• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E why i am now boycotting wotc and dnd next

Status
Not open for further replies.

JeffB

Legend
Interwebz Rage and Boycotting THE MAN.

Excellent new concept. Let me know how your gramaphone is working out.

I agree with @super pony that you should e-mail the support to clarify which post got you suspended and clarify your intent as supportive. It's quite possibly just someone mistaking your tone (or it was a different post than the one you're thinking of).

Boycotting WotC is also a bit of an overreaction. The forums are a pretty small part of the company and the moderates are likely autonomous and very low down on the totem pole, if not volunteers.
The forums there are a pretty darn horrid place full of bickering and edition warring. They might not always read posts as much as they should after someone reports a post.

Gorgoroth

Banned
Banned
As much as I've loathed Wotc in the past, I wouldn't expect anything else than getting banned if I pulled a move like that, it's normal they wouldn't want their own website used to injure their sales. Make your own website, then you can rant and rave all you want. If something bothers me enough to rant about it, I will, and I'll take the banishment, thank you. Sometimes you gotta speak your mind. The fact that they banned you at least means they read what you had to say, rather than ignore you. When I played 4e, it always felt like Wotc ignored their own forums and read Enworld much more anyway. It's full of 4vengers there, I can't stand the place. I do post once in a while in the Next feedback, because I want to throw in my 2cp and it's obvious they actually are paying attention to what we say.

That said, the whole DDI fiasco and the OCB / CB Loader thing ...they are essentially killing 4e by shutting those fan sites down, and it's poor form. I'd set up a server in a country with reasonable copyright laws and post my fan-work there. Information wants to be free, and the internet interprets censorship (and lawsuits), as damage and routes around it. I don't like bullies, if I want to make patches to OCB to support custom rules whereas their kludgy online builder doesn't support it (or worse, they shut it down entirely and put 4e to pasture for good), I will. I already paid for the books, I own them. I also already paid for the OCB, and their grubby little paws have no business telling me I have to remove it, since they stopped upgrading it, they forced half the 4e fanbase to go to illegal means to keep using it, and especially once 4e is completely unsupportd OCB will be the only game in town. So I say, screw greedy corporations, you already paid for the tools and support you have, don't let them take it away, but don't expect them to let you use their website as a forum to rail against them. Just make another account if you wish to keep posting there, duh.

Shemeska

Adventurer
First post here, complaining about WotC forum moderation.

Why does this sound familiar to the whole 'WotC must have been hacked that's why I got forum banned over there' posts from another poster two times in recent memory. Hmm.

Also, say what you want about it, or the forum culture on the WotC boards currently, but the moderation over there now is a million times better than during the Gleemax/early 4e period.

Gorgoroth

Banned
Banned
Interwebz Rage and Boycotting THE MAN.

Excellent new concept. Let me know how your gramaphone is working out.

Let me know how apathy regarding the utility of internet activism is working out. Boycotts work, sometimes. Ever hear of a little place called South Africa? It collapsed entirely because of boycotts.

The list of things internet activism has accomplished in the past two years alone is staggering. Bad PR is something all companies should worry about. Apple just apologized to China, marriage equality is happening now, all sorts of good things are happening because of the internet. Mocking it in general only makes you seem foolish and apathetic, frankly. While I also think this person's issues are silly and of no consequence, I think what's even of littler consequence is the opinion of those who mock activism and boycotting. They work and they make the world a better place. Corporations are NOT your friends, they are generally vile bullies and need to be kept in check.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Let me know how apathy regarding the utility of internet activism is working out. Boycotts work, sometimes. Ever hear of a little place called South Africa? It collapsed entirely because of boycotts.

Yeah, but you see, what was happening in South Africa actually *mattered*. Real people were suffering real harm.

This is, "Join me in my anger over *my* being treated in ways other than I wanted on a message forum about pretending to be elves!"

Really, dude, no comparison.

stoloc

First Post
Mike was a troll on the wotc forums. The only effect him boycotting them will have is that they will possibly have a higher standard of courtesy and respect with him gone.

Nellisir

Hero
Sounds to me like WotC is boycotting you, not the other way round.

I wouldn't let you use EN World to arrange a boycott of EN World, either. If that's what you require from a forum, here ain't your place either. And I don't imagine Paizo or anywhere else is - if your goal is a forum that will provide you with the means to organise a boycott of itself, you maybe be in for a long search. Good luck!

I dunno, I could probably be talking into setting up a free forum that he could not show up to.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Yeah, but you see, what was happening in South Africa actually *mattered*. Real people were suffering real harm.

This is, "Join me in my anger over *my* being treated in ways other than I wanted on a message forum about pretending to be elves!"

Really, dude, no comparison.
:D

Thank you for that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads