• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Why Dragonborn fighters should have low Con

Drakhar

First Post
xAndurilx said:
I agree with the OP.

While Con is cool to have, I think its more of a trap for fighters then anything. Id rather maxout my strength for the hit/damage, and get a high wisdom for more damage output/cool effects.

...after all, once the minions are down, raw damage might be better then HP - the foes will be dropped quicker. :)

Also, Dragonborne get a +1 to attack and can get +2 damage when bloodied, so in this case, lower HP is not necessarily a bad thing...

Once again. Use. Strength. For. Fighter. Breath Weapons. As for the +1 to attack, +2 Damage when bloodied, lower HP means a lower Bloodied amount as well, Which leads to you being dead much sooner. On the other hand, having higher HP means you can sit around in bloodied for longer, leading to you gaining more benefit from the +1 attack and +2 damage.

Drakhar

First Post
Damage is besides the point. Concidering that the single most common use people are seeming to want to use it as is a minion clearer, using Strength, which leads to a better bonus to your attack rolls with it, is much better then using Con.

markl

First Post
xAndurilx said:
I agree with the OP.

While Con is cool to have, I think its more of a trap for fighters then anything. Id rather maxout my strength for the hit/damage, and get a high wisdom for more damage output/cool effects.

...after all, once the minions are down, raw damage might be better then HP - the foes will be dropped quicker. :)

If you're the fighter, doing damage is someone else's job. I'd look at survivabilty first, then damage - which means getting a decent Con score. Especially for Dragonborn, with their extra benefits. And especially for Fighters, with all those Reliable Daily powers.

(edit: not suggesting Con helps with powers, but that maximising Str is not so critical)

ascendance

First Post
Remember, while you can use Str. to hit, you always add Con to damage.

A 14 Con is quite decent for a Dragonborn. My Dragonborn fighter looks like this: Str 18 Dex 14 Con 14 Int 8 Wis 12 Cha 13. It's a nice, well-rounded statline, and I could easily choose any of the weapons to specialize in. Right now I have a hammer, but I really don't have to make a firm choice until level 4, when I can stick my other +1 in either Dex or Con.

Sitara

Explorer
Anguirus said:
You. Don't. Get. To. Add. Strength. To. Damage. For. Breath Weapons.

Ever.

Umm, sure you do. :)

Dragonborn paladin's can use Channel Divinity: Divine Strength to add their STR bonus to breath weapon damage.

i said it before and I will say it again, Dborn's were made to be paladins.

Ulthwithian

First Post
The other use of a Dragonborn's breath weapon is (as a Fighter) to mark everyone attacked by it. Damage (even hitting) is not important to that.

Having said that, I'd look askance at any Fighter that did not have at least a 14 Con.

Sitara

Explorer
Well for roleplaying reasons anything can go. I mean you could have a really sickly fighter, (with an 8 in con) and the player could be having a blast playing him.

ccmage

First Post
i like to have my high con dragonborn fighter multiclass warlock (infernal pact). u get some extra temp hp with it. and also u will get "Armor of Agathys" and "Shroud of Black Steel", this is something u dont wanna pass as a fighter.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads