• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Why no politics or religion?

STARP_JVP

First Post
I'm just curious as to why politics and religion are taboo or banned subjects on this forum, and the other EN World forums too? Did something happen before I got here than warranted the ban? I can believe it has something to do with tempers running hot and emotions flaring and so on, but surely we're all adults who can take a bit of healthy debate, aren't we? I mean, why this censorship? I'm just asking?

Haradim

Explorer
STARP_JVP said:
but surely we're all adults who can take a bit of healthy debate, aren't we?

The internet has repeatedly proven that the answer to that question is 'no'.

It almost always leads to flamewars and administration headaches.

BiggusGeekus

That's Latin for "cool"
STARP_JVP said:
I mean, why this censorship? I'm just asking?

Well you could say that you just hit it right there. It isn't censorship. This is a privately owned site.

RPG.net has a forum for politics and the like. There was a sister site of ENWorld called "Nutkinland" which basically acted as the overflow for all the topics you couldn't discuss here. It isn't currently up though. I don't know why.

msd

First Post
Speaking for me personally...

I like the fact that the discussion is limited. I come here for discussions about gaming and the restrictions that are in place work to ensure a high signal to noise ratio. :D

Don't get me wrong...I love discussing religion and politics and don't even mind a heated discussion with a little good ol' name calling thrown in for good measure, but I would rather do that on a board that is dedicated to that kind of thing.

Anyhoo, that's me...YMMV.

:D

Psionicist

Explorer
Because [those with opinions you don't agree with] can't handle the truth and are very immature, unlike the geniuses amongst [those you agree with] who can handle a debate or two. Of course. :cool:

William Ronald

Explorer
BiggusGeekus said:
Well you could say that you just hit it right there. It isn't censorship. This is a privately owned site.

RPG.net has a forum for politics and the like. There was a sister site of ENWorld called "Nutkinland" which basically acted as the overflow for all the topics you couldn't discuss here. It isn't currently up though. I don't know why.

This is Morrus' site, which allows him to limit the rules. This site is about gaming, and Morrus (as well as Eric Noah before him) decided to not include political and religious discussion on the boards.

I think it is possible to have a good discussion on politics and religion, and I believe such dialogues are good for individuals and societies. However, people can become easily offended when they believe their beliefs are under attack. This can often degenerate into name calling and personal attacks. By that point, it is rare that any meaningful discussion takes place. (i will coment on politics and religion elsewhere, but I believe in following the rules of any message board that I am on -- out of respect for the people who keep it running.)

STARP_JVP, there is no shortage of blogs and websites to talk about politics and religions from many different perspectives. I think that these boards have benefitted by being focused on gaming. However, there are several excellent boards such as RPG.Net and Nothingland, the current name of Nutkinland, that have some good discussions on politics, gaming, religion and other topics. (Biggus Geekus, Cyberzombie said that Nothingland is down this week for some maintenance work. So, Nothingland will return soon.)

There have been some good discussions on these boards about using real world religions and religious texts as a source for gaming. Unfortunately, many of these threads end up being shut down by people inserting sarcastic or offensive comments. Sadly, there are many people who are adults who don't act like adults or show respect to any opinions that differ from their own.

Remove ads