• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Why don't Arcane Tricksters get access to Bigby's Hand?

A background may cover sneaky but it does not Cover a nimble skillfull fighter that strikes at vitals uses their speed to avoid the brunt of attacks or the best hit and run ability in game.

No, but if what you're after is that nimble skillful fighter with all of those capabilities, it sounds like you're less invested in being able to cast Bigby's Hand as well as all of that.

Ahglock

First Post
A background may cover sneaky but it does not Cover a nimble skillfull fighter that strikes at vitals uses their speed to avoid the brunt of attacks or the best hit and run ability in game.

Then play a rogue or potentially a dex based battle master fighter. Like I said there is nothing wrong with the rogue class but unlike other classes one of the primary conceptual frameworks in fantasy sneaky dude doesn't have much to do with the rogue. They get a couple perks at it but sneaky is covered by skills. There are character ideas that the rogue class works for and is the best fit for. But I find that some people gravitate to the class because of the imagery of thief and not specific class features like evasion and sneak attack. When they really wanted fighter who could sneak and pick locks and in the case of the title they may really want wizard who can sneak or perhaps just a dip into rogue so they can use mage hand with thief skills.

It's the only class I can think of where it's probably most iconic feature or concept is pretty much handled by a background. If I take a soldier background I'm not suddenly a effective fighter if I take acolyte I'm not a effective healer. But if I take criminal I'm actually a pretty good rogue or thief. So unless your character concept is actually tied to class features like sneak attack it might not be the right fit. I don't think it's a obvious thing so I check with my players first about what they are going for.

Saeviomagy

Adventurer
Bards are always stealing secrets, once they won a case where Tasha, Otto, Leomund, and Mordenkainen had trouble establishing copyright, they added those spells to the general bard list.

It's a well known fact that sorcerers have self-esteem issues and so like to take the spells of wizards and show them how they can cast them better in the hopes of some small glimmer of approval.

Everyone knows that Tasha and Evard came up with their spells after watching an Old One who once met them and went "Hey, look what I can do!"

Eldritch knights and arcane tricksters are part of the wizard club so they're allowed to have access. They're like miniature wizards who don't have the focus to prepare spells and instead have to focus on a small handful of spells.

Melf let acid arrow to swamp druids after they lamented the lack of an appropriate spell of second level. He's still collecting royalties.

I always figured that the arcane spells which consume expensive material components actually teleport those components to a vault somewhere. Someone somewhere has a ton of gold dust from all those arcane locks.

And the gods must have piles and piles of diamonds...

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads