• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Why do you lke the Primal source?

Nifft

Penguin Herder
I would say that Nymphs and Dryads would be connected to the 'Primal' Source, since they are(at least in mythology to my knowledge) the 'spirits' of the various natural occurances. Tree nymphs and whatnot.
They're also hotties.
How about a group of classes based on hotties?
The art would sell itself.

Maybe call it the Party Power Source.

"Too sexy for my post", -- N

Dice4Hire

First Post
To get back on topic and stop offending grandma...

I have always had something like the primal source in my game, as it made little sense that monsters like unicorns and such had the same magic that characters did. Instead, they should have their own magic. So creatures like Dragons had their "primal" magic for flight and breath weapons and such, but could learn arcane magic for traditional spells. It worked well in my campaigns.

Klaus

First Post
They're also hotties.
How about a group of classes based on hotties?
The art would sell itself.

Maybe call it the Party Power Source.

"Too sexy for my post", -- N
That would get into trouble with the Marital Power source...

:D

Back to Primal, some examples of Primal powers from several media:
- Swamp Thing, Poison Ivy, Floronic Man
- Slayne the Barbarian
- He-Man (that's my template for a Warden)

I like the primal power source since it save me a lot of work!

See, me and my friend used to spend a lot of time and effort adapting the 3.5 rule-set to a homebrew world with lots of spirits and animistic beliefs (in this world, gods are spirits that became too large and bloated with worship)

Our shaman and totem-warrior classes were almost identical to the 4E versions of the shaman and warden. So much, actually, that we haven't had to alter those to fit the setting, they were already perfect.

He-Man (that's my template for a Warden)

You used to have a D&D-fied versions of the He-man characters in your gallery, didn't you, Klaus?

He-man as Warden and Skeletor as a Lich sounds like good fun!

Klaus

First Post
I like the primal power source since it save me a lot of work!

See, me and my friend used to spend a lot of time and effort adapting the 3.5 rule-set to a homebrew world with lots of spirits and animistic beliefs (in this world, gods are spirits that became too large and bloated with worship)

Our shaman and totem-warrior classes were almost identical to the 4E versions of the shaman and warden. So much, actually, that we haven't had to alter those to fit the setting, they were already perfect.

You used to have a D&D-fied versions of the He-man characters in your gallery, didn't you, Klaus?

He-man as Warden and Skeletor as a Lich sounds like good fun!
Sure did! Claudio Pozas Art & Design - Art Gallery - Masters of the Universe

MarkB

Legend
Am I alone in really not seeing what Power Sources in general bring to the party? So far, I haven't ever found myself thinking "I'm looking for a class that's really Primal", or "Well, I would be interested in playing that class if it wasn't so darn Arcane".

In the end, Power Sources are only a very loose linking theme, that provide almost nothing mechanically across the classes linked to them. The true differentiation occurs at the Class level, and frankly, if each individual class defined itself and the origins of its powers purely in its own terms, you'd lose little if anything compared to the current system, whilst freeing up classes from having to be shoehorned into some clumsy over-arching concept.

Mathew_Freeman

First Post
Am I alone in really not seeing what Power Sources in general bring to the party? So far, I haven't ever found myself thinking "I'm looking for a class that's really Primal", or "Well, I would be interested in playing that class if it wasn't so darn Arcane".

In the end, Power Sources are only a very loose linking theme, that provide almost nothing mechanically across the classes linked to them. The true differentiation occurs at the Class level, and frankly, if each individual class defined itself and the origins of its powers purely in its own terms, you'd lose little if anything compared to the current system, whilst freeing up classes from having to be shoehorned into some clumsy over-arching concept.

I know what you mean, but consider the following:

Party 1 - Fighter, Rogue, Warlord, Wizard
Party 2 - Warden, Barbarian, Shaman, Druid.

Whilst both parties cover the four roles well, the implications and links between the members of the group are going to make them totally different in play. I think the power sources are worth as much as you're prepared to put in to them.

For example, I'm playing a Druid in one game. The local government is a Theocracy, and whilst other members of the group (a fighter, a ranger, a rogue and a bard) have their problems with them and their plans, my Druid is alone is opposing them on a more fundamental level - they are consorting with Far Realms powers and as such I've declared to the members of the party that I want to burn their Cathedral to the ground, if possible.

It's leading to some inter-party conflict, but in a good way. We've all more-or-less pulling in the same direction, but we've got some radically different ideas about how to go about it. My Druid is all for killing Theocracy priests out of hand, surrendered or not, but he's been talked round a couple of times by other PC's. Sooner or later, though, we'll another chance to make a moral decision. It's a fun game, and the power sources of the various characters are an absolutely key part of that.

They don't have to be mechanically relevant to be important to the game. It matters for the story and the identification of the characters. What is their place in the game world?

Sure, it doesn't affect how you roll your dice or wheter a 25 hits you or not. But it matters whether you trust the Priest of Pelor or how you feel about a spirit running rampage in a village.

Power sources are a story element.

--

Personally, I like the Primal Power Source, especially after Primal Power. Animistic beliefs and nature spirits is a strong fantasy component that was not well represented before the Primal power source was added to the game.

It's a little funny - or strange - that it kinda is different than in some other fantasy settings, though. The "Old Faith" is traditionally linked to Druids that were getting replaced by priests believing in otherworldly powers - gods. But in the POL worlds story, the spirits of the world only entered the scene when the gods and primordials were fighting each other. Of course - times have changed, so maybe for a while the Primal spirits did gain more traction, but not being very active in recruitment or looking for worship, the gods have creeped back and risk taking over again - if not the world itself, then the hearts and minds of the people.

Rechan

Adventurer
If I may sum up Matt's point, the Power Source ultimately comes down to the issue of the Character. How they 1) might view their powers, and 2) reflect their motivations.

A Martial character gets their powers because they are good at what they do. They trained. They're likely down to earth, and their motivations are probably personal - besides their fighting prowess, their equipment, their background (he killed my father!) or their goals (be the best thief, be a general, rule a country) there's little else to go on.

Compare that to a Divine or Arcane character. You now get to add "Where does your power come from" and "How do you FEEL about that power?" They can chase bigger, or different goals. Their motivations can now be different (That magic is corrupt! My God handed down a vision to me! I need to find these esoteric tablets to learn a rare spell).

The Power Source gives you direction as to what you can ask about the character, and his motivations.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads