• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Pathfinder 1E Why I play pathfinder

Status
Not open for further replies.

brewdus

Banned
Banned
There are, like, three things wrong with this sentence. First, you totally dismiss concerns with the system that actual people had and that the designers agreed with. Second, you assume that anyone who didn't see the problems with grappling or wizards must have felt crapped on. And, third, (and most egregious) you came to the conclusion that system mastery determined whether or not someone felt slighted by WotC's marketing. Really?

People felt crapped on because they were on the lookout for new and exciting reasons to be upset with WotC. Whether or not they had good reasons to be upset didn't matter at all to them.

Okay, so not everyone felt crapped on (which I never said), but many people did, and that's my point. I myself was happy with the things Wizards was doing with 3e, and it seemed it had several more years of life when out of the blue, a new edition! After them saying there was no new edition in the works! IMO, that was bad marketing! Plus the fiasco of the SRD and some of the DDI stuff (no virtual tabletop, etc.).

beepeearr

First Post
Hmm, I think your taking this way too seriously, one they were books that he owned, if he wants to burn them that's his prerogative, its not like he went into the streets with a bull horn trying to incite others to do the same, or forcibly taking other peoples books to burn. They were his to do whatever he wanted with them.

Secondly, think of it as he just ended a relationship with someone he had been with for a long time, he felt betrayed and to vent he burned her pictures (ie the books).

ProfessorCirno

Banned
Banned
Hmm, I think your taking this way too seriously, one they were books that he owned, if he wants to burn them that's his prerogative, its not like he went into the streets with a bull horn trying to incite others to do the same, or forcibly taking other peoples books to burn. They were his to do whatever he wanted with them.

Certainly it's his prerogative, but when he posts about it online he is asking others to comment, and comments such as "Uhhhh that's a bit overboard, I mean burning the books? Come on, that's more then a bit much."

Secondly, think of it as he just ended a relationship with someone he had been with for a long time, he felt betrayed and to vent he burned her pictures (ie the books).

If someone has the same emotional overload from a new edition coming out as they do with the end of a long romantic relationship, there's an issue.

McKreagon

First Post
I would not call any of us monsters. just fed up gamers who got tired of a empty promise. They said that 4th was going to be the game of all games and about how much it was better than 3rd. Heck they even told stores that if they wanted to sell 4th edition that could not sell any 3rd or 3.5. Now thats like taking a crapper on all gamers who enjoy 3rd and the rest. When third came out you could still find the second edition in stores at first it died out cause they did not print it anymore. When 4th came out they made 3.5 and 3rd take a hike.

brewdus

Banned
Banned
I would not call any of us monsters. just fed up gamers who got tired of a empty promise. They said that 4th was going to be the game of all games and about how much it was better than 3rd. Heck they even told stores that if they wanted to sell 4th edition that could not sell any 3rd or 3.5. Now thats like taking a crapper on all gamers who enjoy 3rd and the rest. When third came out you could still find the second edition in stores at first it died out cause they did not print it anymore. When 4th came out they made 3.5 and 3rd take a hike.
Thank you! My point exactly!

Dingo333

First Post
I did feel that WotC had taken DnD and turning it on its head.

1 time I played, I said, alright, my basic attack ... and the guy across the table leapt down my throat saying why in the world would you basic attack? you have a dozen at wills and like 5 encounters!! I was going What? if I wanted to let lose a fire ball I would go get a mage and cast fireball. Game play then stopped as the guy proceeded to explain how, long story short, everyone casts fireball in different forms now, and that using a basic attack is pointless when you can cast fireball instead. This makes sense on a SPELL CASTING PERSON, but the paladin I was playing I didn't think of as a caster. The "at will" was something like blade storm (been a while so digging out suppressed memories, sorry on exact details). Then the caster in the group unleashed his 1 daily, and was like, wow, the pally did triple my damage with his at will...... And kinda sat there disappointed that he was outclassed and couldn't keep anywhere near the same dps.

I am now playing Heros system, and looking back it is kinda 4e using different dice rules. For example, the "monk" who tossed air balls at us, never actually punching or using martial arts, the "fighter" who drained our stats with a spell and the "barbarian" who healed us of that drain.

When I found pathfinder, I was quite happy with it. I hadn't gotten to play dnd for almost a year (when I played 4e) and was much happier with it then when I had played 4e (again after not being able to play for a year prior to that). Yes there were still problems, a 20 level fighter still gets pwned by 20 level wizard, but the fighter stays with the wizard for longer, without needing "spells" to make up the difference.

Dannager

First Post
Okay, so not everyone felt crapped on (which I never said), but many people did, and that's my point.

Right. And why? Marketing? I don't think so. I think there were some really interesting reasons for why people insisted that WotC was crapping on them/3e/D&D during the release when none of that was actually the case.

Dannager

First Post

When people have the same reaction to a board game they like getting a rules facelift to losing a love, I think there are some real serious concerns that should raise about the individual.

McKreagon

First Post
us gamers can still look back with a smile on our face and say remember when there was Thaco ahh yes Thaco I do love Thaco and then he look to the future at 4th and we just cry as one the system is mutating into a thing of horriblenss. What would MR gygox say if he saw what wizards did to his system????

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads