Why do RPGs have rules?

pemerton

Legend
One of my kids likes to play imagination games - she and her friends all pretend to be other people (often superheroes) and do exciting and interesting things.

These clearly have a lot in common with RPGing. But they don't have rules - disagreements about what happens next are just resolved by people talking it over and reaching (or sometimes not reaching) agreement.

So why do RPGs have rules?

Some of the best answers to this question that I know come from Vincent Baker (here, here and here):

Roleplaying is negotiated imagination. In order for any thing to be true in game, all the participants in the game (players and GMs, if you've even got such things) have to understand and assent to it. When you're roleplaying, what you're doing is a) suggesting things that might be true in the game and then b) negotiating with the other participants to determine whether they're actually true or not. . . .

Mechanics might model the stuff of the game world, that's another topic, but they don't exist to do so. They exist to ease and constrain real-world social negotiation between the players at the table. That's their sole and crucial function.

Some very good designers consider the assignment of authority to be the point of rpg design. I do not.

As a designer, it's my job to make as sure as possible that the game won't break down into moment-to-moment negotiations about raw assent despite the game's rules and the players' upfront commitment to them. But the brute assignment of authority is NOT how to accomplish that.

When my games assign authority they do so in strict service to what I consider the real point: setting expectations and granting permission.

if all your formal rules do is structure your group's ongoing agreement about what happens in the game, they are a) interchangeable with any other rpg rules out there, and b) probably a waste of your attention. Live negotiation and honest collaboration are almost certainly better. . . .

As far as I'm concerned, the purpose of an rpg's rules is to create the unwelcome and the unwanted in the game's fiction. The reason to play by rules is because you want the unwelcome and the unwanted - you want things that no vigorous creative agreement would ever create. And it's not that you want one person's wanted, welcome vision to win out over another's - that's weak sauce. No, what you want are outcomes that upset every single person at the table. You want things that if you hadn't agreed to abide by the rules' results, you would reject.

If you don't want that - and I believe you when you say you don't! - then live negotiation and honest collaboration are a) just as good as, and b) a lot more flexible and robust than, whatever formal rules you'd use otherwise.

The challenge facing rpg designers is to create outcomes that every single person at the table would reject, yet are compelling enough that nobody actually does so. If your game isn't doing that, like I say it's interchangeable with the most rudimentary functional game design, and probably not as fun as good freeform.​

In summary: on this account, the function of RPG rules is to help mediate and constrain the process of agreeing on the shared fiction; and not just by assigning authority ("It's your turn now to say what happens next") but by shaping what is said so that it is surprising and even unwelcome to all participants.

There are approaches to RPGing, and examples of RPG rules, that at least to me don't seem to fit with Baker's picture. That doesn't necessarily make them "bad" RPGs. It does mean that they are meant to provide a different sort of experience from what Baker has in mind.

The two examples I'm thinking of:

(1) In classic dungeon-crawling and puzzle-solving D&D, some of the rules do have the function of easing negotiation - eg rules about likelihoods of finding secret door, and rules about surprise and encounter distance, and some elements of the avoidance and evasion rules. But some of the rules really seem like they're largely disconnected from "shared imagination" except that, at the end of the rule process, they spit out an answer to "what happens next" - I'm thinking about the combat rules in particular here, which involve playing a mini-wargame to answer the question "what happens when the PCs fight the monsters". And the idea of "unwelcome" outcomes doesn't really seem applicable.

(2) In "trad", post-DL D&D, the general expectation is that the players will work through the GM's scenario or story. There are non-D&D PRGs, like CoC, that are played similarly. Some of the rules in these RPG do seem to have the function of easing negotiation - eg Perception checks or Research checks will determine when and how the GM dispenses new information to the players - but the rules don't seem to have any function of generating "unwelcome" outcomes. In adventure modules intended for this sort of play, there are often instructions to the GM about how to blunt outcomes that might be unwelcome (eg if a Perception check is failed, here's another way to provide the new information; if a NPC is killed, here's a way to introduce a new NPC to play the same role as the dead PC would have played in events that are yet to occur in play but are intended to occur as part of the scenario). I would say that an important role of mechanics in this sort of play is to generate a degree of uncertainty on the part of the players about the exact process that the GM is using to determine what happens next.

There are probably other reasons too why RPGs have rules, other things that those rules can do.

Well, I think VB might be giving short shrift to the core 'process of play' stuff, though I agree that in PbtA games following his specific design that process does a lot of 'bringing about the unwelcome'. So his design is VERY 'tight' in that the same 'moving parts' simultaneously achieve several objectives. I think he may simply have not focused on the basic "how do you do this?" part as much.

Anyway, to me it seems like classic D&D combat is definitely a 'bring unwelcome news' mechanism! It lets the GM say "you're dead!" without any recriminations (well, hey, its on the key, see room 6: 4 Ethereal Barracudas, see!). Really though its part of the whole reward and punishment for good and bad play mechanism. Classic D&D is a VERY simple game at its core, the monsters are mean, nasty, and hungry, you have to get their gold without being eaten. I'm not sure classic D&D is centered as much on shared imagination, its very close to being a wargame in its most basic parts. Like, as I understand it Blackmoor was NOTHING but the castle and dungeon, the 'town' was just an abstract concept, and there was no 'wilderness', at least not at first. So, sure, there was imagination there, but it was mostly "vividly imagining what the DM told you was there" and then imagining a solution to the problem it posed. D&D clearly still draws heavily from those roots.

pemerton

Legend
to me it seems like classic D&D combat is definitely a 'bring unwelcome news' mechanism! It lets the GM say "you're dead!" without any recriminations
Agreed, but it filters that through a fairly complex mini-wargame that doesn't in itself have much to do with shared imagination. (Eg we don't know, and don't need to know, what "take 4 hp damage" actually means in the fiction, until we get to the "you're dead' moment.)

I'm not sure classic D&D is centered as much on shared imagination, its very close to being a wargame in its most basic parts.

<snip>

there was imagination there, but it was mostly "vividly imagining what the DM told you was there" and then imagining a solution to the problem it posed.
Agreed. I think this is mostly unmediated negotiation that takes place without any role for rules. But it's clear (and I think you posted something similar in a recent thread) that there were some things - especially around secret doors and traps - where Arneson and Gygax thought that unmediated negotiation might break down, and so they introduced dice rolls instead.

Surprise, and encounter distance, and some aspects of the avoidance/evasion rules, similarly substitute rolls for unmediated negotiation.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
There are probably other reasons too why RPGs have rules, other things that those rules can do.

How about we look back at the origin of the game that we are all acquainted with - D&D.

It's origins are in wargaming. And wargaming goes back to things like chess. Chess isn't about agreeing on a shared fiction - it is about engaging tactical and logical puzzle solving, with the rules providing the framework.

While there are RPGs that drastically reduce the presence of tactical play, most traditional RPGs still include a healthy dose of it - because it is fun for a lot of people.

Agreed, but it filters that through a fairly complex mini-wargame that doesn't in itself have much to do with shared imagination. (Eg we don't know, and don't need to know, what "take 4 hp damage" actually means in the fiction, until we get to the "you're dead' moment.)

Agreed. I think this is mostly unmediated negotiation that takes place without any role for rules. But it's clear (and I think you posted something similar in a recent thread) that there were some things - especially around secret doors and traps - where Arneson and Gygax thought that unmediated negotiation might break down, and so they introduced dice rolls instead.

Surprise, and encounter distance, and some aspects of the avoidance/evasion rules, similarly substitute rolls for unmediated negotiation.
Right, but I think it was PURELY a way of saying "hey, I'm not sure how thick the door is, or if you picked the wax out of your ear today, or if you just didn't get a good night's sleep. So I'll roll this dice to see if you hear the nasty goblin mouse on the other side..." So there's a bunch of that, and it was encouraged to use that technique anywhere. Here's an interesting point, they rarely cared about 'difficulty' per se. Kinda reminds you of PbtA, lol.

Dioltach

Legend
To quote the Adam Ant song:
"Bang bang, you're dead,
Did not, did too..."

As a kid, I played soldiers, cops and robbers, cowboys and Indians, and all kinds of other games with my friends. It always ended as soon as the "shooting" started, because everyone always insisted that they'd hit, but no-one ever wanted to be shot.

For me, RPGs have rules to prevent this kind of thing and offer an objective standard for sorting out these conflicts.

Aldarc

Legend
In very simple terms, because it's a role playing game, not an interactive story or play.
Reaction GIF

There are some people here who don't like being reminded that their roleplaying games are games.

Remove ads