• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Why I think you should try 4e (renamed)

ggroy

First Post
Despite my reservations about 4E as a game, I actually do like DM'ing it.

In contrast, DM'ing 3E/3.5E was a like "chore" in comparison. DM'ing 1E AD&D can become like "chore" too, if one plays it RAW.

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich
Kzach said:
4e is dry and boring and nonsensical
I keep seeing the same criticisms over and over and over again by (usually) the same people. I'm finally convinced that they're right: 4e is everything they say it is.

Well, I don't think it's any more dry and boring and nonsensical than most other editions, myself, at least in the rulebooks. A stablock is kind of flavorless regardless of the format, but there are other places to inject flavor, and I think 4e uses those as well as any other edition does, by and large.

To my mind, if the 4e rules were meant to be taken and used completely literally without narrative interpretation and imaginative involvement of the players and DM in creating a co-operative story environment, then it would be really boring and it would be very dry and none of the rules would make any sense.

Well, which brings us to the underlying truism about any PnP RPG: The game is only as good as the group running it. This is as true for FATAL as it is for D&D 4e, though.

I realised years ago that I had been missing out on one of the coolest and most fun aspects of roleplaying by adhering to this notion that a game system has to be 'realistic'. The amount of rules I made up to represent hit points and wounds in D&D could fill a small book.

You don't have to have a lot of detailed rules to maintain suspension of disbelief. VP/WP, for instance, isn't very complex. HP has been pretty poorly defined in every edition, so that, at least, isn't a new issue for those who find it breaks their suspension of disbelief (though it's a little different in 4e than it was before). There's a continuum here, and it's certainly possible to have HP be "more realistic," if that's what you want, than they currently are, without having a small book of additional rules.

4e requires you to be imaginative because if you don't, then things start to make very little sense. I'm not saying you can't be imaginative in other systems, just that without some sort of imaginative element, 4e quickly becomes very dry and mechanical and logic breaks down almost immediately.

"4e is only good in the hands of a good group?" If that's true, that's kind of a tragedy, since 4e certainly wanted to be easy enough for ANY group, not just the few ones with a DM who is good at turning dry stuff into interesting stuff.

Shouldn't 4e have tried to be interesting right up front, not demanding that DMs be interesting first? Wouldn't that have made it more accessible, and still allow DMs who have interesting ideas to do their own things (since the DM is always the final arbiter)?

For the naysayers, I say: try it. Just let yourself go. Put the book down and roleplay through the combats with descriptive verses about how you use Tide of Iron to force someone over a cliff or Positioning Strike to weave through the battlefield or Rain of Steel to cleave about you mercilessly. Be imaginative.

Man, knocking someone off a cliff is hard in 4e. Aside from not being able to push people more than one square off the edge (you can't force movement to somewhere you can't move normally to), they then get a saving throw to go prone instead of to fall off (50% chance).

So first you've gotta hit them (maybe 60% chance), then you've gotta move 'em into the empty space (depends on the power how easy that is), then they STILL get a chance to not get boned (50% chance).

I mean, 4e can certainly throw up some barriers to awesomeness. A good group will probably ignore those barriers when they conflict with awesomeness, but that's true in any edition of D&D, or in any PnP RPG, period. If I've got a good group, and we're happy playing Pathfinder, maybe, what's 4e gonna do? Say "Hey, you can have the same fun you're having now by learning a brand new ruleset and being forced to be creative, even when your mind is feeling lazy from 48 hours of Recession-week work?"

Man, maybe I should just go play Diablo. It's certainly less friggin' work. ;)

Ariosto

First Post
Compared with what? A good part of how one judges the destination may be where one started, the basis in what is familiar. If one has spent the past decade or so playing a game with an even heavier burden of rules, then the contrast with that particular piece of work may seem liberating. If one's idea of roleplaying is coming up with "descriptive verses" for game-mechanical transactions, then more dissociated mechanisms may be just the thing.

I have tried it repeatedly. I have found it rules-heavy and slow-paced, and those other adjectives as well. No doubt that has to do with coming from decades of playing RPGs much less complex and (in terms of encounter resolution) time consuming. You're talking about a game past the scale of RuneQuest or The Fantasy Trip, practically in Champions territory. It's a long, long way from what I have known as D&D.

So, your reply to the response may exhibit a lack of perspective and understanding. Indeed, your very words might be sent back to you: "Be imaginative. You never know, you might like it." Do you really need 800+ pages of rule-books (in the first three volumes alone, never mind, e.g., PHB 2)? Do you need all that square-counting and number-crunching, the lists of powers to define your options?

Maybe you do, but if you assume that everyone else does then you may be missing the point. One of my all-time favorite RPGs (the 1976 1st ed. Metamorphosis Alpha) has but 32 pages (albeit of small type). You can get it for free online, thanks to designer Jim Ward's generosity. That's my idea of a game that requires and stimulates imagination.

Jasperak

Adventurer
One of my all-time favorite RPGs (the 1976 1st ed. Metamorphosis Alpha) has but 32 pages (albeit of small type). You can get it for free online, thanks to designer Jim Ward's generosity. That's my idea of a game that requires and stimulates imagination.

Do you have a link?

MichaelK

First Post
I didn't find that very convincing.

Judging only from what you've written there it seems like I've got two choices.

1) Play 3e and have a realistic system that works, plus I can use my imagination with it to make it even better.

2) Play 4e and the system is so dull, boring and nonsensical that I'll have to cover over its system flaws with my imagination.

I'm not saying that's what 4e is actually like, I'm just saying that's how it sounds in your post.

Ariosto

First Post
Do you have a link?
Metamorphosis Alpha - Science Fiction RPG

There is a free .rtf file of the text, plus files for the cross-section, sample levels and modular-dwelling diagrams -- and links to articles from Dragon Magazine and White Dwarf and other neat stuff.

As noted at the top of the page, a PDF of the book is for sale at RPG Now and Drive Thru RPG.

The newer site (concentrating on the latest edition) is Home (metamorphosisalpha.net rather than .com). A PDF errata sheet for the first edition is there on this page: http://www.metamorphosisalpha.net/html/ma1e.html.

Last edited:

Jasperak

Adventurer
Metamorphosis Alpha - Science Fiction RPG

There is a free .rtf file of the text, plus files for the cross-section, sample levels and modular-dwelling diagrams -- and links to articles from Dragon Magazine and White Dwarf and other neat stuff.

As noted at the top of the page, a PDF of the book is for sale at RPG Now and Drive Thru RPG.

The newer site (concentrating on the latest edition) is Home (metamorphosisalpha.net rather than .com).

Thanks, I went to that site and saw they were charging for the PDF but didn't look far enough down to see that they offered the rules in RTF format. Thanks again.

Last edited:

Dragonblade

Adventurer
I have tried it repeatedly. I have found it rules-heavy and slow-paced, and those other adjectives as well. No doubt that has to do with coming from decades of playing RPGs much less complex and (in terms of encounter resolution) time consuming. You're talking about a game past the scale of RuneQuest or The Fantasy Trip, practically in Champions territory. It's a long, long way from what I have known as D&D.

I have played a lot of Champions and if you think 4e is in Champions territory, frankly, you don't know what you are talking about. 4e is not even close to Champions. 3.5e is much closer to Champions level complexity than 4e is. I was constantly having to flip through my books when playing or DMing 3.5e.

In fact, 4e is the first edition of D&D where I have played entire sessions without anyone, DM included, needing to open a rulebook. At all.

And not only that, but playing with full confidence that we aren't fudging anything, winging it, or guessing what we thought a rule was. Now THAT is rules light for me.

Remove ads