• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Why don't Elves have any Kings?

Aelryinth

Explorer
because Elven Kings tend to go out and fight the evil baddies threatening their kingdoms, grow extremely popular with the masses, and die.

Because Elven Queens send out valiant knights out to fight the evil baddies threatening the kingdoms, get themselves covered in glory when the knights win her victory, praises their brave sacrifices when they die, and all the while keeps her thumb squarely on the political heart of the kingdom to maintain and increase her firm grip on power.
So, of course Elven Queens are everywhere...they live longer.

However, notice the greatest elven monarch of the Realms is NOT the Queen of Evermeet...it was the Elven King/Coronal who opened Myth Drannor to all . As the greatest Elven Kingdom (as opposed to this little island realm designed for elves to run and hide to), he was Numero Uno in my book.

And when he left, of course, things went downhill. Makes you wonder how you can have such a wise and noble ruler who is such a total idiot about successions. Which, of course, is all Amlaruil's problem...she doesn't have a successor either.

==Aelryinth

Paragon

Wielder of the Power Cosmic
Tolkien had many elven kings. I believe more kings than queens but I haven't sat down and counted. Thingol, Finwe, Feanor, Gil-Galad, many more that's just off the top of my head.

Down with elven matriarchy!!!!

Dark Jezter

First Post
In FR, the Evermeet elves were ruled by a king and a queen until the king was assassinated inside the walls of his own palace. Now they just have a queen.

jasper

Rotten DM
It seems traditional fantasy paints the elven culture at matronly. Take a look at the elven books WotC and TSR put out. You'll notice a much larger amount of "she" pronouns used in reference to the elves.
Maybe for wotc and tsr but i have read books where they like the nobles before king john , nobles before king henry, merit, power house, highest mage dicator, etc.

Monster Manuel

First Post
jasper said:
It seems traditional fantasy paints the elven culture at matronly. Take a look at the elven books WotC and TSR put out. You'll notice a much larger amount of "she" pronouns used in reference to the elves.
Maybe for wotc and tsr but i have read books where they like the nobles before king john , nobles before king henry, merit, power house, highest mage dicator, etc.
In Morningstar at least, it is true that the Empress represents a nod towards the traditional 'fairy queen'. However, there are forces at work that will become apparent in the near future. An Empress fits that piece of the puzzle.

LuYangShih

First Post
mooby said:
it;s because elves are so damned chaotic, they can't follow any freakin' rules.

That is a really sexist position to take. Sure, one could argue that Chaotic creatures are more emotional, delicate, effeminate creatures and cannot live the structured, manly lives of Lawful folk. That Chaotic creatures naturally tend towards female leaders, who are familar with the radical mood shifts they constantly suffer. One could even argue pregnancy enhances the leadership qualities of Elven females. But, I think we need to move past the horrible stereotyping so prevalent among RPG players and products, and realize gender never has any effect on the personality of characters or cultures. Oh, and we should dress the next Elven Queen in a three piece suit rather than a gauzy see through dress. Who's with me?!

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads