Why don't you get a +1 ability score per level?

Paraxis

Explorer
Instead of +1 to three different ability scores at 4th, 7th, and 10th level, why not just say at every level you can increase an ability score by +1 and can not increase the same ability until you advance to 4th, 7th, or 10th level? It works out basically the same but dishes out the advancement more often.

So at 2nd level you gain a +1 to Strength, you can't take another bonus to strength until you are 4th level.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
You could do that. I don't see that one way is better than the other, though - as you say, it works out the same. So, yeah, sure - I don't think +1 to an ability score two levels early will notably affect game balance in any way. Makes you a tiny bit more powerful a couple of levels earlier than normal, but not by any significant amount.

My guess as to why it is the way it is is that it's slightly simpler and needs less tracking. Hardly an arduous task, admittedly.

frankthedm

First Post
OP has gotta ask? :lol: Because players would keep "forgetting" that they already raised the score they want to max out.

The OP's suggestion is already letting someone up their strength by two points long before 7th.

Plus Power Up Plateaus are easier to track and account for in Challenge Ratings than Free Form Power Ups that might show up whenever.

How tight is the default point buy and does the game have ability score based 'feat prerequisite'? It is an important way designers can fight dump stats. Short change a stat and one misses valuable feats when they could be most useful. If there was one thing 4E did right, it was PHB feats had requirements to make stat dumping painful. Sadly that was chucked out the window when the supplements got shoveled out there.

keterys

First Post
The +1s are currently at the capstones for "tier", I believe, so it's also a reward for making your way to the top (of your tier) before the game changes (some).

jasper

Rotten DM
Considering how hard it was for people to keep up with the specific number of hitpts they received per level, I can see people "forgetting" or failing to keep good notes on what ability was increase. Or dm grammar lawyers could pop up.
Ex. Morrus I thought you too a +1 to Str at second level. No? then how is your str at 20? Or
Morrus the rules state your 1/2 elf kinder of Mayberry from splat book xyz, got a +1 to dex when created him. that your +1 to dex until you hit fourth.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Wouldn't a minimal amount of bookkeeping solve this problem?
I guess it depends on how you like to handle things.

Do you realize how many things in the game can be solved with a "minimal amount of bookkeeping"? Now, solve all of them, and what do you get? A whole lot of bookkeeping!

Sure, for any particular single issue, the bookkeeping isn't a major burden. So, for your game at home, go ahead. But as a policy for designers, reducing bookkeeping by shaving here or there makes sense.

Paraxis

Explorer
Glad some people like the idea.

As far as book keeping goes, it is just one more box to check off as you go up in level, the players are already doing that. You can just use the box they have for the normal gain at 4,7, and 10.

Ahnehnois

First Post
Besides the bookkeeping of saying "you can't take another Str bonus for 3 levels", you could also set a cap for ability scores to discourage pumping one indefinitely.

Or you could simply let people go crazy and see what happens. If someone pumps their strength constantly, the deficiencies in other areas should be noticeable. It's possible (not a given, but possible) that the restriction isn't needed.

Remove ads