• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Why do you play D&D?

cthulhu_duck

First Post
A friend and fellow CoC roleplayer asked last night: "Why do people play D&D?" and while I have my own reasons, I got to wondering why others do. So, if you're currently playing D&D, why?

(I recall a similar thread a while back, but a quick search didn't yield anything, hope its ok to start a new thread)

My reasons have changed over the years. In the beginning, I preferred the magic system over Chivalry & Sorcery. Later when some friends started playing Rolemaster I found that I preferred D&D because combat resolved faster. Later with the advent of White Wolf's World of Darkness and Pendragon I found it easier to import my favourite subsystems as house rules. Never really cared for GURPS as a system but liked some of their historical supplements.

Now with 3.x my motivation is primarily the OGL and d20 licenses. Secondary it's the ease at finding players although it is getting harder to find players that share my playing interests (Dark Medieval).

In summary I'd say that's it's easier to house rule D&D than it is other systems and it's easier to find D&D players.

Aaron L

Hero
To kick butt and take names.

To be an adventurer, a sword master, an archmage, and a hero or a villain.

To play a a character form out of a pulpy sword and sorcery novel, where Evil is Evil and Good means killing Evil monsters without too many questions asked.

To get to pretend to be powerful and important in the world, and shape history.

To craft an interesting character and make a history for him, and then let fate decide where he goes from there.

To craft an interesting character and make a history for him, and then have him take fate by the horns and turn it to his own ends.

Every RPG has it's own reasons and own flavor and style. CoC is a different beast, but I love it no less because of it. But when I play D&D, I am playing a different game with a different set of expectations and desire a different outcome.

kaomera

Explorer
I could not stop playing D&D (in some form or another) if I wanted to... I got hooked at an early age and it's just wedged in my brain along with Star Wars (IV to VI only, thanx), comic books, and McDonalds "food".

Nuclear Platypus

First Post
To crush my enemies, see them driven before me and hear the lamentations of their women!

Barring that, to have fun. WRT CoC, I just don't find having my character die or worse go insane all that fun. But I'm also a bit jaded towards so called 'scary' movies.

smilinggm

First Post
To kick down doors, to kill something, and to take its stuff!

Also D&D still seems to be the most poplular game in town.

I have played many other systems and I keep comming back to D&D, for these very reasons.

This is not to say that I do not like other game systems D&D has been my favorite for a long time.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads