• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Why Dragonborn fighters should have low Con

interwyrm

First Post
I've been seeing people post all the time that dragonborn need a high con to make effective use of the breath weapon.

I'd like to pose a different way of looking at the problem.

Take your dragonborn fighter. If you maximize his strength, that stat will be used for the attack roll for the breath weapon. If minions are the target, then the damage roll is irrelevant.

In fact, if several minions are engaged with the party, and the dragonborn has the opportunity to use the breath weapon but will also catch party members in the blast, a low constitution will be a bonus - less collateral damage.

Blackbrrd

First Post
Besides if you have high str and con, you will have low reflex/will defenses because you won't have enough stat points to buy dex/int/wis/cha.

Accersitus

First Post
But then con also gives Dragonborn a bonus on their healing surges,
and healing more on each healing surge is also nice for a fighter.

Drakhar

First Post
Why in the name of all that is holy is a Dragonborn Fighter using Con as it's stat choice for its breath weapon? Also NO Dragonborn should want low con as they get to add their con modifier to their Healing Surge Value

Mengu

First Post
Fighter = Defender. Defender + Low Con? Does not compute.

Now a Dragonborn Warlord, Cleric, or Rogue with low con, I'd be all right with.

Sir Brennen

Legend
Your argument is based on how effective the breath weapon is vs. minions?

By that logic, Wizards should have a low Int, because the damage it adds to their powers is wasted on minions...

Last edited:

Cadfan

First Post
1. There are more than just minions in 4e.
2. Its easy for a dragonborn fighter to afford an 18 strength and a 14 con, all at once.
3. Con does more for a dragonborn than just improve his breath weapon.

interwyrm

First Post
Ok, I was a little too aggressive in my statement. I do think that con is not *necessary* for the dragonborn fighter - especially if the player wants to choose other options requiring a higher wisdom/dex etc.

rkanodia

First Post
Sir Brennen said:
Your argument is based on how effective the breath weapon is vs. minions?

By that logic, Wizards should have a low Int, because the damage it adds to their powers is wasted on minions...
Except that a Wizard needs Int to hit with the power in the first place. Dragonborn Fighters can pick Strength as the attack stat for their breath weapons.

xAndurilx

First Post
I agree with the OP.

While Con is cool to have, I think its more of a trap for fighters then anything. Id rather maxout my strength for the hit/damage, and get a high wisdom for more damage output/cool effects.

...after all, once the minions are down, raw damage might be better then HP - the foes will be dropped quicker. :)

Also, Dragonborne get a +1 to attack and can get +2 damage when bloodied, so in this case, lower HP is not necessarily a bad thing...

Remove ads