• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

"Why do we do it?"

Webby140

First Post
Hey - I'm a drama student, and roleplayer/DM/gamer, and I'm currently writing my big research paper for my final year. I'm looking at the differences between narratives when an 'audience member' is merely watching the story, and when they're actually taking part.

I'm getting research together right now, and so I'd like to ask some questions. Please feel free to answer as much or as little as possible, but bear in mind that I may quote, giving username and the address of the site as reference. Thanks in advance:

What drew you to roleplaying, rather than watching the endeavours of characters created by other people (on TV series for example)?

What aspect of roleplaying do you enjoy the most? (Escapism? Creating an original character? Being able to tell a collective story? Doing things you're unable to IRL?)

How do you feel about the stories that are created through playing? Do you feel a stronger connection to them, or less? Do you feel you're part of its telling, or just an audience member to the DM?

DMs: How do you feel about the writing of original plots for DnD? And what drew you to DMing specifically?

Thanks!

weem

First Post
What drew you to roleplaying, rather than watching the endeavours of characters created by other people (on TV series for example)?

I had a crazy imagination as a kid. When I was introduced to D&D I was 12, and it was a game that let me not only create a character that was mine and mine alone (unique like no other) but I could also do whatever I wanted through him - kill monsters, get treasure - and it was different every single time I played. I wanted to climb over the next hill and see what was on the other side. It sucked me in like nothing else has since.

What aspect of roleplaying do you enjoy the most? (Escapism? Creating an original character? Being able to tell a collective story? Doing things you're unable to IRL?)

I love the exploration and the sharing of a story that develops around you and your friends on the fly - it's (pen and paper RPG's) dynamic like no other game can be, or will be that I can imagine. Anything is possible within this type of game, there are no limits. I won't be around when computers can present games to you that are this dynamic - I mean, we are excited with computer/console games right now that have destructible terrain.

As far as doing things in the game you are unable to do IRL, that sounds... cheesy to me when people think that is the main reason. As if we say, "Man, I wish I could fly, but since I can't I'll go play X game". I think that's fun having, for example, a character that can fly, but it's not a reason to play these games (for me anyway). After all you can get these kinds of things (the ability to do what you otherwise couldn't IRL) from many different kinds of games.

How do you feel about the stories that are created through playing? Do you feel a stronger connection to them, or less? Do you feel you're part of its telling, or just an audience member to the DM?

Do I feel a stronger connection to stories created through playing as opposed to what? Stories I read?

One of the greatest things (for me) about the stories created through playing is this... as I put it to a friend once... When you watch a TV series, or even a movie, many of us say things like "Oh, he's the bad guy I bet" or "If I were her I would have..." etc - and then later on in the movie, or the next time you watch the show you will find out what the result was. With stories generated in this game, you are deciding. After a game, maybe even days later, you could be talking with your friends who also play in the same game, but the discussion is more like this... "I think this guy is the bad guy... next time we see him, let's corner him and confront him about it"... etc.

DMs: How do you feel about the writing of original plots for DnD? And what drew you to DMing specifically?

What drew me into running games was the fact that I (in my opinion) have a highly creative/imaginative mind and I wanted to be able to share these ideas and run games for people that they really enjoyed and would remember for a long time.

Rechan

Adventurer
the differences between narratives when an 'audience member' is merely watching the story, and when they're actually taking part.
One place you might actually look to is dinner theatre, and other theatre where the audience participates. There are various performance art/shows (such as a Murder Mystery party) where the audience interacts with the in-character actors.

Another place you might want to go to specifically is LARPs. Not just the "Dress up in armor and attack eachother wiht foam", but ye olde V:TM groups.

I think those two are definitely a little different than 'sit at a table and roll dice, quote monty python and occasionally act in character with an NPC'.

The Little Raven

First Post

Sheer presumptive arrogance that I could do it better than they were doing. A burning need to create something that other people would be interested in, through my intellect and skill at performance.

All of the above. I like to take a break from my everyday life and step into the shoes of another persona along with my friends in order to kick ass, take names, and increase our capital. And I definitely want to be able to do things I can't do in the process, like slay dragons or parry the sun.

I don't necessarily feel a stronger connection to them, but it's a more personal connection because it's born out of a time of fun for me and my friends. I feel a part of its telling and do my best to make everyone else a part of it when I'm the DM.

There's nothing new under the sun, and I kinda like that. I tend to get my inspiration from anywhere I can find it. I was drawn into DM because my original DM was so awesome that I wanted to be in that seat, teasing my friends with clues about ancient unnamed evils and treasures beyond a man's dreams.

fba827

Adventurer

My initial roleplaying experience was because of friends. One of them had the rulebooks from an older sibling so we all gave it a try. It was an active group activity that my friends and I could enjoy together. As opposed to a passive group activity (such as watching tv/movies).

For me, at this stage in my life, my roleplaying enjoyment is entirely based on one of two things depending on my role in the game.

If I'm a player, my enjoyment is entirely based on escapism. For the duration of the game, I get to ignore my cell phone and real world responsibilities to be able to just sit down and participate in a story.

If I'm a DM, I enjoy it as a creative outlet. I have fun making up the plots/stories and seeing how the players react to it, and then going with it from there.

That depends entirely on the DM's style.

Sometimes a DM may railroad the story or is doing it from a published module, in which case I don't necessarily feel like I'm part of it's story telling, just running through whatever he/she has planned - kind of like a premade boardgame. (Nothing wrong with this style, and I can enjoy this too)

If the DM's style is open/free form, then, yes, by definition it is a player-driven story and I do feel closer to the story as if I'm actually part of its telling.

It's the difference between being a passenger while the DM drives the car (you can still enjoy the scenery from the window), or being the driver while the DM acts as the GPS receiver telling the driver what's ahead).... okay, weak analogy but you hopefully get what i'm trying to say.

If I'm DMing it's because I can write my own plots. I can't say they always end up being "original" as they usually end up being some twisted form of things that have been done before. But it has to be my concept or else I can't DM it. I feel too confined if its prewritten for me and I end up forgetting all the details which kills my motivation to run it.

That need for a creative outlet is what specifically drew me to DMing.

Jack7

First Post
I’ll help if I can Webby.

At first, when I was a kid, it was entertaining, and good exercise for my imagination. It also fit or patterned in with some of my other activities, camping, vadding, and the things I was reading, etc. I role-played some but then later on took up DMing and rarely got to play after that because everyone kept asking me to DM, or they didn’t want to do all of the work involved in having to DM.

But I think I (and perhaps many of my friends, based on the conversations we’ve had over the years) saw role playing and D&D (and when we first started D&D was basically all there was) more pragmatically, than as escapism. (There was an element of escapism, but it wasn’t strong.)

Many of my friends and I went into fields like the military, Intel Analysis, law enforcement, detective work, etc. (at least for a time in our careers) and may are the times we have had discussion about the things we learned in role playing being directly useful and applicable to real life. Yes, when we first started we really didn’t think of it that way, but by gaming we fundamentally impressed upon ourselves basic combat tactics, how to analyze and interrogate people, how to explore unknown locales, mapping skills, basic organizational principles, etc. We used the games to practice and research and learn more about such skills, making it that much more fun to play, and to develop interesting scenarios in which we could practice both our game and real world skills. My experiences and the experiences of my buddies may or may not be common in this respect, or they may be common to a certain generation of gamers, and not others. I can’t really say.

I have before encountered the idea among younger gamers that the very idea of a game being used to achieve real world value of some kind, well, based on prior comments, it seems anathema or even crazy to some of them. That an RPG world is one world, the real world another, and never the twain shall meet. Even though my friends and I have been able to do this easily (integrate fictional simulations with the real world) for twenty five to thirty years or so. But I didn’t know what percentage of younger gamers (and by that I mean kids primarily between 20 and thirty or so) feel like that.

However I can say that many of the kids who play in my milieu/group play just like we did, as a sort of fantasy/imaginary/simulational playground for learning useful things about the real world.

But I gotta say. One of my roommates at college was an actor, and acting is roleplay participation in a story. As much as playing in a party for an RPG. It just isn’t usually interactive, that is to say the script is static, open to interpretation by the actor, but usually not open to ad hoc modification. I say that to point out that playing an RPG is role-play participation, but it is usually interactive and open to modification throughout the entire process. That might help as an angle of exploration in your paper. Both are role play participation, one is interactive, the other scripted.

I liked character creation. I liked practicing things like acting and debating and forensic skills. I liked problem solving. Yes, you could do things you couldn’t do in real life, but even those things were usually applicable in a general sense to real life. So I didn’t value the escapism aspect so much but did the simulational aspect.

I also liked storytelling, but one thing I really learned was cooperative teamwork, investigative skills, and things like that which stood me in good favor later on. I also very much liked it when adventures/scenarios, etc. connected history, mythology, religion, literature and so forth throughout the story. I don’t know how many facts in myth, religion, science, technology and so forth I encountered in early games, or how many times the process worked in reverse (I saw in a game the fantasy or imaginary reflection of a real world event or fact), but the games and culture back then tended to cross-fertilize each other. I like allusions so that was a positive aspect of both entertainment and, for lack of a better term, oblique background education through gaming for me.

Depending on the story, how well or poorly done and executed, I usually like it better than a film. I consider RPGs an early form of Virtual Reality, which is non-technologically based, rather than mechanical or electronic. I guess you could also call things like RPGs biologically based Virtual Reality. Because of that I usually feel more connected to such creations than to film, although, if a film or book or some other form of media is very well produced and the story-line excellent then it can have the same effect upon me as with the best games.

I enjoy it and it’s useful. My children are homeschooled and we often use RPGs like that to supplement history education, or learning about myth, or religion, or politics, military affairs, culture. I guess I also like DMing cause I’ve done it for so long and don’t get to play much (though I like to play when I can).

I’ve never used a Pre-generated milieu and rarely use store-bought modules (though some are pretty good). I consider writing ages and designing adventures and missions and scenarios good writing practice as well as an enjoyable challenge at invention. I guess I’m also kind of strategic, and what used to be called “global” in my thinking and way of looking at the world. I like tactics, but ordinarily I’m kind of normally looking at the big problem and so I like seeing a lot of separate, detailed aspects of a thing being shaped to work together efficiently. So I like tinkering with worlds, so to speak.

I don't know if my particular background helped or not but good luck and Godspeed with your paper.

Ourph

First Post
I do both. They aren't mutually exclusive activities.

I like that RPGs are games with no end point and no winner. It's possible to keep playing the game indefinitely.

I think most of the stories created through playing are pretty uninteresting compared to a movie, book or TV show. They are interesting at the time because they are part of an interactive and competitive game I'm playing with friends, but most aren't worth repeating. That's why the ones that are worth repeating stand out so much. Everyone remembers the time we killed Thor by pushing him off a cliff (not really, that's just an example) but stuff like that doesn't happen every game session. In my experience, something memorable like that might happen once every few years.

As a DM, I think the best plot (if you want to call it that) is one where the PCs simply find themselves in a situation and have to survive or figure out some way to turn things to their advantage. I focus mainly on making interesting encounters, connected by some sort of logic, but not necessarily a "plot" in the literary sense.

As for being drawn to DMing, it was primarily because I played in groups where everyone else was drawn to NOT DMing. ;) I think I stick with it because there is a lot of variety in the tactical challenges and tools a DM gets to delve into in each playing session. So while I may not get the fun of controlling a character and playing him well enough to advance in level (i.e. winning), the variety of controlling lots of different monsters with lots of different and interesting abilities tends to make up for that.

Last edited:

Tequila Sunrise

Adventurer
Webby140 said:
It's all about control. There are a lot of great movies and TV shows, but I don't get to control anything about them. When a protagonist does something I find inconsistent or absurd, I have to live with the results for the rest of the story. Not so when I control the protagonist, because then he doesn't do inconsistent or absurd things.

Like football, I'd rather play it than watch others play. Some people seem to like yelling at the TV; "Come on, Gretsky, get your head in the game!" or "No, don't go in there, Jack will see you coming!" if they're watching a horror flick. I don't like talking to my TV, or to the characters in a book, because they can't hear and won't act differently as a result.

Webby140 said:
Mostly escapism and the ability to do things that I can't do in real life. In real life, I can't kill selfish and obnoxious people, and I certainly can't do it with magic. I suppress inappropriate impulses every day; gaming is a way to make my id and my superego happy at the same time.

Webby140 said:
I feel much more connected to stories created through my rp sessions, though they are rarely as powerful as my favorite books or movies. For example I can call MacCool the Mage and his story mine and my DM's, but LotR is a much better story.

Webby140 said:
From a story telling perspective I prefer playing because I only have to think about one character. From a rules and in-world perspective I prefer DMing because I can run the rules and the game world as I see fit.

True originality is an illusion, so I shamelessly borrow bits and pieces from books, movies and anything else that I can. If my players enjoy my plot, I can call it original; if they don't, I can call it someone else's.

Happy thesis writing!
TS

pawsplay

Hero

Role-playing has genuine uncertainty. It's not a given that the heroes will win the day, and if they don't, it's not an ironic twist, it's just tough luck.

Playing in imaginary milieus and playing with literary and cinematic tropes. Fantasy worlds, superheroes, and real world/historical action/intrigue are my favorite genres.

RPGs are really more about story-making than story-telling. Story-telling is something you might do after the fact. So there is not a strong connection as there is immediacy, just as a person may not feel a strong connection to events in their real lives that nonetheless were significant. RPGs are about moving the spirit. They are more life-like than novels or movies, really more similar to improv theater, religious ritual, "pretend," or fancruftology. Imaginary experiences that create real feelings.

I just love games so much, that I would DM rather than do without. In truth, I would probably prefer to play more than half the time than DM. But I enjoy writing plots and creating scenarios, and I enjoy challenging, surprising, and amusing my players. I'm kind of a pull-no-punches kind of GM because I think that's what brings excitement to the table.

Mallus

Legend
Watching and reading about characters created by other people. The idea of games premised on the playing pieces being fictional characters you create and control is simply smashing.

While I'm a big proponent of the notion RPG's are ultimately rooted in wish-fulfillment fantasies, I'd have to say my biggest priority is creating and acting out a character. I love unleashing my inner ham.

How do you feel about the stories that are created through playing? Do you feel a stronger connection to them, or less?
It's a bit of a wash. On the one hand I feel close to the stories I had a hand in telling, on the other hand, they're simply not as good as the stories I simply consume.

Do you feel you're part of its telling, or just an audience member to the DM?
If a game made me feel like I'm the DM's audience, I'd quit. Everyone, including the DM, is each other's audience. Good lord, I believe I'm paraphrasing Rush...

I feel original plots are more trouble than there worth. When game-writing, steal from your betters. Why do I DM? I enjoy inflicting my creative processes, such as they are, on others.

Last edited:

Remove ads