• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Why Doesn't the Cleric have Cat's Grace? (2002 Thread!)

Greylock

First Post
Because my char is a Cleric, he's preordained to run about in heavy armor, swinging a mace, and converting heathens? I don't think so. *sighs* My last char was a fighter on a horse, and EVERYone tried to force me to make him a knight.

How boring.

My char prefers to use his longspear, even though his attack bonus with it is +3, and rarely uses his bow (attack bonus +7). I don't like to play uber chars. But two of the other players in the group do, and I was thinking about pulling out all the stops next session, and let them see what my char can do when I don't purposefully handicap him. Guess I'll have to get by without Cat's Grace.

And nope, I doubt if my DM will allow him to research a new spell. And there is no way he would allow an extra domain. He is pretty tight-fisted about domains as it is (homebrew setting).

frankthedm

First Post
Greylock said:
And nope, I doubt if my DM will allow him to research a new spell. And there is no way he would allow an extra domain. He is pretty tight-fisted about domains as it is (homebrew setting).

My condolences to you on having a DM so stuck in "Must Follow the written rules" mentality, he forgets customising characters is included in the PHB. I have seen some who would not even allow the thuggish fighter the PHB suggested...so sad. :(

azhrei_fje

First Post
Greylock said:
My char prefers to use his longspear, even though his attack bonus with it is +3, and rarely uses his bow (attack bonus +7).
Greylock, you sound like a great player. :) While I appreciate the challenge of building a powerful character, I also appreciate the challenge of ROLE-PLAYING a CHALLENGED character even more. ;)

frankthedm said:
My condolences to you on having a DM so stuck in "Must Follow the written rules" mentality, he forgets customising characters is included in the PHB. I have seen some who would not even allow the thuggish fighter the PHB suggested...so sad.
Now, now. Don't disparage a DM who is afraid to unbalance the game by allowing the players to push them in a direction they don't want to go.

I'm running a RttToEE game right now and while I've house-ruled a few things (like Andy Collins' take on raising the dead, birthday wishes, and more), I prefer the RAW for simplicity's sake. I have the RSRD in DMGenie, all ready to look up spells, and a copy of Sovelior's RSRD so that I can find general rules just as fast. The last thing I want is to be forced into using paperbound books, which would only slow me down about 10-to-1.

My attitude is that we're playing a game to have fun. Trying to add all kinds of rule extensions is like changing baseball or football. There are those who would love to spice up a sports game, but others would see it as a travesty and would prefer the "pure" version. Live and let live. :)

In order to contribute to the original topic... As DM, I would allow the cleric to have cat's grace. It seems more like an oversight to me than a design choice. As a player, I would suggest you mention it to your DM and point out as succinctly as possible why you think it should be on their spell list. Do so without any expectation of the DM changing their mind and they probably will. :)

Greylock

First Post
frankthedm said:
My condolences to you on having a DM so stuck in "Must Follow the written rules" mentality, he forgets customising characters is included in the PHB. I have seen some who would not even allow the thuggish fighter the PHB suggested...so sad. :(

You misunderstand me. My DM is an excellent DM. I have played with him for over twenty years. But ths is a homebrew, and the deities have very specific and small portfolios. Maybe half of all the standard domains are included.

And he does allow customisation. My char has had a good part of UA tossed at him, and the DM crafted a magic item that reflects the char, and was created with him in mind (Think WoL, but my DM was way ahead of the book). Where my DM is a real stickler is in verissimiltude, and I agree with his sentiment. My char is off galavanting in the wilderness, with nothing resembling an inhabited city or even an outpost within a hundred leagues. Much less a library, temple or lab where my guy can experiment or research new spells.

Feldspar

Explorer
nwn_deadman said:
The Cleric has ALL OTHER buff spells such as Endurance and Owl's Wisdom. WHY don't they get Cat's Grace as well?
Say what?
bret said:
Actually, I think it is a better question why Clerics do get Fox's Cunning (Int boost).
They do? Did I miss an errata? I didn't think Clerics got Fox's Cunning ...

Anyway, the solution is simple - work with your DM to figure out which four buff spells make sense for clerics of a given god based on that gods portfolio and personality. For example, Bull's Strength, Cat's Grace and Bear's Endurance have to be on the list for clerics of Tempus with Fox's Cunning being the first one dropped. On the other hand, a cleric of the Red Knight, while still following a deity of war, would definately have Fox's Cunning and Eagle's Splendor to align with the Red Knight's focus on leadership and tactics.

Drowbane

First Post
I think the better question might be: Why don't D&D Spellcasters just get "Animal Affinity" and choose which stat they wish to buff when they cast it? Is it because Bruce Cordell thought of it first for Psionics?

I guess that is what House Rules are for... fixing the oversights of the Creators :p

Feldspar

Explorer
Drowbane said:
I think the better question might be: Why don't D&D Spellcasters just get "Animal Affinity" and choose which stat they wish to buff when they cast it? Is it because Bruce Cordell thought of it first for Psionics?

I guess that is what House Rules are for... fixing the oversights of the Creators :p

Please explain the rationale behind limiting a Wizard this way? Its completely antithetical to the way their magic works (i.e. as many spells in their little spell books as they can get their grubby hands on). "Boy, I'd love to learn Fox's Cunning but I already have Cat's Grace in my spellbook. Rats!"

As for Sorc's and Bards, the limit they have on spells known is perfectly fine as a limitating factor.

Thanee

First Post
DevoutlyApathetic said:
Better question....why don't Druids get any of the buff spells named after animals? The whole physical buffs I can live without, they already get alot of physical abilities. The fact they're the only primary spellcasters who don't get to buff thier casting attribute is really annoying...

They have noticed this lack and addressed it in 3.5:

Owl’s Wisdom
Transmutation
Level: Clr 2, Drd 2, Pal 2, Rgr 2, Sor/Wiz 2

Bye
Thanee

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads