• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Why I like 4th edition

LeStryfe79

First Post
In in effort to atone for my previous post (Why I don't like 4th edition), I've decided to start a thread detailing the things I like about the current dnd. I'll admit it was my first post, so maybe I was being too idealistic. I accidentally started a supposed "Edition War", and thus the thread was locked. Also I couldn't help but notice that the non edition war sticky specified "a month". Since it is now July first, I didn't think that applied, but perhaps it was intended as a thirty day truce. Okay.

Anyway, my issues with the current edition in no way praised the previous editions as a superior game system. That said, I feel several improvements were made by Wizards. For one thing, I think multi-classing is much better. I don't think it's good, but at least it isn't broken. I mean, once enough books get released, I'm sure multi-classing feats will allow people to play virtually anything, without having to sacrifice core concepts of their original class. After all, we've all seen how cool the Rogue/Ranger/Shadow Assassin/Deadly Trickster can be. :lol:

I'd also like to praise James Wyatt. The DMG is the crown Jewell of 4th edition. It's no coincidence that this book relies on less mechanical crunch, as I'm sure good DM'ing is less reliant on splat books and other frivolous purchases. It seems James was free to write the best book he could without having to give much thought to the business side of things. Good Job. Sure, the skill challenges may be questionable, but I like the direction they try to take. Personally I prefer a more organic take on skill usage, but what're ya gonna do? Obviously a great deal of effort was taken to actually teach this side of the game.

The Monster Manual is also decent. As I feel streamlining the encounters to be an avid goal. I think it's easier to add fluff than crunch, so I think this book also did a good job. This decision plays more in line with the strengths of old dnd. In other words, it's a lot easier to run an adventure half-@$"#&. This is probably good, since that's how most DM's think (obviously not the DM's here). I actually like the templates in 4th, I think they're good enough. Not sure about the GSL not allowing pg # reference, but oh well. At least this keeps rewritten MM's a little more honest.

I like the fact that character's have more in-game options. 3rd, along with Skills and Powers 2nd edition, allowed for a great variety of character designs. But, this didn't always transfer into game play options. Many times these options gave way to strange combos, ultimately providing insane modifiers. Last time I checked, adding higher modifiers doesn't always add more interesting choices. This is the same for # of attacks. Obviously this problem was successfully addressed in 4th edition.

Other things in 4th edition I like include toning down magic items, adding rituals, and simplifying skills. I like some aspects of the action point, and can't wait to see what action feats they add down the road. I'm sure such knowledge would be worth a portion of my paycheck. It will also be great when dnd insider is completely functional....

Lastly I'd like to add that I enjoy the IDEA of a new edition. It doesn't matter how many critics it has, because new things are usually exciting regardless. Sales are up, people are talking, and the general interest and exposure to our hobby has temporarily increased. I think it's a Great time to be a hobbyist and can't wait to see what the future holds. :D

Hopefully, my attempts at atonement won't spark another war, as that is the last thing I care about. :cool:

Festivus

First Post
Sigh. Yep, I'll be going on ENWorld vacation I think until these edition war type posts go away (if ever). Seems to be way to much of it going on.

Guys, it's ok to like your particular edition of a game. I like them both. I love 3.5 low level play. I love 4E low level play. I haven't seen 4e at high level so I won't speculate... but I do intend to try it. I do not like 3.5 high level play, I'll not be DMing high level 3.5 much longer, and when I am done, I'll be playing as a player... probably high level 3.5. I am fine with it.

Both games are great. Both games get friends around the table to play, drink soda/beer and popcorn, chat about nerdy movies and have a good time.

Sit down, relax, roll some dice and have some human contact.

Remove ads