• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Why Lichdom?

Irda Ranger

First Post
Secondly cloning is a totally viable way to go, but your character still have to worry about the cost of building multiple vats, worry about the frailties of the human body including dying. You listed Manshoon as your example, but Manshoon isn't hard to kill because of his clones, he's hard to kill because he's a vampire that's cloned himself.
Sorry, but I don't acknowledge any of the "official" FR timelines after the Grey Box.

GameOgre

Adventurer
Also clones are............not you.

I mean they are you but you also still are around.

It's like right now if I could clone myself back in my youthful age of 25 I wouldn't do it. Way too much has happened to me and I would lose all that.

Now if I was a powerful wizard I might figure out a way around that right? So I could be me at 25 with everything I know now? Kick arse! but even then....I'm still here!

I'm not going to kill myself so that some other me can be young AND have all my memories. As much as that guy might be me in a very real way he isn't ME.

Now maybe I could have set all that up so when I die of old age or whatever....THEN it would happen but that is also risky. What if it doesn't work? One of my enemies messes it up or the magic goes wrong or.....I mean it's D&D world right? Crazy crap happens all the time.

While Undeath in the form of a Lich might suck a little less. I'm still me and will always be me just undead me. I will go on and not be foiled by this mortal coil.....I can see that being attractive to some!

Also clones are............not you. ...

Actually they are you, as if by ... magic. Your soul, memories, abilities and personality all inhabit the cloned body. A body which is a clone of your original at its' current or younger age. I would certainly take a clone of my 25 year old body today if this complete transference occurred. My health insurance premiums would drop through the floor!

GameOgre

Adventurer
Actually they are you, as if by ... magic. Your soul, memories, abilities and personality all inhabit the cloned body. A body which is a clone of your original at its' current or younger age. I would certainly take a clone of my 25 year old body today if this complete transference occurred. My health insurance premiums would drop through the floor!

It used to work that it was a clone of you at that exact moment you took the clone piece. So you would know nothing about anything past that point.

Also are you sure? You would kill yourself right now so that a copy of you who was younger could live? I mean it's not YOU. It's HIM. If you get my meaning.

Nytmare

David Jose
I'm guessing the trick is to hide your clone vats in a bag of holding and make the bag of holding your buddy's phylactery.

Also are you sure? You would kill yourself right now so that a copy of you who was younger could live? I mean it's not YOU. It's HIM. If you get my meaning.

Ah, the "Star Trek Transporter disintegrates YOU and creates a perfect copy that IS NOT YOU" postulate. Not to worry. This is MAGIC and a definable essence called a soul. So sure, in that situation where you go to sleep in one body and awake in another, better body (that is YOU because, clone!), sign me up.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads