• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Why is There No Warlord Equivalent in 5E?

Staffan

Legend
No. That is some kind of exaggeration.

Please elaborate. What has the 4e warlord really going on besides healing and lending attacks?
I always failed to see the original concept of the warlord and always questioned why they are not fighter... (except for those two abilities I mentioned).
Part of this is not just found in the Warlord class, but also in the Fighter class. In 4e, the Fighter was a Defender – or a tank, in MMO parlance. They could take a lot of damage, and dish out OK but not amazing damage, and penalize enemies for attacking their allies. The 5e fighter is a much more generic class.

The Warlord was a Leader, although I think it would have been better to use Support. They heal, buff, remove conditions, "shield" via temporary hp, and move allies into position. So they fill a very different role than a 4e Fighter.

However, even ignoring that I do not think 5e works very well for a 4e-style Warlord, because many of their abilities relied on specifics of how 4e worked:
  • 4e assumed you were playing on a grid, and positioning on that grid was pretty important in order to gain flanking/combat advantage, fit things into smaller AOEs, and so on. 5e by comparison does not assume the use of a grid, and does not have many abilities that depend on positioning (e.g. flanking). So moving allies around isn't as useful.
  • 4e healing was based on healing surges: batches of healing equal to 25% of your max hp, of which you had a limited number per day. Almost all healing in the game was in the form of "spend a healing surge", possibly with an added upside. Since the healing scaled with your actual hp, it was always relevant. In 5e, you instead have Hit Dice, which stay the same in power but you get more of them as you level up. So an ability that lets you spend a healing surge will always remain relevant, but one that lets you spend a HD will pretty soon become fairly useless.
  • In 4e, almost all offensive abilities were attacks. If a wizard cast a fireball, they roll an attack against each target in the area. This means that an ability that gives an ally a bonus to attack rolls will always help that ally. But in 5e, most spells use saves, so unless your wizard buddy is planning to cast fire bolt instead of fireball, a +2 to attack won't help them.
  • In 4e, most debuffs and persistent damage effects were "save ends", which meant that at the end of each of your turns you would roll d20 for each such effect, and on a 10+ you got rid of it. So condition relief mostly came in the form of letting an ally roll an extra save out of turn. But in 5e, most debuffs have a fixed duration – some do have a "save ends" clause, but that uses the same save as when suffering the ability in the first place.
So basically, every tool in the Warlord's toolbox works differently. It's like having a full set of metric wrenches, but all the bolts are in imperial measurements. It's just not going to work as well.

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
We built a bunch of setting specific ones, some just 3 levels. It's a really great design space that would be much better for 5E than endless subclasses no one can play unless they start a new character every time they want to try something.
Mechanical options that don't require you to start a new character to try them? Something akin to heresy!

Undrave

Legend
Why not? If I made a class right now for 5e that stopped at 10, what would break (assuming MCing was allowed, of course)?
I already feel like 5e multi classing is really wonky is all.
The Class name was Warlord. It is not possible to get away from the connotations of that word. It means what it means.
Heh it implies experience and knowledge in the art of war, it doesn't confer automatic authority.

Remove ads