• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Why no plate for fighters?

Tyrrell

First Post
I'm just starting to look through my shiny new 4th ed players handbook and I noticed that Fighters are not proficient with plate armor.

Why is this , it's a break in theme from previous editions?

Is there a mechanics reason to justify it?

(Is there a search feature on these boards for those of us who don't use them enough to warrant paying for them?)

Xorn

First Post
Take it as a feat. You can wear scale, which is pretty awesome, too. With the vast array of usefulness from Combat Challenge & Superiority, I think needing a feat for Plate was a balance decision.

Xorn

First Post
Yeah, I'd like to hear more on that. Chainmail is a great option if you're say... a warlord, and don't want to blow a feat on Scale. Or a Cleric.

The farther you are proficiency-wise from plate, the better chain mail is. :)

thalmin

Retired game store owner
Tyrrell said:
I'm just starting to look through my shiny new 4th ed players handbook and I noticed that Fighters are not proficient with plate armor.

Another sacred cow to the BBQ. Only paladins start with plate. From the PHB, pg 76, fighters have "the ability to wear very good armor". From page 90, a paladin wears "the best armor available." Note clerics no longer get plate, either. Of course, you can take the Armor Proficiency (Plate) feat if you wish.

Is there a mechanics reason to justify it?
I don't know.

(Is there a search feature on these boards for those of us who don't use them enough to warrant paying for them?)
No, but you can pay for Search for $7.50 for 3 months.

abeattie

First Post
Tyrrell said:

Well I note a few things

1) there are now levels of each armor, even cloth, that are more protective. Higher levels of Scale are as protective as full-plate used to be.

2) we now get SOOO many feats that the value of a feat has been diluted

3) it encourages us to play fighters that use dex for protection, which fits in well with the whole super-proficient warrior rather than a heavy handed tool user (you are not the bonus listed on your armor, you are the living beating center of a universe... etc..)

WereMike

First Post
abeattie said:
2) we now get SOOO many feats that the value of a feat has been diluted
Respectfully, I disagree that the value of feats have been diluted.

The way I read it, they've increased the selection of feats to increase the inherent (intrinsic?) power of a PC instead of forcing characters to stock up on magic equipment/items as in 3.5. In particular, the racial feats add power and influence to a character throughout their career instead of at 1st level.

As cool as magic weapons and equipment are, I like seeing the PC being decked out with powers/feats inherent to their character. As a DM, I'm looking forward to capturing and imprisoning my group, stripping them of all equipment and weapons, and seeing how they escape using only their wits, daring, and inherent powers.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads