• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Why isn't there an Alchemist Conversion (pathfinder to 5e?)

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
Hello

A few years back I played a 3.5/pathfinder sort of hybrid and I made an alchemist. I had a lot of fun with it, and found the class to be a "jack of most trade, and pretty good at many of them". Amusingly, I had the highest AC and second highest HP. I was left with the impression that this was a very fun class to play and that while clearly not for everyone, a portion of players would want to keep playing it.

So I started poking around this forum, and to my dismay, I didn't find any conversions to 5e! Am I missing something? Did I completely fail my "search forum check"? Am I deluded into thinking the class is fun (ie no one else wants to bother)? Are angry Pathfinder lawyers waiting to sue anyone who dares convert their material to 5e? Are there unique challenges to converting an alchemist into 5e that make the task avoided by everyone? etc etc

delericho

Legend
Maybe all of the people who enjoyed the alchemist are still playing pathfinder.

It's probably this.

Plus, one other thing...

Are angry Pathfinder lawyers waiting to sue anyone who dares convert their material to 5e?

Nope. In fact, the Alchemist is open under the OGL, which means that a conversion is legally quite easy - all the bits you need are open.

Except...

Most of the small third-party projects for 5e seem to be done under the DMguild... and the DMguild is incompatible with the OGL. That possibly lessens the motivation for someone to do that conversion.

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
Well one challenge would be the notion of the "2/3 caster", a-la 3.x/pathfinder bard... they would have to either be made into full casters (a mistake I think) or have a new chart made up. I also don't know how well the spell list would convert.

I'm not familiar at all with the DMguild, I will have to look that up.

Remove ads