• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Why do you play D&D?

Jhaelen

First Post
Which ones do you play when you are looking for a deeper RP experience?
My favorite system for this is Ars Magica. Especially since because of the troupe play style you get to play different characters over time, ranging from lowly grogs over companions to the magi themselves.

I also somewhat enjoy 'Das Schwarze Auge' / 'The Dark Eye' - besides it's easier to find a group playing it here in Germany. I absolutely don't like its combat system, though, it's completely unbalanced.

Then there's our Earthdawn group which is all about the roleplaying but that's not so much due to the system but the DM's preferences. He loves to confront us with difficult moral decisions.

akbearfoot

First Post
I play D&D because in real life when you kill people for their money you either go to jail or get promoted if you work for an insurance company. I don't have the fortitude to survive prison, and I'm not unscrupulous enough to sell my soul to an insurance company.

Thats as good a reason as any, right? lol

kitcik

Adventurer
D&D let's me lead an alternate "life" where I can do stuff (like totally kick the ass of someone who peeves me) that I can't do in real life. It's not only a game to play during a game session, it's something you can think about / plan / enjoy even when you're not actually gaming. How often do you sit around thinking about what you are going to do in your next game of Monopoly? It is just a world apart from non-RP games.

GreyLord

Legend
I do it for the roleplay, the imagination and creativity.

If I wanted to play a wargame, I have several dozen (actually, several hundred...but most stop counting after a few dozen), no need to play one with D&D for me.

Greg K

Legend
I like exploring a fantasy setting, developing/RPing a character, and creating (as opposed to the DM telling) stories with my friends in the game world.

Marx420

First Post
I play for the role-playing.

Seriously, as far as computer games have come in encapsulating the rules based minutiae, there's just something magical (both senses of the word) about sitting round the basement table with your chums and bull:):):):):)ting for hours on end.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads