• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Why does WotC hate Macs?

The Little Raven

First Post
mach1.9pants said:
Just IM'd a software writing friend of mine and to add Mac compat to something like this could cost in the region of 30 to 50% more. For 10% of the market place, is big money o_O

It's the same reason that multi-console games very carefully consider that approach, especially since development on one console can be completely different than others.

Kzach

Banned
Banned
breschau said:
Woo-hoo! Just like Microsoft, WotC seems to be actively preventing the Mac community from accessing their sites. Now, this is not a "I'll boycott" thread, so don't get into that. I'm just pissed that after a few months of Gleemax working on a spotty basis—or not working at all—they have simply ceased to exist for Safari users.
Works fine with my Safari.

I'd say that you either haven't updated Safari, or you have a page refreshing problem, or permissions are corrupt or you're using add-ons or you have settings in Safari that block certain data, etc.

In other words, it's bound to be something on your end and has nothing to do with Gleemax.

Having said that, there really aren't any good reasons to be going to Gleemax anyway, so not sure what you're upset about :D

Incenjucar said:
The programming community has, by and large, avoided dealing with Apple software, hence the smaller number of programs that actually work on the things without virtualization or dual-booting.

It's just the nature of the thing. MS is more open, but more hazardous, Apple is more secure and robust, but with fewer options.
Yeah... this is so not true.

Ever since the advent of OS X and Darwin, there has been an explosion of software for OS X. It's only when you start getting into niche markets like Virtual Table Top software that you start seeing any disparity between the software available for Windows and OS X.

And I hope by 'open' you don't mean source... 'cause... Darwin...

Kvantum said:
It's all about browser market share. IE 7 - 22%. IE 6 - 30%. Firefox - 37%.

Safari... 2%. (As of March 08, according to http://www.w3schools.com/browsers/browsers_stats.asp)

Hey, at least you're beating Opera! (I know, I know, cheap shot.)
Eh, I've never trusted those statistics. In some browsers there is the option to change the 'user agent' identification of the browser to some other browser.

I don't find the need for it much these days but in the past there was a lot of MS Java around that would ONLY load if the browser identified itself as IE. Now, it's important to note here that the java code would work in any browser, there was just malicious code within the application that prevented it loading on anything but IE.

My bank used this and I couldn't log in to internet banking without disguising Safari as IE.

I think it's done automatically now. At least, I think Safari does it automatically, so even now those stats are somewhat meaningless unless they bypass the user agent id.

Eldorian

First Post
Wizards doesn't hate macs in the same way I don't hate tampons. Actually, tampons are used by a larger percentage of the market, but I think the analogy holds. If, for some reason, the word tampon offends you, then substitute shower cap.

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich
It's a good thing you didn't post this to Gleemax! WotC would practically own your rant! ;)

Cheap shots aside...I don't think WotC hates macs so much as likes making a profit, and found that making things for Macs wouldn't be very profitable, and...

Wait a minute, Safari? And Gleemax?

Nevermind, I'll go elsewhere, I've got nothing but cheap shots to offer here. :D

If, for some reason, the word tampon offends you, then substitute shower cap.

I'm not a woman myself, but I'm not sure that would work? :eek:

Cam Banks

Adventurer
Clearly, WotC doesn't like Blizzard's approach.

Most of the WoW players I know are on Macs. At MWP, we work exclusively on Macs. A significant amount of the design and publishing industry work on Macs.

I would be somewhat surprised if WotC's own computer network didn't also have a bunch of Macs. If they're all done on PCs, then there's something rotten in Renton. :)

Cheers,
Cam

Eldorian

First Post
Cam Banks said:
Clearly, WotC doesn't like Blizzard's approach.

Most of the WoW players I know are on Macs. At MWP, we work exclusively on Macs. A significant amount of the design and publishing industry work on Macs.

I would be somewhat surprised if WotC's own computer network didn't also have a bunch of Macs. If they're all done on PCs, then there's something rotten in Renton. :)

Cheers,
Cam

Blizzard is WEIRD for always providing Mac support. (Weird among computer gaming companies). Just because they currently dominate the pc gaming industry doesn't mean that mac support is at all common or a good idea financially. Blizzard does lots of odd things.

Incenjucar

Legend
Kzach said:
Yeah... this is so not true.

Ever since the advent of OS X and Darwin, there has been an explosion of software for OS X. It's only when you start getting into niche markets like Virtual Table Top software that you start seeing any disparity between the software available for Windows and OS X.

Then the stores aren't bothering to stock most of it anywhere that I've been, including the apple stores. Apple is getting MORE, now that they're Lintels, but they're still playing catch up.

Thing is, there are ways to get around the compatibility problems without buying a new computer anyways.

Herodotus

First Post
I don't think that WotC hates Macs, it's just that they recognize that most gamers have PCs. That's where the games are. Now, I am typing this on a Mac and I LOVE Macs, but I can understand why they've chosen to take this path. It makes sense, given their market.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads