• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Why do you GM?

Reynard

Legend
Supporter
[NOTE: Someone feel free to create a player version of this thread if you so desire, but here I am most interested in what motivates people to get behind the screen.]

I recently decided to take a break from running two bi-weekly Pathfinder games. After less than 2 months I am already feeling the pull back behind the screen. It's not that I don't like being a player -- I do -- but rather I don't like *not* running a game. So, I got to wondering: why do I GM? What is it that drives me to get behind the screen?

Part of it is a control issue, I'm sure. Not in a control-freak I must be right kind of way or a need to force a narrative on the players. Rather, being the "director" --even if I try and play in an open sandbox kind of way -- obviously gives me some pleasure. I think it is this that makes it hard for me to run modules, especially plot heavy ones and adventure paths. I need the convenience of having someone else do the heavy lifting design work for me, but I don't want, need or appreciate having to deal with their "story" (in fact, it was running an AP -- Jade Regent -- that pushed me to needing a break; I never felt like I was prepared, despite having an entire campaign prepared for me).

Another reason I GM is that I honestly like to entertain people. There are few forms of entertainment that allow you to so intimately engage an audience and work with them toward their own entertainment. Of course, it doesn't work so well if what the player finds entertaining is different than what I do, but you can't expect to please everyone.it took me a long time to realize that not being a good fit as a GM fora person is not the same as being a bad GM. Included in this is my fondness for character acting during the process of running the game. Stupid hats and funny voices FTW.

Finally, the creative process is extremely gratifying for me. Whethe it is a single trap or NPC, or a whole world background, creating makes me vey happy. I often worry that I spend too much creative energy on gaming when I should be spending it on writing or whatever.

Anyway, I'm curious why other perpetual GMs do it. What about it makes it worth all the effort and occasional frustration?

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
I like to know what's going on. As DM, I might not know what the players will pull out of their collective asses next, but as DM, I know everything else going on.

Derulbaskul

Adventurer
It's my creative outlet.

I have played two 4-hour sessions in 2010... and they were the first time I played since 1985. The entire time I am playing with the ideas the DM is presenting and thinking about how I would use them in one of my own games.

I definitely do not think I am the best DM going around - far, far, FAR from it - but it seems I am addicted to DMing, more particularly, I am addicted to the creative side of DMing.

Jon_Dahl

First Post
I want a story that I like. So far IME there has never been a GM who has made me 100% happy about his/her game. I'm sure that the problem is with my self-centered nitpicky way. When I run games, I'm personally satisfied with them. And it's important to notice that I'm not saying that my games are good and other ones are bad. I'm just saying that I feel that I can only satisfy my own standards when the game is run by me.

Edgewood

First Post
I think for me its because I am cursed with both ADHD and OCD that compel me to GM. Also, I love crafting a story and seeing the looks on the players faces when the big reveal occurs.

Grydan

First Post
Because I had to.

The first campaign I played in got me hooked on the game. I needed to play more. My DM had neither the time nor the inclination to either have the group meet more often or to run a second group.

So in order to have more time to play, I had to step into the role of DM and recruit other friends to play.

That first group I played in has long since fallen apart, but the group I started myself is still going (even if our schedule has become less reliable).

Of the six players in that group, four have now tried their hand at DMing, with one of them currently running a campaign that I participate in.

Another player that I recruited into that original group towards the end of its lifespan is my DM in the other campaign I play in.

I've got enough of a taste for DMing now that I have every plan of continuing to run my existing campaign through to its natural endpoint. I also have tentative plans for a homebrew campaign to follow it.

However, one campaign at a time is plenty to satisfy my DMing urges, whereas I would happily join as many campaigns as I could fit into my schedule on the other side of the screen.

(I just need to talk someone into GMing some of the other games I have but want to play rather than run.)

SeprenMaelstrom

First Post
I became the DM for my group because a) it made the most sense (my place was the best fit for hosting the group, which has since lost a player and gained three), and b) I was voted the best creatively suited to do it, hahah. I enjoy fantasy a lot and I can write reasonably well, so spinning the tale for an adventure works well enough for me.

I too love to create. Part of it for me, though, is the satisfaction I get when others enjoy the things I've created. When my players have had to pause and engage me with the right questions, I feel accomplished, hahah. I like to make things fun and at least a bit fleshed out for them.

tl;dr BENEVOLENT SELFISHNESS.

Gilladian

Adventurer
My reasons seem to match those of everyone here:
1) I love world creation, story creation, and figuring out fun scenarios to put players in.
2) I love the in-game interaction of players to world. Seeing and responding to their actions is FUN
3) giving people a fun time. When I play, I am only having fun for MYself. When I run, I'm giving everyone else fun, too (yeah, I know that it isn't strictly true, but that's how it feels).
4) if I don't, nobody else will run a game.

Remove ads