• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Dragonlance [+] Why do you love Dragonlance?

KirayaTiDrekan

Adventurer
Like some others have noted, I was introduced to Dragonlance via the Chronicles and Legends novels before I ever picked up a d20. Dragonlance thus influenced the way I play D&D.

Nowadays, Dragonlance is mostly a nostalgic love, in the same category as the Mentzer Red Box Basic Set.

hawkeyefan

Legend
I loved the novels and I think they are what made my group's games become much more story and character focused rather than simply playing through the published modules and home made dungeons. I think these books really came along at the right time for us, and broadened what my friends and I did with our games.

joshinminn

Explorer
Those first three novels were just so satisfying. Sure, the characters were sorta derivative. But the story was immensely enjoyable, the characters were compelling and likable, and the magic of the world stayed with many of us well into adulthood.

Sent from my SM-G935V using EN World mobile app

Minotaurs, Kender and Knights all in one world.

PLUS low magic items, great books, Dragons (really scary not fluff) and the Knights were not just Paladiny but Anti Paladiny as well. Oh and Mages paid a price for their power!

Azzy

ᚳᚣᚾᛖᚹᚢᛚᚠ
While, I never cared for running games in the setting, I loved the (original) books and was caught up in the zeitgeist of it. I loved the draconians—interesting monsters, the moons of magic, and the Knights of Solamnia.

I also love the Time of the Dragons boxed set that detailed Taladas.

hejtmane

Explorer
Following on the FR and Greyhawk threads

The [+] tag is something I'm trying. It means positive stuff in the spirit of the thread title. If you *don't* love Dragonlance, this thread is not the place to inform us. You are welcome to start your own threads!

So, why do you love Dragonlance?

Can I get some clarification are we talking the Dragon Lance Adventures etc that came out in 1e or we talking the original two trilogy book sets ? I mean for us old guys it is a legitimate question

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Can I get some clarification are we talking the Dragon Lance Adventures etc that came out in 1e or we talking the original two trilogy book sets ? I mean for us old guys it is a legitimate question

We're talking about whatever bit of it it is that you love.

Wednesday Boy

The Nerd WhoFell to Earth
I love kender. And the original trilogy really sparked my imagination as a kid. Plus while it had next to nothing to do with the War of the Lance, Dragon's Rest was one of my very favorite D&D modules.

staz100

Explorer
As many other posters have said, the Dragonlance novels were my introduction to D&D. I would never have started roleplaying if I hadn't picked up one of the novels from my high school library when I was a freshman. High school was big and terrifying. Role-playing, which I started because of the Dragonlance books, introduced me to a group of people that helped me navigate and survive that first year of being a very small fish in a very, very large pond.

Remove ads