• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Why I Think D&DN is In Trouble

Nareth

First Post
Also, I don't mind the Sundering with what it is doing. Resetting the Realms is something that seems to happen from time to time, regardless of edition changes. The story has been interesting, and the implications for my own personal campaign have kept me reading and paying attention. I will say though, that I'm really hoping for a Greyhawk relaunch, with an updated timeline. That would be something I am very willing to throw money at.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
I'm basing this on the implication Salvatore and others have made of a major "fix" or timeline reboot.

You're probably thinking about Tyranny of the Dragons. The Sundering is indeed a world-shacking event. And a fabulous one, it seems, if it really ends with Realms that are basically pre-4E Realms.

Cheers,

Ah right, sorry about that. I was indeed thinking of Tyranny of the Dragons.

XunValdorl_of_Kilsek

Banned
Banned
Gah. No matter how much press, how much buzz, how much effort they put out, there is a significant portion of the gaming community who will always, always, always hate metaplot being forced on them and will always, always, always feel as though that is exactly what's happening with something like this.

Speaking as a member of that group, the whole Sundering thing should not be more popular; it's YET ANOTHER campaign-world-shaking event to mark an edition change, and I think it is less about being a popular event and more about letting people have what they want out the FR products we'll see for 5e. In other words, the Sundering is more about promoting later products than about selling itself.

All the Sundering is is a big "sorry we F&^ked up" attempt to fix what 4th edition D&D did to the Realms. People fled the scene like a grenade was tossed into a crowd and now they are trying to bring these people back in. From what I've heard, Ed Greenwood is back at the helm. Even so, the people over at Candlekeep are basically at the "wait and see what happens" stage and if it doesn't come through this time, then I believe most will just use older edition material.

CptPhoenix

Explorer
Well, I really do hope DnD Next brings in new blood to the hobby, because that's always a good thing. One of my buddies got started with DnD 4e and now has played all sorts of RPGs.

If Next offers me a way to bring more friends to the table I'll be happy (a beginners box or starter kit type thing). I'm also hoping we see a good line of miniatures, possibly smaller booster packs that integrate with Dungeon Command and the D&D Adventure System.

Lastly,WoC has done a really good thing with DnDClassics.com, it's a real step in the right direction for them.

Lokiare

Banned
Banned
Well, I really do hope DnD Next brings in new blood to the hobby, because that's always a good thing. One of my buddies got started with DnD 4e and now has played all sorts of RPGs.

If Next offers me a way to bring more friends to the table I'll be happy (a beginners box or starter kit type thing). I'm also hoping we see a good line of miniatures, possibly smaller booster packs that integrate with Dungeon Command and the D&D Adventure System.

Lastly,WoC has done a really good thing with DnDClassics.com, it's a real step in the right direction for them.

In order to bring new blood into the hobby, they need to make an actual simple game. Something where Fighters hit hard, knights defend well, Wizards have 2-3 choices of spells they can cast as many times as they want (but have things like casting times and interruption balance them), Rogues hide and disable traps and open locks. If the rules of the game can't fit on a double sided piece of cardboard (8.5in.x11in.) then its too complex. Once they get that (including 4 miniatures for the players and several for the DM) they should put it all in the box (with maps and the adventure) and sell it as a 'board game' at places like wal-mart and target and get it out there. Advertise it on tv as the newest fad. Then come out with an 'advanced' version where they layer on new classes, monsters, rules, and adventures.

It'll never happen though...

In order to bring new blood into the hobby, they need to make an actual simple game. Something where Fighters hit hard, knights defend well, Wizards have 2-3 choices of spells they can cast as many times as they want (but have things like casting times and interruption balance them), Rogues hide and disable traps and open locks. If the rules of the game can't fit on a double sided piece of cardboard (8.5in.x11in.) then its too complex. Once they get that (including 4 miniatures for the players and several for the DM) they should put it all in the box (with maps and the adventure) and sell it as a 'board game' at places like wal-mart and target and get it out there. Advertise it on tv as the newest fad. Then come out with an 'advanced' version where they layer on new classes, monsters, rules, and adventures.

It'll never happen though...

It's funny, but warlock from 3.5 and sword sage from 3.5 mixed with 4e essentials rouge/thief and a 1e cleric might all from level 1-5 with only basic options might make that work...

Why do you think that the people who want to try out PnP RPGs can't understand "complex" rules?

the word can't is wrong there.

They CAN understand complex rules, but when you have a choice to learn one of 3 new games, and one has an index card sized set of rules, one has a three page booklet of rules, and one has a 250+ page of rules. the last one falls out of choice pretty quickly.

Start simple, then say "Hey if you like this, here is a more advanced set of rules" works way better IMO

Derren

Hero
Start simple, then say "Hey if you like this, here is a more advanced set of rules" works way better IMO

Which is completely oblivious to the fact that if you are looking for simple games, there are a lot better alternatives than PnP out there. People who want to play a PnP today want a certain kind of complexity.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads