• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Why is the "Dungeons & Dragons" label so discreet in 5E?

tuxgeo

Adventurer
From 1977-1999 we had "Advanced" Dungeons & Dragons and that went away in 2000 with 3E. Now for the first time in 40 years the "Dungeons & Dragons" label is barely noticeable compared to the more prominent "D&D." Does WOTC consider there to be a stigma against Dungeons & Dragons? I'm reminded of Kentucky Fried Chicken fearing bad connotations with the word "Fried" years ago when they permanently relabeled themselves KFC. Are we seeing something similar with D&D?

< image snipped >

Not similar at all.

The case of KFC was special: The Commonwealth of Kentucky voted themselves rights to receive royalties whenever anyone worldwide used the word "Kentucky" in a commercial product, figuring they would get bucketloads of $$$ from Yum! brands.

Didn't work: Yum! shortened the name to "KFC" so they wouldn't owe royalties to Kentucky.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
For those of us hobbyists, that might be OK. But for the uninitiated approaching the bookstore shelf, the reaction may be "Player's Handbook... For what?"

If the viewer is asking a question, that's probably a good thing - you've made them curious! The problem is if saying, "Player's Handbook" fails to catch their eye or interest.

< image snipped >

Not similar at all.

The case of KFC was special: The Commonwealth of Kentucky voted themselves rights to receive royalties whenever anyone worldwide used the word "Kentucky" in a commercial product, figuring they would get bucketloads of $$$ from Yum! brands.

Didn't work: Yum! shortened the name to "KFC" so they wouldn't owe royalties to Kentucky.
When I read that my initial reaction was "oh, that is total BS." But snopes totally backs you up, so I owe you an e-apology for doubting.
I learned something new today.

Kai Lord

Hero
Well it certainly doesn't seem that there is any widespread concern over WOTC diminishing the "Dungeons & Dragons" label so I'll take it as an aesthetic design choice and nothing more. :D

Beleriphon

Totally Awesome Pirate Brain
Well it certainly doesn't seem that there is any widespread concern over WOTC diminishing the "Dungeons & Dragons" label so I'll take it as an aesthetic design choice and nothing more. :D

Aesthetic as you not, also likely related to a larger branding effort where the D&D logo will be more prominent on things like t-shirts.

Essenti

Explorer

If you look at the 1E Players Handbook, it merely said Advanced D&D in the upper left corner. WotC wasn't the first to make the D&D part prominent on the cover of a PHB. I definitely would not be concerned over an essentially aesthetic change.

dungeons_and_dragons_classic_players_handbook_cover.jpg

Dahak

Explorer
Has there been any precedent for any company moving away from an iconic label that they were proud of in favor of an abbreviation? It seems like the only time it was done before was due to a perceived stigma of the full title.

World Wrestling Entertainment started using the WWE brand name to the exclusion of its formal name. There is some talk it was done to excise the stigmatized word "wrestling", but it was likely just a streamlining.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads