-magic campaign is inherently more involved and role-playing vs. roll-playing than high-magic. (High-magic = DMG treasure levels)

High-level games have more magic than low-level

-->

Low-level games are more sophisticated and role-playing than high-level

&&

High-magic roll-playing == MUNCHKIN!

-->

High-level == MUNCHKIN!

Elementary, dear Watson! ;)

telepox

First Post
Green Knight said:
Feel free to share your own personal theories. Here're my own 2 theories.

1) People who think high-level play is munchkin have only played it as one-off games. Meaning that they made already high-level characters and that's how they experienced high-level play. They didn't actually start that character from 1st-level, but rather picked it up from 12th, 15th, or whatever level.

Now, I can see why people would consider it munchkin from this type of game. For instance, I played a 17th level game a couple weeks ago, and my Monk was a MADMAN! Only matched by the Fighter with the Improved Critical Feat and his Keen Vorpal Scimitar!

But consider, first, that the magic items selected for the characters weren't found in-game. They were selected. When you're advancing up levels, often times you don't have the opportunity to maximize your characters killing potential the way you can when you're making an already high-level character. Oftentimes your character just takes what he can get. So while that Fighter had a Keen Vorpal Scimitar, he might not have had it had he played to 17th level from 1st level.

Second, it was a one-off game. The characters had nothing tying them down. Since all their money was spent on magic items, they had very little cash on hand. A 17th level character, however, who started at 1st-level, would have by that point things which tied him down. All his money wouldn't be put into just powerful magic items, but other assets. Maybe a keep, temple, or monastery. Had I played that Monk from 1st-level to 17th-level he might not have been anywhere near as powerful, as some of that money I put towards magic items might've gone to a monastery or something similar.

2) Bad DMing. Not necessarily, but some DM's just don't have an understanding of high-level play. Which is what's led to people believing that high-level play is inherently munchkin.

For instance, I've been keeping up on a high-level Story Hour called "Lady Despina's Virtue" which is RIFE with role-playing, politics, and plotting, yet which so far hasn't involved a single combat. Now that's a high-level campaign done right!

Some DM's, however, just don't know how to handle intrigue or politics. In short, there're DM's who run their high-level campaigns the way they do their low-level campaigns, with the same old dungeong-crawling schtick. Just with tougher monsters, dragons and beholders instead of orcs and goblins.

Problem is, when you run a monster of such magnitude as a dragon as if it were an orc, it looses its luster. Another problem with DM's who don't know how to handle high-level play. Orcs and their like have simple tactics, but dragons, beholders and their like have much more complicated tactics, due to their increased options. But some DM's don't take advantage of that. So when you kill the ill-played dragon, it becomes pedestrian, rather than the epic undertaking that slaying a dragon is supposed to be. Another reason why some people like low-level play. They prefer monsters like dragons to be the deadly threats that they're supposed to be, and even with the most inept DM playing it, a dragon will still wipe out a low-level party.

Anyway, those're my theories. Agree? Disagree? Have your own theory? Please feel free to add to the discussion.

Oh Sage Master, teach us!!!! (Bow, Bow, kneel, kneel)
Thanx for making all those assumptions.

DWARF

First Post
It could be witches,
Some evil witches.
Which is rediculous. The witches were all persecuted, wicked good and love the earth and women power, I'll be over here...

Volefisk

First Post
I've played in low-level "munchkin" campaigns as well. You know the ones: where the players have nothing invested in their characters and are willing to face impossible odds with reckless abandon just for the opportunity to gain mondo experience and rewards quickly. After all, they can always make another disposable character if their first (or third) dies in pursuit of levels...

If a low-level campaign can be munchkin without an excess of items/magic/experience/feats, then why must a high-level campaign be necessarily munchkin because it has those things?

<volefisk>

Vaxalon

First Post
Sounds to me like we're once again talking about "munchkin" without defining it.

Munchkin: A style of play characterized by competitiveness between players, especially for power, and DM attention. Munchkin players will often resort to cheating and/or rules lawyering to accomplish their goals. Munchkin characters will often be built with an eye towards being able to handle any situation singlehandedly.

To me, munchkin play can happen at any level.

Remove ads