Why no "Mass Spell" feat?

AuraSeer

Prismatic Programmer
I knew somebody was going to bring up the disgusting possibility of Mass Harm. Luckily, that's not an issue in my game, as Harm has been nerfed. :D

As for researching new spells: it's a neat idea for a wiz, but I play a sorcerer. I've already got Haste and Fly on my list. If "Massness" comes packaged as a feat, then I don't have to fill up my higher-level slots with redundant spells, and I don't have to burn the whole day's worth of 3rd-level slots just so the party can fly across a chasm.

The Iron Mark

First Post
Kind of off topic, but oh well. What would you guys think of a feat that makes spells with charges create more than 1 charge at once? Example: I cast a multiple charge vampric touch and then attack a guy 3 times. each hit with a charge of vampric touch. You could make it so it gives 1 extra charge for 12-13 Int, 2 extra charges for 14-15 Int, etc.

Lord Pendragon

First Post
I see what you mean about a sorcerer not wanting to burn spell slots, though that doesn't address the problem of Mass Harm and any other "Mass" spells that might be out of whack. I just don't see a feat as feasible, because of the fact that you get different mileage from different Massed spells.

Regarding the issue of needing to burn multiple spells to cast Fly over the whole part, I'd go for Pearls of Power instead. They're expensive at higher levels, but if the party wants to fly, you should be able to get them to pitch in. Once you have a pearl for each party member, casting a spell numerous times is a piece of cake.

Indeed, you may just inform the party that you'll be memorizing Haste and Fly once a day...for yourself. If any party members have a Pearl of Power(s) and want you to use it to cast the spell(s) on them too, cool. Otherwise, they're out of luck. Get them to procure the means for their own buffing. :D

Lord Pendragon

First Post
The Iron Mark said:
Kind of off topic, but oh well. What would you guys think of a feat that makes spells with charges create more than 1 charge at once? Example: I cast a multiple charge vampric touch and then attack a guy 3 times. each hit with a charge of vampric touch. You could make it so it gives 1 extra charge for 12-13 Int, 2 extra charges for 14-15 Int, etc.

I wouldn't allow it. I disagree with allowing a Mass Spell Feat, but can see how it might be playable. This one seems firmly in the "no go" category, especially tied to intelligence, as you've proposed.

Any wizard worth his salt is going to have at least a 16 int at first level, so the feat would always give at least three extra charges. It'd be like having three free quickened spells for the price of a single casting.

With the feat:

Round 1: Cast Extra Charged Vampiric Touch
Round 2: Touch enemy.
Round 3: Touch enemy.
Round 4: Touch enemy.

Without the feat to get the same effect:

Round 1: Cast Vampiric Touch
Round 2: Touch enemy.
Round 3: Cast Quickened Vampiric Touch
Round 3: Touch enemy.
Round 4: Cast Quickened Vampiric Touch
Round 4: Touch enemy.

So this feat is giving you two free Quickened spells. Since Quicken Spell itself is +4 spell levels, what kind of +levels would make Extra-Charges Spell balanced...?

I don't know. I suppose some DMs could find a way to make it work for them, but I'd never let it fly.

Kesh

First Post
AuraSeer said:
I knew somebody was going to bring up the disgusting possibility of Mass Harm. Luckily, that's not an issue in my game, as Harm has been nerfed. :D

You're welcome. :D Basically, I brought it up because it was the most extreme example of what I was trying to get across. If you could easily Mass anything with a feat, things can get out of hand. Still, if it doesn't bother the DM, feel free to try it out.

As for researching new spells: it's a neat idea for a wiz, but I play a sorcerer. I've already got Haste and Fly on my list. If "Massness" comes packaged as a feat, then I don't have to fill up my higher-level slots with redundant spells, and I don't have to burn the whole day's worth of 3rd-level slots just so the party can fly across a chasm.

Meh. Make the lazy bums climb. ;) I can see your point though.

Elric

First Post
Mass Heal is probably too powerful. Try an encounter against a group of undead to see how ridiculous it is. Even if you aren't fighting undead, it cures the entire party of all damage as long as you're close together. It's kind of funny that the living have a really good spell to use against the dead (Mass Heal), but the dead have no Mass Harm to use against the living...

Marshall

First Post
Exactly what I was thinking.

Applying Mass Spell to a touch attack or ray spell wouldnt work because you only get the one attack that sets the spell off.

Now why I could 'touch' my allies with Mass Fly but miss my enemies I dont know.

nameless

First Post
There's no need for a 'Mass Spell' feat. Look at Chain Spell from T&B. It changes most spells from 1 target to 1 target/level (a la Chain Lightning), with a few caveats.

1. If the spell deals damage, the first target takes full and the rest take half. This halving stacks with halving from a successful save, if any.

2. If the spell deals no damage, but allows a save, the primary target gets full effect, and the rest get a +4 to their save.

For spells like Fly, Haste, etc which aren't normally saved against anyways, you can chain them to a good amount of people.

-nameless

Remove ads