• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Why is there no dwarf-hate?

Klaus

First Post
Clavis said:
I guess how much you hate elves has much to do with how your DM presents them. I never liked Tolkien-style, dripping-with-ancient-wisdom style elves. Going to an elven village in my campaigns was always much more like attending a more hygienic version of Woodstock. As far as I could tell, the players loved all the free drugs, sex, and music they would find. My elves are more like nearly immortal teenagers, who spend most of the day stoned and having sex with whoever is convenient. They are definitely NOT the wisest or most learned race (that would be the Gnomes), but are impulsive and very emotional (CHAOTIC Good). Nor do I make them the oldest race, despite their long lifespans (that's the Gnomes once again). So, my players have never had any real reason for elf-hate.
Yeah, never had that problem with my players, either.

If anything, the LotR movies instilled some elf-hate in them, though.

Humanaut

First Post
I've been itch'n for a Dwarven Paladin since 2e, as soon as i had a DM in 3... oh yeah, first guy i made was that dream paladin... his dumb stat was Int so he had a trace of The Tick in him... :p He died heroicly fighting Shadows at a mere 4th level :(

Clavis

First Post
Humanaut said:
I've been itch'n for a Dwarven Paladin since 2e...

You should get medicine for that, and make it point not to associate with THOSE kind of Dwarf girls again...

They get all kind of funky things in those dank caverns!

TheAuldGrump

First Post
Rechan said:
Clearly you've never been part of "Do dwarven women have beards" argument. ;)
Elwood said:
The problem with elves is they got no meat on 'em. What you need is a two-hundred and forty pound dwarven woman with hair on her chin you can hold on to!
The only good line in the stinkin' movie! :D

The Auld Grump, any similarities to Grumpy the dwarf are purely coincidental.

Simm

First Post
I think their reliability also comes into it. The more hated races: elves, halflings, gnomes, and kender all have a tendency to skive off when things go bad. Both PC and NPC dwarves tend to stick around when the going gets tough, maybe the 20' move has somthing to do with that. You can almost always trust a dwarf to stick around and take a few hits when you need them to.

Driddle

First Post
The_Gneech said:
Notice that even this thread, which is not "why do people hate elves" but "why DON'T people hate dwarves," is still getting people explaining why they hate elves!

Because once you loathe elves, you've got no hate left for anything else. It's all-consuming.

But I try to hold a little hate in reserve for dwarves' movement penalty. Can't stand them because they're so stupidly slow. Always tripping over their own beards. Even the women.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads