• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Why do you buy high-level adventures?

What do you use high level adventures for?

pogre

Legend
If they fit in my campaign concepts - I use them as an adventure. If the concept is not really a good fit - the usual case - I steal the plot ideas and NPC stat blocks. As my PCs rise in level I wish there were more high level adventures to buy. I do appreciate Dungeon's efforts in this regard under Mr. Mona's guidance.

S'mon

Legend
I bought a couple (Necropolis, Bastion of Broken Souls) for running in my high level campaign, but both sucked horribly. Nec we quickly abandoned, Bastion just looked tedious so we never started. So now I don't buy high-level modules.

Romnipotent

First Post
the same reason I'd buy anything. Semi naked elf chic on the cover!
That and to use it for ideas and fun of escaping the weekly grind once in a while

zeo_evil

First Post
High-level mods are useless unless you run a game with no continuity between adventures. Otherwise I rip out monsters, NPCs, and traps as needed. I do most of my own map work though.

DragonLancer

Adventurer
Mining for ideas but also for running it. I wouldn't buy a module that I didn't intend to run.

Quouted by S'mon.
I bought a couple (Necropolis, Bastion of Broken Souls) for running in my high level campaign, but both sucked horribly. Nec we quickly abandoned, Bastion just looked tedious so we never started. So now I don't buy high-level modules.

Necropolis was just too big IMO but Bastion was one of the best high end modules I've ever run. My group and I had real fun with that paticular adventure.

S'mon

Legend
zeo_evil said:
High-level mods are useless unless you run a game with no continuity between adventures.

That's my impression now. It's possible that the recent "campaign pack" approach could work better though - thinking of Mongoose's The Drow War in particular.

Thanee

First Post
Mostly the opposite of "Having all the "grunt work" of stat blocks and considering PC tactics done already"; the same idea just not the "grunt work" (I voted all the other options, except this ;)), which I find easy to do, but rather hoping for a cool idea for a story and background to use and merge with the current campaign (some alterations will surely be required to have it fit in and maybe even interlink it with a running campaign, especially if you know what adventures to integrate a while before you actually use them).

If (the optimum case) the adventure is so well-written, that it can be used 'as is' (with minor campaign-dependant tweaks, as applicable), then I might even simply use it, though, to be honest, I use only very few published adventures.

Bye
Thanee

Faraer

Explorer
To DM, probably with more than 'minimal tweaks', but in a recognizable form. To read as entertainment. And -- this should be an option in the poll -- for material on the particular campaign setting, both lore and as an example of play style.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads