• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Why is polymorph so limited???

Elvinis75

First Post
Why was poly changed so much?
I'm not seeing the reasoning for the non-complaince with the rules as far as constitution(no hp adjustment).
Why put a HD limitation?
Isn't the size good enough?

mikebr99

Explorer
Elvinis75 said:
Why was poly changed so much?
I'm not seeing the reasoning for the non-complaince with the rules as far as constitution(no hp adjustment).
Why put a HD limitation?
There is a hp adjustment... you get a new CON... modify your base hps to suit.

Mike

Li Shenron

Legend
Elvinis75 said:
Why put a HD limitation?

It's probably possible to find a creature of the correct type and of medium size that has a lot of HD and therefore (since it means eventually it's supposed to be a high CR creature) may also have very high stats or good special attacks.

If you mean instead the "cap" of 15HD, it's probably only a spell cap to keep this 4th level spell below the possibilities granted by higher-level ones like Shapechange.

I don't know at which version you are looking at, but the 3.5 doesn't have an upper limit to size, although generally the biggest creatures have too many HD to qualify. I can't remember how many versions of this spell have been released by WotC, eventually there is always something that allows some sort of exploitation which goes beyond what a 4th level spell should be doing.

I think that the current version allows only some combat boost, and since the duration is so short it is for example very little useful as a disguise.

Li Shenron

Legend
Elvinis75 said:
Are you talking about 3.5?
If so, how does a 3.5 ruling supersede 3.0? I thought that they where seperate?

Ok, so you are sticking to 3.0.

In that case, although I don't remember anymore how it evolved :rolleyes: , you should use the T&B version.

Of course, no one should be compelled to buy T&B to play the game, which allows use to use the 3.0 PHB edition as well.

In synthesis... do whatever you wish that it is always the best way :D

Elvinis75

First Post
Li Shenron said:
It's probably possible to find a creature of the correct type and of medium size that has a lot of HD and therefore (since it means eventually it's supposed to be a high CR creature) may also have very high stats or good special attacks.

If you mean instead the "cap" of 15HD, it's probably only a spell cap to keep this 4th level spell below the possibilities granted by higher-level ones like Shapechange.

Can you give some medium size examples that have amazing stats?
Currently my character has:
Str 20
Dex 21
Con 12
In most cases I would lose ground right.
I was thinking of using it to turn into a giant and attacking.
Yes my stats would change but I still could perish when I change back.
You end up with very little of the creatures abilities so it almost seems like a temp stat booster.

CRGreathouse

Community Supporter
Elvinis75 said:
The spell in the T&B official update says not to?!?

I wasn't able to keep track of the number of times that polymorph changed in 3.0. It was hit with errata in the web files, in Dragon (twice, I think), in T&B, ....

As it was in 3.0, though, polymorph other was much too powerful. An instakill spell, a long-term buff, a utility spell (fly, burrow, or squeeze through small spaces!), and only at level 4! I wouldn't compalain overmuch about making it slightly weaker as T&B may have done. (Was the T&B change the one that tried to clarify Ex vs. natural abilities?)

maddman75

First Post
Here's my houserule in 3.0 to keep polymorph spells under control.

- Change into any number of shapes, but it must be a creature you have personally encountered, and has no more hit dice than you have levels. You gain any extraordinary abilities that exist in the real world - so you would get a bat's blindsight or a troll's Rend ability, but not the troll's regeneration. Up to one size larger or two smaller.

- For Polymorph other it's the same, except the target has to roll a will save or begin to believe that the new form is his 'true form', even fighting if his friends try to change him back. Takes care of the 'make everyone trolls' problem.

Remove ads