• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Why exactly 1st level kobolds are scary (Smackdown)

Antikinesis

First Post
reapersaurus said:
But it takes a day to make each scroll.... :(
But a scroll can contain up to 6 spells. (DMG, as I recall... feel free to correct me.) To scribe six level 0 and 1 spells on a scroll, I doubt you'll exceed the 1,000-gold cost requirement for creating it in a single day. (IMC, the creation cost of scribing a multiple-spell scroll is the sum of the costs for making the individual scrolls. I don't recall this being addressed directly in the rule books.)

-AK

James McMurray

First Post
DMG: pg 203-204 random generation. You roll to determine how many spells are on a scroll. A major scroll can have 1d6 spells on it. Even so, it never says the maximum number of spells you can put is 6, that's just where the table for randomly found ones top out. I personally would allow a charaacter to put as many on them as he wanted. It would only be useful when making low-level scrool, as it would mena you could cram more work into a single day.

Jack Haggerty

First Post
reapersaurus said:
But it takes a day to make each scroll.... :(

Where is that? I don't recall that from the rulebooks...

According to the SRD:
The character needs a supply of choice writing materials, the cost of which is subsumed in the cost for scribing the scroll - 12.5 gp per level of the spell times the level of the caster. All writing implements and materials used to scribe a scroll must be fresh and unused. The character must pay the full cost for scribing each spell scroll no matter how many times she previously has scribed the same spell.

The creator must have prepared the spell to be scribed (or must know the spell, in the case of a sorcerer or bard) and must provide any material components or focuses the spell requires. If casting the spell would reduce the caster’s XP total, she pays the cost upon beginning the scroll in addition to the XP cost for making the scroll itself. Likewise, material components are consumed when she begins writing, but focuses are not. (A focus used in scribing a scroll can be reused.) The act of writing triggers the prepared spell,
making it unavailable for casting until the character has rested and regained spells. (That is, that spell slot is expended from her currently prepared spells, just as if it had been cast.)

Scribing a scroll requires one day per each 1,000 gp value of the completed scroll.

Item Creation Feat Required: Scribe Scroll.

So, as long as you have the spell slots (and you can prepare lower level spells into higher level slots), you should be able to scribe as many scrolls as you want, so long as you don't exceed the 1000 gp/day limit.

Xeriar

First Post
Re: scrolls

jgbrowning said:
Problem with scrolls is that they burn. Item saving throws are very important.

If they're made out of untreated, dry paper, sure.

Generally, I don't insult the intelligence of my wizard players to assume that their scrolls could catch fire in the event of a fireball or similar spell.

---

A lot of people tried to burn the Library of Alexandria down. They failed because the place was wisely kept quite moist.

Junebug

First Post
Jack Haggerty said:

Where is that? I don't recall that from the rulebooks...

According to the SRD:

So, as long as you have the spell slots (and you can prepare lower level spells into higher level slots), you should be able to scribe as many scrolls as you want, so long as you don't exceed the 1000 gp/day limit.

Jack H., as I recall, there is a 1 day minimum for item (in this case, scroll) creation. The 1000 gp/day limit means that items >1000 gp take additional days to create, but any item takes at least 1 day.

Remove ads